View Full Version : Using the CRF450R cam chain

416exfreak
12-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Ive heard that this can solve the problem of breaking the cam chain tensioners on a 400ex.

Im willing to try it, but is there a specific year that I need to get the chain for, or are they all the same?

Hopefully someone will know.:)

Thanks in advance,
Justin:D

Choppers
12-30-2007, 04:37 PM
all are the same. talk to C&D they are awesome

F-16Guy
12-30-2007, 05:07 PM
They look just like the 400ex chain except that each link has an extra plate, which makes it a little wider and stronger. There is plenty of clearance, so the extra width isn't an issue. They are about $28 from Service Honda if I remember right. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I heard that the reason they are so much cheaper than the 400ex chain is that they're made in the USA so there is no import tariff and very little shipping and handling to raise the price. Don't know how true that is, but they are much cheaper than the stock chain. I ordered a 2002 CRF450R chain and it fit perfect.

416exfreak
12-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
They look just like the 400ex chain except that each link has an extra plate, which makes it a little wider and stronger. There is plenty of clearance, so the extra width isn't an issue. They are about $28 from Service Honda if I remember right. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I heard that the reason they are so much cheaper than the 400ex chain is that they're made in the USA so there is no import tariff and very little shipping and handling to raise the price. Don't know how true that is, but they are much cheaper than the stock chain. I ordered a 2002 CRF450R chain and it fit perfect.

Any problems with the tensioner breaking after the chain install?

How long ago did you put the chain in?

Choppers
12-30-2007, 07:14 PM
well i thought mine was cam chain, but it wasn't the chain it was the tensioner i believe but haven't put it in yet.

Barrymaxx
12-30-2007, 07:28 PM
Im using a crf chain too. I have maybe 20 hours on it with no issues.

F-16Guy
12-30-2007, 10:43 PM
I have several trouble free years on mine. The chain shouldn't have anything to do with the tensioner breaking. If you are having problems with the tensioner breaking, you are not installing it correctly. There is not enough resistance in a properly assembled 400ex valve train to be breaking parts. You should be getting many years of service out of the original tensioner (and chain for that matter) .

416exfreak
12-31-2007, 06:46 AM
I got a long service from the original parts that were in the 400 when it was bought new.

I put a stage 3 webcam, hard-faced rockers, 12.5:1 compression and im using the stock timing sprocket.

As for installing something incorrectly, if its in there incorrectly then blame it on my OEM manual. I went over everything twice before going to the next step, just to be sure it was right.

I talked to a guy at duncan and he seems to think that my chain is stetching and thats making the tensioner break. I figured if I can get the chain to stop stretching, the tensioner will stop breaking.:ermm:

400exrider707
12-31-2007, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
I got a long service from the original parts that were in the 400 when it was bought new.

I put a stage 3 webcam, hard-faced rockers, 12.5:1 compression and im using the stock timing sprocket.

As for installing something incorrectly, if its in there incorrectly then blame it on my OEM manual. I went over everything twice before going to the next step, just to be sure it was right.

I talked to a guy at duncan and he seems to think that my chain is stetching and thats making the tensioner break. I figured if I can get the chain to stop stretching, the tensioner will stop breaking.:ermm:

That doesn't make any sense to me. Have you replaced the tensioner yet? How many have you broke? I would do the CRF cam chain anyways.