PDA

View Full Version : Which is better, GT Thunder or aftermarket????

woodsZrider
12-30-2007, 10:16 PM
I race XC, and I am a pretty agressive rider, and I want to know are the GT Thunder revalves beter,just as good, or not even close to......lets say Elkas?????
I am getting shocks and I was wanting to know if it was worth spending the money on Elkas or spend 800 bucks and get all 3 shocks and the linkage......If the revalves are close to Elkas,,,are the Elkas worth the money?????PLEASE HELP........
Thanks..
PS...This is for a KFX 450r

BlaineKaiser450
12-30-2007, 10:25 PM
depends. What kind of riding and how aggressive are they going to be used?

woodsZrider
12-30-2007, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
depends. What kind of riding and how aggressive are they going to be used?

i just edited the post for ya
thanks...;)

BlaineKaiser450
12-30-2007, 10:41 PM
well i think that the revalves would be great but if you want more adjustability go LT. But revalves would most likely be great

400exrider707
12-31-2007, 06:26 AM
I like my rebuilds better than any of the elkas I've used. I like my rebuilds better than most of any shocks I've used. I continue using rebuilds.:cool:

woodsZrider
12-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I like my rebuilds better than any of the elkas I've used. I like my rebuilds better than most of any shocks I've used. I continue using rebuilds.:cool:

which elkas did you have????
i'm sure that the GT Thunders are better then the elka recreational series shock.....
i'm talking about elkas top of the line shocks,,piggyback,triple rate, rebound,compression,and preload adjustable..
i also have been told by GT THunder themselves that they don't offer the new piston for the KFX revalves yet.....so would the KFX revalves be as good as the hondas revalves????
Thanks

duke416ex
12-31-2007, 09:53 AM
There was a set of revlaves for a kfx450 on ebay you need to be checking out. I have on axis, elka, and revalves. The worst disadvantage I can see on the revalves is that when ran hard for a whole race, I run xc, you will start to see them fade at the end of the race.

If you can afford to get them serviced really regular you probably wouldn't seet his problem. Or if you are not a hard racer and do mor erecreational riding than it probably won't be an issue.
I have not ridden any with the new pistons, this and the new fluid is supposed to help with the fading and may solve the problems. I think they are developing the new pistons, but can't remember for sure. I did like the revalves, just sharing my experience, everyone has a different opinion on suspension.

400exrider707
12-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by woodsZrider
which elkas did you have????
i'm sure that the GT Thunders are better then the elka recreational series shock.....
i'm talking about elkas top of the line shocks,,piggyback,triple rate, rebound,compression,and preload adjustable..
i also have been told by GT THunder themselves that they don't offer the new piston for the KFX revalves yet.....so would the KFX revalves be as good as the hondas revalves????
Thanks

On my 400ex I had elka recs fronts and an elka rebuilt rear, at the time it was great, but that's cause I never rode anything else. I sent that rear out to get re-done by C&D and it was already worlds better. I then rode an 05 450R, full LT front and rear elka/lonestar bike. DC4 arms and outlaw rear end. The quality was astounding, and the ride was good, and for that money it should be, but again, I hadn't rode anything else. I then picked up some C&D rebuilds for the front, and a GT Thunder rear w/mx linkage. Right out of the box, I couldn't believe how much smoother this set up was. Unbelievable. Before I jumped it I thought for sure I'd be bottoming out everywhere on large leaps due to how smooth it was and how it soaked up the small stuff. The faster and higher I went, the smoother it felt. I then Sent all this stuff off for updates. My fronts now have the new pistons, and the rear was re-done with a new spring by C&D. I LOVE it! We're currently building an 04 MX 450R with JB LT arms and JB swinger, got some TCS LT fronts on the way to try out and compare, and for the rear if we dont find a PEP or Axis to try, we're going with GT Thunder w/ linkage.

woodsZrider
12-31-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by duke416ex
There was a set of revlaves for a kfx450 on ebay you need to be checking out. I have on axis, elka, and revalves. The worst disadvantage I can see on the revalves is that when ran hard for a whole race, I run xc, you will start to see them fade at the end of the race.

