View Full Version : Trail Tech Vapor Temp Sensor?

Hondamaster5505
12-31-2007, 06:46 PM
Hey guys, well its been a couple days since i installed my vapor, and im gonna install the temp sensor soon.

I have a couple questions about it in general though.

1. The vapor reads the temp from the top of the cylinder head, replacing the crush washer on the spark plug. What kind of temps should i be looking at when its installed? I wanna make sure i know when its overheating or not.

2. Will the wire melt? The spark plug is so deep down in the engine, that wont a cooling fin or just the heat in general melt the wire? Im kinda afraid of that...

3. Is it possible to adapt the temp sensor to the oil in the oil tank? or the oil cooler?

thanks

kaptainkx
12-31-2007, 07:38 PM
not sure if it will help or not being a totally different design and a little less accurate of a sensor, but I had an old 83 ATC 250r air cooled and put a temp sensor for a car on it, just set the sensor between the cooling fins and it would run about 210-220 down the road and 240-250 in the woods where I would run harder and slow actual speed than the road. But again you dealing with air/oil cooling so I would expect cooler temps. Im sure theres better answers out there for you but thats what i had for results

Lowcountrydave
12-31-2007, 08:36 PM
I haven't looked at the temp lately. But it read around 300 F while sitting for periods of time idling. While riding it would run around 260 F on average, through trail riding in the woods. I found it completely unreal to put it where Trail Tech recommends. The design of the sensor interfered with the spark plug socket and tightening it down. I ended up removing the center valve cover bolt and placing the sensor there instead. Running the sensor wire up and along a line, so it didn't contact any hot engine parts.

Hope this helps

Dave