PDA

View Full Version : valve ajustment 450mxr

steve123
12-31-2007, 12:47 AM
Just bought a outlaw 450mxr, the owners manual doesn't give instructions for valve ajustment. Any ideas where to find a service manual for it? dealer wants 300 to due that service every 15 hrs. Is it that detailed of a service item ?

OutlawBill
12-31-2007, 01:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWS9RuEQzc8 this will help

jdm197
12-31-2007, 03:38 AM
wow $300 thats alot. i would look around. i paid like $75.00 to have my 400ex done. it might be air cooled but still. i have to get my outlaw 525 done but i am going to my ktm dealer.

Evasiveone
12-31-2007, 09:38 AM
Do not pay someone to do the valve adjustments on the KTM RFS engines. The RFS engine has the screw and tappet design and it is the easiest engine to do valve adjustment on. It takes me 45 minutes to do one and that includes the time to get the tools and put the tools back. My 12 year old daughter helps me and the 3rd time I adjusted the valves she did it with me watching.

Here is a cut-n-paste of a quick how to I posted on 2 other sites without the pictures.

First go here and read this write up.
http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=43498 paying attention to the 1/2 open 1/2 closed method. After reading this, watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWS9RuEQzc8

The lock down bolt in the front of the engine they talk about when adjusting the valves using the TDC method does not work on the quad since the case is bigger and the bolt is not long enough. But if you want to do the TDC method the Polaris part number for the longer bolt is Polaris part # is PA-48677. I use the adjust the intake when the exhaust is 1/2 open and adjust the exhaust when the intake is 1/2 closing method used in the video and the detailed explanation. This method is quick and cleaner since you do not have to drain the oil. The 1/2 closing 1/2 opening method does work best with a helper!

1. First take off the front plastic, 3 torx nuts on each side and 1 torx under the headlights, then the 2 10 mm bolts on top of the gas tank and the 2 larger torx nuts on the back plastic on the gas tank. The tank is held on by the 2 10 mm bolts at the back.

2. Then put the quad in 5th gear and jack up the rear end.

3. Pull the valve covers 8mm bolt. The gaskets can be reused, but if you rip one buy a new one from here, this is also where I get the oil filters. http://www.cyclezonektm.com/eshopprod_cat_1633-12420-12458_product_150313_keyword_ktm+AND+oil+AND+filte rs.HI_FLO_OIL_FILTER_SET_FOR_KTM_.htm

4. You need a small bent feeler gauge. The specs are for a 0.12 mm / 0.005 in gap. I use this feeler gauge. http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/tappet_feeler_gauge_-_spark_plug_gap_tool_for_ktm/

5. Now rotate the bike tires in the forward dircection a few times to get the feel of watching the intake and exhaust valves open and close. The 2 intake valves are towards the carb and the 2 exhaust valves are towards the front of the bike where the exhaust comes out.

With the engine rotating its correct direction, tires going forward, the exhaust is adjusted when the intake is closing and the intake is adjusted when the exhaust is opening!

When you get to the point of the valves either half open or half closed, depending on which valves you are adjusting, have your helper stand on the rear brake. More than likely the first time you adjust your valves they will be too tight. So loosen the 10 mm keeper nut and turn the slotted adjuster up so you can get the feel of where the guage should be and adjust the gap. The 1/6 turn method in the video and instructions actually works out very well. The torque spec on the valve jam nut is 7.2 ft/lbs

6. You are done, put it back together and ride. Remember the 525 engine is a noisy engine but most of the sound is coming from the tranny area.

steve123
12-31-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks to all of you who replied to help valve adjustment 450mxr this is a big help.

08 outlaw 450mxr,K&N,FMF Q4S/A-Powerbomb header. Proarmor maxiriser footpegs

06 outlaw 500, Procom cdi, rectifier, powerbox, AR racing coil, Aeen racing airbox with S&B filter/outerwear sock, Dynojet kit for 42mm bsr Mikuni, Scary fastracing -Powernow,Trinityracing- port intake/exhaust with highflow valve, Nickolascycle NR520 kit ( ktm built cylinder, JE 11.9 race piton and rings), HMF Bill Balance complete system - black chrome, PercisionRacing steering stabilizer, TrailTech Vapor, and outlaw shock cover crossed six guns.Proarmor maxiriser footpegs. Maxxis I-razor front/back.

07 Suzuki LTZ-250, Yosha,K&N ( wifes)

07 offbrand 110cc Perdater clone (grandgaughters)

jdm197
01-31-2008, 03:04 PM
i went to my ktm dealer for my valve adjustment on my 525 and it cost me $49.00

steve123
01-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Well I guess thats the difference between Georgia and Washington. Georgia dealer gives you a fair price. Washington dealer tells me $100 per hour,2 to 3 hour job because there are many other areas on the atv that need to be looked at on the 15 hour intervels, and they won't just do the valves, it's all or nothing. I preffer to do it my self anyways. $49 is a few oil changes, besides after a half a dozen adjustments I can afford a slip-on and thats at the $49 price, just calculate the $250 to $300. That was quated to by the service manager of Lynwood Motoplex Washington where I bought my Outlaw 450MXR. Theres better riding in Georgia I bet, maybe not as much. Thanks for the input.

06 polaris
08 polaris
07suzuki
07 zhi jiang