If you can afford to get them serviced really regular you probably wouldn't seet his problem. Or if you are not a hard racer and do mor erecreational riding than it probably won't be an issue.
I have not ridden any with the new pistons, this and the new fluid is supposed to help with the fading and may solve the problems. I think they are developing the new pistons, but can't remember for sure. I did like the revalves, just sharing my experience, everyone has a different opinion on suspension.

yea i saw them on there..he started his auction @ $400 and he said that he would give the winning bidder the option to buy the linkage for an extra $100 + the selling price......
I can get them new and the linkage for around $740.....
:rolleyes:

all i need to know is..are the elkas worth spending the money on???(triple rate,rebound,compression,and preload,piggybacks)
thanks for the feedback any info is helpful;)

400exrider707
12-31-2007, 11:06 AM
yea i saw them on there..he started his auction @ $400 and he said that he would give the winning bidder the option to buy the linkage for an extra $100 + the selling price......
I can get them new and the linkage for around $740.....
:rolleyes:

all i need to know is..are the elkas worth spending the money on???(triple rate,rebound,compression,and preload,piggybacks)
thanks for the feedback any info is helpful;)

I would say, from my personal experience. NO. Elka has good customer service, and a great looking product. As far as performance is concerned, I think for the money, there are better options. JMO. They're a good shock, but I think money could be spent better.

woodsZrider
12-31-2007, 11:12 AM
On my 400ex I had elka recs fronts and an elka rebuilt rear, at the time it was great, but that's cause I never rode anything else. I sent that rear out to get re-done by C&D and it was already worlds better. I then rode an 05 450R, full LT front and rear elka/lonestar bike. DC4 arms and outlaw rear end. The quality was astounding, and the ride was good, and for that money it should be, but again, I hadn't rode anything else. I then picked up some C&D rebuilds for the front, and a GT Thunder rear w/mx linkage. Right out of the box, I couldn't believe how much smoother this set up was. Unbelievable. Before I jumped it I thought for sure I'd be bottoming out everywhere on large leaps due to how smooth it was and how it soaked up the small stuff. The faster and higher I went, the smoother it felt. I then Sent all this stuff off for updates. My fronts now have the new pistons, and the rear was re-done with a new spring by C&D. I LOVE it! We're currently building an 04 MX 450R with JB LT arms and JB swinger, got some TCS LT fronts on the way to try out and compare, and for the rear if we dont find a PEP or Axis to try, we're going with GT Thunder w/ linkage.

I was the same way.. when i first rode a set of works i thought the same thing(these are the best shocks i have ever rode). then i got some TCS and i thought the same thing about them..
now i'm looking to build a top quality bike(in my opinion),, and i would like a great suspention set up.. I went with the Houser MGC arms and I just want a nice shock thats going to give me good wheel travel and great preformance in the woods...
thanks for all the info...:)

12-31-2007, 11:44 AM
my only question is why are you going with GT Thunder when C&D racing does it and they are more dependable than GT Thunder. Talk to the guys at C&D Racing and ask how much it will cost for your revalves/respring.

400exrider707
12-31-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
my only question is why are you going with GT Thunder when C&D racing does it and they are more dependable than GT Thunder. Talk to the guys at C&D Racing and ask how much it will cost for your revalves/respring.

I've been using C&D all along, only reason I would get anything from GT Thunder, and it would be the rear only, is for the linkage. I prefer the linkage setup personally. Once I got my rear GT setup with the linkage, it gets sent to Colby @ C&D for freshening every season.

woodsZrider
12-31-2007, 02:35 PM

ok lets just say the best revalves you can get..(dosen't matter which company) just the best revalves you can get.....
the questions still remains the same,,,,,,are the elkas or any aftermarket shock better then the best revalves?????
if their that close why pay the extra money for the aftermarkets....
and if this is true....why don't the aftermarket shock companys up their products?????:confused:

12-31-2007, 02:59 PM
they say revalves are better than Works and Elka rec series. and they are just as good as the highest end Works and other lower end of aftermarket. If you are the serious racer and need the best of the best I say revalves most likely wounldnt be for you but the average person revalves are normally more than enough

