PDA

View Full Version : Internal/External Gearing

Evan
11-11-2002, 11:31 PM
My theory is its better to stay as close to stock gearing as possible. But I got to thinkin(this may be stupid)if you geared it down a notch...say 14-38 with stock tires or the equivilant, ok now on the track ur runnin in at least a gear higher, maybe 2, the higher gears(3rd 4th 5th) are geared for more topend right? Would u be going faster with that gearing since you are runnin the higher gears(lets say your motor can pull em) or would the ratios be about the same? Another ? if your geared lower, like above, does it lower your overall ratio down so that you have to shift more when your in the higher gears? Another bonus to run the 14-38 setup is it would hopefully elimanate the need for 1st gear right? So you would no longer be going from 1st to 2nd and havin a chance at hittin neutral. With this gearin you could proably start out in 3rd for the holeshot too right?(if u got the motor)

Sparks425Ex
11-12-2002, 05:50 AM
I have been thinking about internal gearing latley. And i was wondering if changing the gears internally would really change your gear ratio that much or at all.

You have quite the theroy there.

96300ex
11-12-2002, 09:40 AM
I can see how it would be an advantage at the track, where you would rarely hit 5th anyway. But for drag racing I would run higher gearing and shift 1-2. As it is, first gear revs out too quick and second doesn't get traction. If you could up the gearing (externally?) until 1st gear was just a little lower than 2nd was stock, it would be like having a 6th gear. I think if you could use first gear to start off the line, you could easily run enough gearing to push 65-70mph. But, if you did that, would it take longer to build revs in every gear, or would it just rock and roll down the strip like it did with stock gearing, only at a higher speed? Like this, say 1st whould do 5mph before (just for a number to use), then you shift and get through the gears at a certain acceleration. Now, you regear and 1st does 10mph (again just for a number to use as an example). once you wound out 1st would you continue to accelerate at the same rate as before, with you actual speed increased by five. Or would each shift take longer to build revs? Get what i'm saying? If you changed the external gearing the internal gears would still be numerically the same amount apart as they were before, right?:huh

Evan
11-12-2002, 01:10 PM
Ive tried that 96300ex, my problem was i had stock tires so it spun too much but it was the closest I had ever came to gettin a holeshot. But my problem was I HAD to use first in some of the turns, and i started hittin neutral sometimes. With stock gearing 2nd gear is like 1st when its geared up. For the strip, I heared of a guy using a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket with stock tires so he was geared down, and he could come out of the hole in 3RD!!(this was a dirt strip)he didnt have too many mods but he was layin a whuppin on people with lots of mods. Just a thought

96300ex
11-12-2002, 01:15 PM
our strip is long enough to wind out 5th, top end is where i get killed. If i can get traction off the line i can normally hit the finish before they catch up. For example, i raced a Z400 last weekend. i had him the whole way, hit the rev limiter, he passed me right before the finish and i'm out 10 bucks. I need the higher gearing for the longer track.