PDA

View Full Version : 400ex vs Banshee

400exdude18
01-01-2008, 01:00 AM
ok my friend had a raptor 700 with full exhaust power comander and k&n and i have a 03 400ex with a slip on and a k&n and i use to be able to hang with him till 3rd gear from a stop. well he sold that and is now getting a stock 04 Banshee. do you think ill beat him?

glamiskid395
01-01-2008, 01:04 AM
i think he'll still beat you but ive never raced a shee so i cant say for sure

01-01-2008, 01:06 AM
depends on the riders. I can beat my cousin on his banshee when we were stock vs stock all i had was the shoke removed. We would run really close and even when he got a pipes and a K&N i beat him by a half a length. Its the riders and who knos their machine better. A 400ex with a exhaust and K&N will deffinately beat a banshee

firefighterjosh
01-01-2008, 01:13 AM
You will get spanked, even a 400ex with a piston and piped will get beat pretty good by a stock banshee.

400exdude18
01-01-2008, 01:17 AM
idk cuz he raced one on his 700 and at 3rd gear he had the Banshee by a 2 bikes and i use to stay with him till 3rd. but then again driver is a big factor.

hornetgod13
01-01-2008, 01:17 AM
You don't stand a chance unless you let the air out of his tires when he's not looking.

400exdude18
01-01-2008, 01:18 AM
well what is a Banshee a 450?

firefighterjosh
01-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by 400exdude18
well what is a Banshee a 450?

350cc

hornetgod13
01-01-2008, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
350cc

A two stroke 350cc. Twice as deadly. You don't stand a chance against a two stroke of that size unless he breaks down.

firefighterjosh
01-01-2008, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
A two stroke 350cc. Twice as deadly. You don't stand a chance against a two stroke of that size unless he breaks down.

Add twin cylinder to that:D

400exdude18
01-01-2008, 01:29 AM
hmm i will beat him i guess ill mess with is carb make is fat. i hate two storke damn weed eaters.

hornetgod13
01-01-2008, 01:31 AM
hmm i will beat him i guess ill mess with is carb make is fat. i hate two storke damn weed eaters.

It has 2 carbs and dual exhausts as well. Sounds like a chain saw.

400exdude18
01-01-2008, 01:49 AM
its like having two 175 cc motors

01-01-2008, 02:28 AM

my friend with the banshee said to my friend that didnt know 2 stroke or 4 stroke he just hated how the2 stroke sounded not knowing what they are. So my friend with the banshee say to my other friend, "hey you should get a banshee!" my friend replied with "if I wanted something like your 4 wheeler I would just go to the John Deere store" We all laughed so hard it was great

Hondamaster5505
01-01-2008, 07:55 AM
well, first of all, i dont think the banshee sounds like crap at all.
They have one of the meanest sounding engines when they are piped.

Second of all, it does depend on rider. But if they are equal a stock banshee will beat a piped 400ex. The banshee is still rated at 38hp, and the 400ex is what...25 maybe?

Thats just my opinion, but the 400ex handles better:devil:

jesseweaver
01-01-2008, 08:20 AM
IF the banshee runs, it will beat you. 400ex is much more reliable and handles a lot better though.

maxfior
01-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Just my $0.02. A Banshee is fast. Even stock, the only thing that is really limiting them is tire traction. Most two strokes make such hard hit that they end up spinning wheels. A Banshee with pipes, a little porting and hi-comp pistons can make an easy 60HP or more. They are great for drag, assuming that you can get them to hook up. The one thing that I like most about riding them, is when you get them in the meat of their power band (and are hooked up good), they are pretty much unstoppable. I've made it up some pretty nasty hills with them... The down side to them would be constant maintenance. And with twice the cylinders, you've got twice the things to do. Banshees will run okay, even if they don't have a fresh top end, but I've seen scary things happen to them if not properly maintained... For the most part, unless you are a pretty skilled two stroke rider you should stay away from that engine combination. Most people don't know how to handle the hit from a large two stroke, that's why I never let people ride my older CR250R... It would end in disaster. :eek2:

Max

01-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Banshee is best in a straight line or at the dunes. In the trails or on the track it doesnt stand a chance against a 400ex. Sure you can ride a banshee amazing and think you can fly through tight trails or so but if your on a 400ex you will be even faster. I think the 400ex is a more all around quad and a banshee is something that just wants to g fast in a straight line. No doubt they have amazing power with a few simple mods but how practicle are they unless there is a wide open area?