400exrider707
12-31-2007, 03:28 PM
they say revalves are better than Works and Elka rec series. and they are just as good as the highest end Works and other lower end of aftermarket. If you are the serious racer and need the best of the best I say revalves most likely wounldnt be for you but the average person revalves are normally more than enough

I disagree. Look at Laz's son, who race's pro class, runs GT Thunder rebuilds with GT Thunder arms. I say most pros run stuff for the $$$. Like I said, I like my rebuilds better than the full LT elka setup I rode on for a while. Just my experience. Going the rebuild/revalve route will put you really close on shock setup as they can tune to within something like 5lbs, where as when you buy elkas you're lucky to get in 15 lbs if not more. I've also heard elka used to use the same valving for all their shocks and just changed spring rates. Their use of 4 springs also showed me that they were making up for a lack of valving with differing spring rates. Just my observations and I dont know if what I heard was true, but the evidence points in that direction. Like I said, I had some and they were good shocks, but there are better for cheaper.

BlaineKaiser450
12-31-2007, 06:17 PM
if you decide to go long travel, go with Motowoz, Axis, or PEP. WAY better than Elka IMO

bradley300
01-01-2008, 09:21 AM
the GT shocks are better anyway, but even if the elkas were better, they wouldnt be so much better to justify the price difference

bradley300
01-01-2008, 09:24 AM

think about this, what feature did you just list that the stock shocks dont already have? only the trippe rate springs, which is not an advantage or disadvantage, just an easier way to valve by worrying about the progression rate with springs instead of valving

Dave400ex
01-01-2008, 10:40 AM
I say get them revalved. There are so many places doing stock revalves now that it is hard to choose.

woodsZrider
01-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
think about this, what feature did you just list that the stock shocks dont already have? only the trippe rate springs, which is not an advantage or disadvantage, just an easier way to valve by worrying about the progression rate with springs instead of valving

so you don't think a triple rate shock is better then stock?????:rolleyes:

400exrider707
01-01-2008, 11:43 AM
so you don't think a triple rate shock is better then stock?????:rolleyes:

The number of springs on a shock does not determine how good the shock is. A good shock builder could build a single spring shock to work just as good as one with four springs. It's all in the valving. More springs are used to make it easier to valve correctly, or to make up for a lack of valving ability.

inverted
01-01-2008, 12:19 PM
The number of springs on a shock does not determine how good the shock is. A good shock builder could build a single spring shock to work just as good as one with four springs. It's all in the valving. More springs are used to make it easier to valve correctly, or to make up for a lack of valving ability.

So on that note who is the good shock builder between C&D, TCS, GT Thunder, and Derisi?

RIght now I am looking at Derisi. It seems for a YFZ450 they will do

" Triple Rate ZPS Front Springs, and Dual Rate ZPS Rear Spring. Front Shocks are modified with our CNC machined Hi-Flow Pro Millennium Piston, and New multi-stage valving circuits. Rear shock is also modified with Multi-Stage valving circuits to fit MX style Riding/Racing. "

Are any of the other brands installing Hi-Flow pistons and multi stage valaving circuits?

01-01-2008, 12:25 PM
The only company me myself will never go with is GT Thunder. C&D, TCS, and Derisi I have heard nothing but great things.

Pappy
01-01-2008, 12:28 PM
You could flip a coin and choose either of the 3 named here. make some calls, see who offers the most for the $$ and base your decision on customer service and value.

hows this for stock rebuilds:devil:

01-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Pappy if that is you your captain insano! lol Didnt your son Cody have C&D revalve/resprung on that 400ex project quad?

Pappy
01-01-2008, 12:34 PM
hell no that is not me:p that is randy lehr on one of our quads. he commented on how well they worked after hitting every jump rausch had to offer on a basically stock yfz with derisi rebuilds.

i use derisi and c&d on mnay of our builds.

inverted
01-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Pappy is their a triple rate front/dual rate rear on that picture, or dual front/dual rear from Derisi.

