View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts Dec 30 2007, 01:13 PM Post #1

Stock

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,222

i have read the article posted about rider sag but i dont know how to find a percentage of 30 in the number i have got, after all the tests on free and rider sag( yep i am thick ) IVE got on the front a total of 40mm FREE SAG and on the rear ive got 30 mm of FREE SAG . My rider sag is BASICALLY when i sit on the bike the REAR has gone done a totall of 100mm and the FRONT has gone down a total of 60 mm these are my results now from here i dont know what to do, can any one tell me if these measurements are ok or if my preload needs to be slackened off or tightend up as for the rest i am comfortable with the rest compresion and rebound i really need to sort this out as the other day i was on a rough mx track due to the weather and it was unbearably rough after 30 mins i was knackered and went home . My bike k7 ltr 450 all stock settings i ride with 5 psi in the rear and front the bike is rough and bottoms out big time but to start i want to make sure my rider sag is correct to start with . Oh my weight is 250 lb (16 stone) with gear on and only ride mx with stock wheels thanks steve---------- ps im a fat twat

bradley300
01-01-2008, 09:11 AM
its hard to dial in the sag when you cant talk to the shock builder to know where he wants it. each builder may valve for a little different sag number and since you have stock shocks, you will never know what they were thinking.

the best you can do on your own is just ride and tune, ride and tune until you get comfortable with the settings.

you say its rough and bottoms out, i would lower the preload rings (stiffen) and the soften the compression adjustment. my thinking is your compression is very stiff: causing the rought ride, but your ride height is too low: so the shocks dont have far enough to travel, making them bottom easy

bradley300
01-01-2008, 09:17 AM
and just as info, free sag means absolutly nothing, when is the last time you rode your quad while you were not on it? anything you do with the suspension needs to be considered with your weight on the quad

and the 30% number is a little off i have learned since i posted that, 50% seems more realistic. to find that number in sag, just find how much travel your quad has in the rear and divide by 2, thats your rider sag. once the rear is dilaed in, i would adjust the front sag so the front is .25 -.5 inches higher than the rear. measure the rear at the foot peg and the front at 22 inches ahead of the footpeg

remeber, this is what i was told by GT Thunder to set up shocks that he builds, so it might not work for your stock shocks. it does however give you a starting point

400exrider707
01-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Good info Bradley300

01-01-2008, 11:55 AM
so the rear should sag 50% of its full travel? thats crazy mine is no where near that lol

400exrider707
01-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
so the rear should sag 50% of its full travel? thats crazy mine is no where near that lol

From your sig, I take it you're running stock suspension? That would be why.

bradley300
01-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Good info Bradley300 :D

i try my best

01-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
From your sig, I take it you're running stock suspension? That would be why.

what about with revalve/resprung shocks?

400exrider707
01-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
what about with revalve/resprung shocks?

The answers to your problems.;)