Ruby Soho
01-01-2008, 10:29 AM
like said above, the banshee is good in a straight line, it can be made good for else where but the 400ex basicly has it stock everywhere else. drag the banshee will beat it no doubt, unless it has bald tires.. ive ridden a stock banshee with bald tires in trails, worst ride of my life

Hondamaster5505
01-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by maxfior
Just my $0.02. A Banshee is fast. Even stock, the only thing that is really limiting them is tire traction. Most two strokes make such hard hit that they end up spinning wheels. A Banshee with pipes, a little porting and hi-comp pistons can make an easy 60HP or more. They are great for drag, assuming that you can get them to hook up. The one thing that I like most about riding them, is when you get them in the meat of their power band (and are hooked up good), they are pretty much unstoppable. I've made it up some pretty nasty hills with them... The down side to them would be constant maintenance. And with twice the cylinders, you've got twice the things to do. Banshees will run okay, even if they don't have a fresh top end, but I've seen scary things happen to them if not properly maintained... For the most part, unless you are a pretty skilled two stroke rider you should stay away from that engine combination. Most people don't know how to handle the hit from a large two stroke, that's why I never let people ride my older CR250R... It would end in disaster. :eek2:

Max

know what we call two-cylinder engines, "double trouble" lol.

And you guys are making the banshee out to not be able to handle at all!

They are decent in handling, for how old the technology is. The only place they really suck is the trails and track.

They handle alright for what they are. They aint gonna be no yfz or 400ex, thats all im saying.

01-01-2008, 12:04 PM
I call a 2 cylinder more work and i call a 4 cylinder a 4 banger lol

Hondamaster5505
01-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
I call a 2 cylinder more work and i call a 4 cylinder a 4 banger lol

lol.

I call my 4-stroke a 4-poker

400exBRAAP
01-01-2008, 12:12 PM
hondamaster. that is what almost everyone else is saying. like, almost exactly word for word. and they are right. the stock suspension on a banshee aint nothing special. sure, you can get by on it, but it still is out dated.

now i dont mean to sound like a prick, but how many people have an MX track right in thier back yard to say, "well Mr. Banshee, you beat me in a drag race, but lets go hit the track now!" thats why, atleast i think thats why, for me personally, when people say, on a track this wheeler can do well, or this wheeler wont do well, it is rather irrelevant to me.

heck, i live in northern NY, and up here, alotta people hate wheelers, and there aint much for trails. and what trails they have up here, they arent what most folks would consider trails. becuz the trails up here are roads, so thats why a banshee would do well around here, becuz the trails are long straight roads.

but i went and bought a 400ex. maybe some would say, well why didnt you go a banshee? becuz around here, no matter the year, for the most part, banshees are expensive. and that becuz, they do well around here.

and BTW, a stock 400ex will NOT beat a stock banshee. banshees, even in stock trim, are FAST, just when you park pipes on there, you can get to that top speed faster, i dont think it really changes the top speed one bit. or if it does, its minimal.

sorry for the long post, hope it was worth it and helpful

01-01-2008, 12:19 PM
IMO takes more skill to ride trails or MX than going in a straight line. My cousin is always saying he can beat everyone on his banshe I say alright lets have a race through the trails or lets both make it our 1st time at the MX track. Even in a staight line i'm a better drag racers than most of my friends. Dont know why must be how and where I shift. Anyways have a challenge with a banshee do 3 different things best 2 out of 3.

