PDA

View Full Version : Liquid cooled over heating by anyone?

forgiven
12-30-2007, 08:11 PM
I was just wondering if there were situation besides changing the front bumper that anyone has had a LC 90 overheat. Was thinking about a high output stator and a fan for the radiator.

Opinions/Thoughts

quad1rider
12-30-2007, 09:46 PM
before getting to crazy try this little tip... I am not saying this is the problem just something to check...

fill the rad the tilt the quad about 45Degrees sometimes you can get an air lock and this will cause you to overheat. if you put it down and it needs more fluid top it off and do it again...

second thing to check if you did the above item... allow about a quarter of an inch below the rad opening this will allow it to breath and you can also see if the water pump is working properly. if no water is moving you got a bad pump.

Next be sure to use the proper coolant. and do not mix them some have been known to gel if mixed

thats all i have for you.

tom450r
12-30-2007, 10:01 PM
YES I'VE HAD THIS PROBLEM & YES ANTI-FREEZE TYPE MADE THE DIFF. i run liquid perfomance or engine ice both worked for me. NOT MIXED , one or the other.

cheatermtrsprts
12-31-2007, 05:49 AM
When you are filling the cooling system, be sure to take the air bleed screw out of the head. The reason I say to take it out is that sometimes the small hole in the bleeder is clogged. Once coolant comes out of the hole in the head, replace the bleeder and finish filling with coolant. This prevents air pockets which will cause overheating. Also make sure you have a little coolant in the overflow bottle. Usually about 1" in the bottom will do.

forgiven
12-31-2007, 06:08 AM
Just to clarify. I am not or have not had problems over heating. We get a lot of trail riders around here and wondered if they weren't on the throttle a lot if that could cause a situation. A lot of great suggestions though...thanks guys.

bulldogfallon
12-31-2007, 08:30 AM
We use Water Wetter by Redline with water and have no cooling issues

quad1rider
12-31-2007, 09:40 AM
ok well the see if this info helps , at a constant idle , vehicles have a tendency to run hotter , where as when running at faster pace circulates the fluid and ads air cooling as well so the answer is yes the fast you ride the better cooled your machine remains.

orange xtreme
01-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Ijust wanted to say thanks for the advice. We are switching over to LC this year and even though we did not start this thread all of your trouble shooting should make the switch A little easier thanks to all.

Proud parents of #204 Caston McConnell

quad1rider
01-01-2008, 11:33 AM
That is what it is all about helping one another and keeping it friendly... now on the track that changes but here it should remain helpful and friendly.. I am no mechanic but i live by what i learn and if knowledge alone could fix my quads i wouldn't need to call people all the time to do repairs... I know what to do but until I do it once I dont wanna touch it... if that makes sense.

WOLFPACK
01-06-2008, 08:51 AM
LIQUID PERFORMANCE MINIBIKE COOLANT!

I spoke with thier reps last year at the dealer show and every since have been sold on thier product. The mini bike coolant was engineered for smaller bore engines to be a lower viscosity. They claimed it has a visible benefits shown on a dyno.

WE like thier product a it's the only one we stock.

Shane

riding4fun
03-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by quad1rider
before getting to crazy try this little tip... I am not saying this is the problem just something to check...

fill the rad the tilt the quad about 45Degrees sometimes you can get an air lock and this will cause you to overheat. if you put it down and it needs more fluid top it off and do it again...

second thing to check if you did the above item... allow about a quarter of an inch below the rad opening this will allow it to breath and you can also see if the water pump is working properly. if no water is moving you got a bad pump.

Next be sure to use the proper coolant. and do not mix them some have been known to gel if mixed

thats all i have for you.

I realize this is an old post but it just goes to show you the search function works.. I was having flow problems, I tilted it up 45 degrees as you said and I heard the bubbles come out. :D