Pappy
01-01-2008, 03:34 PM
i dont recall, but we ran the fronts for 2 seasons until we switched to a LT front end...however...the derisi rear has been working so well we havent needed aftermarket, just routine service work

woodsZrider
01-01-2008, 06:09 PM
I have saw many people at the track with revalves......(XC)
and I have also saw many people at the track with aftermarket.....
I am just tring to get the most bang for my buck and I wanted eveyones feedback...
All 3 revalve companies do great work, im sure....I am just trying to find out if aftermarket shocks are worth the pennies???

Pappy....what shock did you go with when you went to LT??
thanks and God Bless

400exrider707
01-01-2008, 07:54 PM
I have saw many people at the track with revalves......(XC)
and I have also saw many people at the track with aftermarket.....
I am just tring to get the most bang for my buck and I wanted eveyones feedback...
All 3 revalve companies do great work, im sure....I am just trying to find out if aftermarket shocks are worth the pennies???

Pappy....what shock did you go with when you went to LT??
thanks and God Bless

When Pappy buys elkas brand new, they go directly to C&D racing for revalving immediately, before he even uses them, does that tell you anything?

Pappy
01-01-2008, 08:07 PM
When Pappy buys elkas brand new, they go directly to C&D racing for revalving immediately, before he even uses them, does that tell you anything?

they actually go to derisi, only because he is closer and it saves me a few bucks on shipping...BUT...ive had just as good of luck with c&d(it all depends on what we are working on and time frame etc...sometimes a few extra days shipping can jam us up:()

we went with elka on the yfx. we did gve them an honest run but then sent them to santo and they work sweet.

national425ex
01-02-2008, 10:35 AM
I personally like my GT Thunder suspension better then my Elka/Houser long travel front end. I was in your same situation before. After months of researching and talking to different companys, I decided to go with GT Thunder. I rode them for a few races and never put my Elka/Houser front end back on. Now I am a sponsored rider for Laz and will be using ATV Four Play MGC Arms with the GT Thunder Stock Rebuilds. In my eyes GT Thunder will serve you well and will exceed you expectations of these shocks. On another note, I have found a set of shocks on ebay before cheap. They were Elka long travel elite series. I got the for $350 bucks in great shape. Sent them to laz to get revalved and resprung and for $650 bucks total I had a awesome pair of shocks. That also could be a route you could go, But I think stock rebuilds will suite you fine.

woodsZrider
01-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by national425ex
I personally like my GT Thunder suspension better then my Elka/Houser long travel front end. I was in your same situation before. After months of researching and talking to different companys, I decided to go with GT Thunder. I rode them for a few races and never put my Elka/Houser front end back on. Now I am a sponsored rider for Laz and will be using ATV Four Play MGC Arms with the GT Thunder Stock Rebuilds. In my eyes GT Thunder will serve you well and will exceed you expectations of these shocks. On another note, I have found a set of shocks on ebay before cheap. They were Elka long travel elite series. I got the for $350 bucks in great shape. Sent them to laz to get revalved and resprung and for $650 bucks total I had a awesome pair of shocks. That also could be a route you could go, But I think stock rebuilds will suite you fine.

thank you for the info...
i'm only tring to get the best shock for me..and for the price....

mx86250R
01-05-2008, 01:39 PM
I LOVE my fox's! They felt way better than my buddies Elka's who were setup for the same weight as me. Like stated above you can find some nice aftermarket shocks cheap on E-bay and you can send them to Derisi or C&D and then you'll def. have some great shocks!

tfuchs
01-06-2008, 04:20 PM
I went from Running Ohlins Front shocks with a C&D Rear Rebuild to a full GTT Setup. The Best bang for the buck is having one of the companies rebuild your stockers. I prefer the GTT setup but the C&D Shcks did a great job too.

The best thing I ever did was sell my expensive front shocks and buy a set of rebuilds and a-arms with spindles, You can get soo much more for your money.

01-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Interesting you went from Ohlins to stock rebuilds. That tells me stock rebuilds are pretty kick a**