1)Drag
2)Trails
3)MX

Banshee will have ya on the 1st if they know what they are doing but i'm almost 100% sure the Banshee will fall short in the other 2

400exBRAAP
01-01-2008, 12:29 PM
drag racing has alot more to it than many people think. for example, reaction time, if your using a tree, or even if you have someone droppin an arm, and like foxhondarider said, knowing when to shift, and actually the method of shifting can make a difference, umm, weight distribution, for gettin the traction needed, and knowing where to line up to get the best traction or hook-up outta the hole.

yes, im sure doing that best 2/3 deal is a grreat idea, heck, if i had access to all three of those things, thats what i would do whenever i got in an argument with someone, but on an MX track, which i have been on a real one ONCE on my CR125 a summer or 2 ago, if Mr. banshee knows how to drive his banshee, and is good at shifting, which goes with knowin how to drive his banshee, he could compete with a 400ex. but this is speaking from watchin, and listenin to people that have raced, and readin things on here, so dont flame me, cuz i aint sayin it def. would beat a 400ex, im sayin it might

01-01-2008, 12:38 PM
I've never been on a MX track I want to but never have been. Homemade and natural tracks and jumps I have been on and I can beat a banshee on the little jumps. Banshee for some reason seems heavy when coming down and its not really smooth. Jumping has skill that plays a role too. Pitching the bike, taking off, preloading, judging speed.

Hondamaster5505
01-01-2008, 02:22 PM
i betcha a banshee with +2 arms, +4 axle, and aftermarket shocks would blow away a 400ex!

They can be made to handle great, but then the only problem left is traction.

Thats why alot of old racers used to run PT mid-range pipes, so its less of a hit on top that breaks the wheels loose easier.

Think about it, alot of people put suspension upgrades on their 400's, so if you bought a banshee for cheaper and put suspension on, and lowered the sproket to a 12-tooth so you dont feather the clutch so much and so its better in trails, the banshee can be just as good as the 400ex, except the 400 would still be a lil better in the trails.

Just my .02

jesseweaver
01-01-2008, 02:39 PM
so it all depends on what kind of riding your doing. this guy said he drags them, so in his case, he would lose to a banshee.

400exdude18
01-01-2008, 03:23 PM
alright thanks everyone.

REPOMAN
01-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
You will get spanked, even a 400ex with a piston and piped will get beat pretty good by a stock banshee.
my three y/o son could beat a banshee with a stock 400. banshee's are only fast if you dump a ton of money into them. i have had plenty of them so i know first hand

Hondamaster5505
01-01-2008, 04:08 PM
you got to be kidding me
Originally posted by REPOMAN
my three y/o son could beat a banshee with a stock 400. banshee's are only fast if you dump a ton of money into them. i have had plenty of them so i know first hand

:eek2: :huh

Banshees are wicked fast!

Ours has basic mods and if flies like hell

XXXRACER165
01-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Know what I think??? This thread has been beatin to death and is time to RIP FOR GOOD!!! The Elite riders unlike any of you guys, will take a Banshee for drags and a 400EX for the trails and a 450 for the track. Thats that now stop bickering.:ermm:

450rJam
01-01-2008, 04:21 PM
it will come down to rider skill, the banshee is more hp but low torque, the 4 stroke is going to put more power to the ground as the 2 stroke loses some in wheel spin

the banshee is NOT impressive in stock form
but add pipes/intake and some porting and its a rocket
(and I agree, the sound of twin cylinder 2 strokes are so chrisp and sharp, just sounds agressive)

with equal riders............
be close to 150' then the shee should pull away

416exfreak
01-01-2008, 04:34 PM
In a drag, stock for stock, you might beat him until he hits 6th gear, then he's coming by you.

If the shee gets pipes and a filter, just hang it up. Your done for.

Got Boost
01-01-2008, 05:46 PM
so 2 strokes have hi compression pistons? hmm, never heard that before, and a well built ex will run with a piped banshee, off the line, but not in the top.

maxfior
01-01-2008, 06:11 PM
LOL. I have to add this link to a drag video I did a while back in Haspin Acres... It's good for a laugh. Most of these dudes were all ripping off at different times, since it was hard for me to get them all to look at my arm drop. Still it was funny... and dusty! Enjoy!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8737502675103543180&q=haspin+drag&total=3&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Max

AutoRoc
01-02-2008, 05:20 PM
My mods listed below ran neck and neck with a piped/jetted 95 banshee. Equal weight riders. We were creeping ahead of 2 stock 250R's. Once he put paddles on, he could put 5 lengths on me out of the hole. OUCH, I need paddles.

