PDA

View Full Version : Boreing to a 416, got a few questions.

Honda4lyphe
12-30-2007, 05:51 PM
My 400ex is getting ready to get its top end rebuilt. First of all, would you guys reccomind this: (ebay auction is off, quoted from the description)

"11:1 416cc Wiseco piston for Honda XR400.Includes piston, rings,circlip and wrist pin.This kit also comes with Namura 440 89mm top end gasket kit( so you don't have to trim or modify a 400 t.e.gasket kit) and a stage 1 HOTCAMS cam. Excellent mid-range and top-end power increase. Does not use decompression mechanism. Uses stock valve springs and rockers. "

And to beef my ex to a 416 would that be all the parts i need for this? I know just about everything about my ex exept the engine work, thats where in a little fuzzy on. Has anyone done this job themselves? Respectivly, how much time did it take you? Was it realitivly easy if you know exactly what your doing? I'm trying to get this done where i dont have to pay a guy as much as i paid for the kit itself.

Is there any more reccomindations that i do for this? Is this a very reliable motor? I do the majority of my riding stunting, with alot of woods riding (big hills, mud, water, all the tough stuff on the engine). I just want to get this done the cheapest, safest way i can.

JOEX
12-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Honda4lyphe
...This kit also comes with Namura 440 89mm top end gasket kit( so you don't have to trim or modify a 400 t.e.gasket kit)...
I'd like to hear some more info about this.....

As for the 'going cheap' part I can relate and tend to lean that way but I don't recommend it. I'm slowly learning often times it's better to lay out the cash for quality parts and service up front rather than skimp now and pay the same or much more later. And save the aggravation.

Ty's400
12-30-2007, 07:43 PM
I would go with a 440 kit. My friend had a 416 and was pretty good, but my 440 pulled pretty well. Just make sure you get the heavy duty head studs from GT Thunder. If you want a screamer send it here www.moto-xperts.com

Honda4lyphe
12-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Ty's400
I would go with a 440 kit. My friend had a 416 and was pretty good, but my 440 pulled pretty well. Just make sure you get the heavy duty head studs from GT Thunder. If you want a screamer send it here www.moto-xperts.com

Well, i dont want to make my EX a fire breathing dragon, i just want a LITTLE more. I've just heard more bad things about the 440 then the 416, and if i had constant problems with the 440 i most likely wouldnt having the money to fix it. I dont want to spend more time wrenching then riding.

And JOEX i know what you mean, im willing to throw out as much as i need to to have this thing done right, im just wanting to do that at the very minimum if its at all possible.

Ty's400
12-31-2007, 01:47 PM
I understand what you mean. I never had any issues with my 440 but I changed the oil frequently and made sure valves were adjusted. I just didn't think there was much difference or at least noticeable with the 416. However porting the head may be your best bet. Either way I know Moto-Xperts can build you a reliable motor anyway you want. Would be worth checking out.

400exBRAAP
12-31-2007, 01:53 PM
ok, i just purchased that exact kit off of ebay. im just waitin for it it to get here, then im going to take the cylinder to a guy i know who will match the cylinder (bore it) to the piston size for 35 bucks. not to bad. but i also have to have him replace the valve seals for me. but i looked around, and that kit seemed good and fine to me. thats why i got it. i will let you know if you want once i get it all back together. which will hopefully be within the next 2 weeks or so.

Honda4lyphe
12-31-2007, 01:57 PM
I'd appriciate it if you did that!

I checked out moto xports, its somthing ill go all out on in the future.

400exrider707
01-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Personally I think you'd be better off just buying an 11:1 416 piston and a stage 1 hotcam elsewhere (C&D racing maybe?) and get a cometic top end gasket kit with their thin head gasket. I learned the hard way not to use cheap head gaskets, they blow like crazy. I tore my head off and replaced the head gasket probably around 3 times before I realized that just spending $20 on a good cometic head gasket solved my problems.

01-01-2008, 01:23 PM
cometic is the only gaskets i will ever use never failed me

Honda4lyphe
01-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Personally I think you'd be better off just buying an 11:1 416 piston and a stage 1 hotcam elsewhere (C&D racing maybe?) and get a cometic top end gasket kit with their thin head gasket. I learned the hard way not to use cheap head gaskets, they blow like crazy. I tore my head off and replaced the head gasket probably around 3 times before I realized that just spending $20 on a good cometic head gasket solved my problems.

I always thought wiseco was very reliable? I'm willing to dump as much money as needed for a perfect 416 setup. Its just i dont want to get horribly jipped from my dealer installing it. I've rebuilt 2 cars at my workplace but i had a floor manager coaching me through where i needed help. I just dont know.. I called all the places around here, and the place thats the cheapest is 85 bucks an hour.. thats out of a honda dealership and 4 local atv shops. Also, if i go this route do i need to raise the octane levels?

nickm328
01-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Have you tried Pittman racing in Murray he might be able to reccommend a shop.

400exrider707
01-04-2008, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Honda4lyphe
I always thought wiseco was very reliable? I'm willing to dump as much money as needed for a perfect 416 setup. Its just i dont want to get horribly jipped from my dealer installing it. I've rebuilt 2 cars at my workplace but i had a floor manager coaching me through where i needed help. I just dont know.. I called all the places around here, and the place thats the cheapest is 85 bucks an hour.. thats out of a honda dealership and 4 local atv shops. Also, if i go this route do i need to raise the octane levels?

I didn't say anything about not getting a wiseco!? I just said not to get the kit on ebay. Half the time they dont include everything you need, no matter what the auction says. I'm just saying it will probably save you in the long run to just piece together a 416 yourself by buying the individual parts to it. Get a wiseco or a JE or a Ross piston .080 at 11:1. Get a cometic thin head gasket and whatever other gaskets you need get cometic as well.

Honda4lyphe
01-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I didn't say anything about not getting a wiseco!? I just said not to get the kit on ebay. Half the time they dont include everything you need, no matter what the auction says. I'm just saying it will probably save you in the long run to just piece together a 416 yourself by buying the individual parts to it. Get a wiseco or a JE or a Ross piston .080 at 11:1. Get a cometic thin head gasket and whatever other gaskets you need get cometic as well.

It was a misread, sorry about that. I'll look into it, thanks.

I thought Pittman went out of buisness a year ago, i'll have to go up there and find out.

nickm328
01-04-2008, 06:51 PM
They were open as of about 2 mo. ago. I live in La. but bring my bike up to Calvert city by my Sisters and ride I think it's called Patti's Bluff with my brother in law and nephew. Their number is'270-753-8366. ( Pittman's ) Well my brother in law said it's still was so if it's not my bad.

Honda4lyphe
01-07-2008, 01:37 AM
Yeah Patti's bluff! I usta go there every weekend. Good stuff. Thanks for the info, i used to do some buisness there but i talked to the owners of patti's matter infact and they said they closed down or moved because they havnt been able to locate them in the same area.