Barrymaxx
01-02-2008, 07:12 PM
I like my 400ex, but nothing compares to the fun the power and the sound of a 2-stroke. I started on one and ill deffinitly own another one before I die.

However, I wouldnt have a shee as my main ride, just something to play around on and for hills. Ive towed too many of them back to the truck.

dumontdude10
01-03-2008, 03:57 PM
i raced my cuzin up banshee hill at dumont dunes and he had a white bros exhuast, and paddles, and jet kit. All i had was my 400 ,and a pipe ,and paddles and i still won.

chevyman89
01-03-2008, 04:14 PM
He must not be able to drive or couldn't get traction cause my shee rippes. They are pritty fast without putting much money in them.

casey_lamm
01-04-2008, 03:37 PM
400's dont stand much chance in wide open areas or on courses that have some decent straight stretches.

They suck at turning though...you want to beat one get it one a tight course with lots of tight turns.

Even then you still have to be a good rider.

Originally posted by chevyman89
He must not be able to drive or couldn't get traction cause my shee rippes. They are pritty fast without putting much money in them.

1965 honda
01-04-2008, 05:15 PM
2 stroke = rebuild often
banshees are good drag quads because you cant put alot of miles on them before they blow or lose major compression.
going staight is only fun for so long.:macho

Hondamaster5505
01-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by 1965 honda
2 stroke = rebuild often
banshees are good drag quads because you cant put alot of miles on them before they blow or lose major compression.
going staight is only fun for so long.:macho

I have to disagree and argue a couple things.

"2 stroke = rebuild often"

Yeah, well they are a little cheaper AND easier to rebuild then a four stroke. Most average joes can do it. A banshee that isnt too heavily modded will last a good 2-3 seasons of riding.
My blaster never hinted being tired after 3 years of riding it.

"banshees are good drag quads because you cant put alot of miles on them before they blow or lose major compression."

They just dont "blow" that easily unless you have it built balls to the wall to a point it has a lifespan of a flea. And a 4-stroke completely built out and a banshee completely built out, ive seen four-strokes blow up way more than the banshee because of how much stress and how many more moving parts there are. Thats fully-fully built though. Look at the turbo yfz on heuvos, blew up its 1st time up the hill:rolleyes:

"going staight is only fun for so long.:macho "

Banshees can do more than go straight. Not only will they woop your ace in a drag race, they are the prefered duners out west. Banshees arent as bad handling as people make them out to be. They are alright, just not as good as the 400's, because they have newer technology. With a 12-tooth up front, you dont have to keep feathering the clutch and its easier to keep the r's up so it can be somewhat trailable, but still it isnt that great in that concept. Other than trails, they can be made to handle decent everywhere else

:macho

H_W
01-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by REPOMAN
my three y/o son could beat a banshee with a stock 400.

You have the fastest 3 yr old on earth. There is at least a 10 horse power difference stock for stock and a minimal weight difference. I have seen many stock banshees beat piped 400's. I can beat a stock banshee with my 400, but my 400 is not stock.

casey_lamm
01-04-2008, 07:34 PM
what kind of race are we talking about here? They are hard to beat with mod'ed 400's
Originally posted by H_W
You have the fastest 3 yr old on earth. There is at least a 10 horse power difference stock for stock and a minimal weight difference. I have seen many stock banshees beat piped 400's. I can beat a stock banshee with my 400, but my 400 is not stock.

Sandman69
01-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Unless there is a banshee running off of alcohol I will beat them. Yea it takes many mods, $ and is some cases NOS but the EX comes out ahead

Now I agree that there is no way a stock 400ex would beat a sock banshee, maybe off the line if you know what your doing but that's it. The EX is the best handling machine around. With enough money, sweat and tears you can make the EX faster.

:Dhttp://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5303/oddsandends208sn1.jpg

Hondamaster5505
01-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Sandman69
Unless there is a banshee running off of alcohol I will beat them. Yea it takes many mods, $ and is some cases NOS but the EX comes out ahead

Now I agree that there is no way a stock 400ex would beat a sock banshee, maybe off the line if you know what your doing but that's it. The EX is the best handling machine around. With enough money, sweat and tears you can make the EX faster.

:Dhttp://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5303/oddsandends208sn1.jpg

I kinda have to disagree.

Yours runs about 62 on nos, right?

Well they used to advertise a banshee kit that makes 120hp on pump gas w/o nos. A 400ex cant ever be modded to what the banshee is capable of. There are regular ported ones goin around making about 70hp.

The 400ex is a better handling bike though, and can still haul butt!

Sandman69
01-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
I kinda have to disagree.

Yours runs about 62 on nos, right?

Well they used to advertise a banshee kit that makes 120hp on pump gas w/o nos. A 400ex cant ever be modded to what the banshee is capable of. There are regular ported ones goin around making about 70hp.

The 400ex is a better handling bike though, and can still haul butt!

With the recent new stroker work I have done I am hoping about 70hp. It goes on the Dyno next week. Your right there are many that are around 120hp but those are very few and far between. I should say the majorty of the Banshees I race I beat. The seriously fast and modified bashees I stay away from.;)

450rJam
01-05-2008, 06:41 AM
video that 70hp dyno run, thats pretty far out there even with juice

42 without the bottle is pretty par with any stock 450

some 450's pushing over 60 without nos and getting pulled by banshee's

any shee with the money it would take to get a 400ex to where your is will kill you.

wouldnt mind seeing a few more pictures of yours though

Sandman69
01-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by 450rJam
video that 70hp dyno run, thats pretty far out there even with juice

42 without the bottle is pretty par with any stock 450

some 450's pushing over 60 without nos and getting pulled by banshee's

any shee with the money it would take to get a 400ex to where your is will kill you.

wouldnt mind seeing a few more pictures of yours though

I dont disagree with you thats for sure. But what I can tell you is that the dunes where I ride I will be one of the fastest on the mtn with the juice of course. Once the Dyno is completed I will post it for everyone to see:D

Here is a few more pictures.
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/79/oddsandends174zw9.jpg http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/4402/oddsandends177wq7.jpg http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6788/oddsandends175cc7.jpg http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6131/oddsandends209zz4.jpg

Hondamaster5505
01-05-2008, 10:04 AM
I used to think Franky G's is the fastest 400ex around with that 46- stroker, or that guy with the 502. But you might break that record:D

Sandman69
01-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
I used to think Franky G's is the fastest 400ex around with that 46- stroker, or that guy with the 502. But you might break that record:D

I can tell you that with all the engine blue prints I have along with little secrets my macanic has done to this engine it is like anything you have seen. And I wonder why my wife thinks I love this machine more than her ;)

casey_lamm
01-05-2008, 12:08 PM
that is one impressive quad.
Originally posted by Sandman69
I can tell you that with all the engine blue prints I have along with little secrets my macanic has done to this engine it is like anything you have seen. And I wonder why my wife thinks I love this machine more than her ;)

01-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Sandman 69... every think about getting a better exhaust for that? Curtis sparks x6 or so? I'm pretty sure that would maximize your gains. either way 42HP if quite a bit

Sandman69
01-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Sandman 69... every think about getting a better exhaust for that? Curtis sparks x6 or so? I'm pretty sure that would maximize your gains. either way 42HP if quite a bit

I loved the FMF Core 4 and powerbomb. The low and mid range hits are pretty impressive. I havent looked into Curtis Sparks x6 at all. Whats the specs and difference?

01-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Curtis sparks is generally the exhaust that gives the biggest gains second to HMF. They are loud but pretty impressive. I think the Curtis Sparks would be best.

Sandman69
01-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Curtis sparks is generally the exhaust that gives the biggest gains second to HMF. They are loud but pretty impressive. I think the Curtis Sparks would be best.

Thanks... I will look into it.