PDA

View Full Version : IDLE SCREW AND EXHAUST plus mod's

THORrider350
12-30-2007, 03:43 PM
I just bought a 2002 400ex and it is in great condition... The only thing is the idle was broken and i have to manually adjust it, no porblem by me but i was wondering a couple things?? Can it hurt anything if the idle is up to high?? Cause i was having some problems with it and just kind of have it running a little higher than norm...? Also i am gonna get HMF pipe off of ebay that comes with jets, are the jets hard to replace?? Lastly, anyone know any places where i can get aftermarkets stuff as cheap as possible. I.e. nerfs, handle bars, tires, anything really?

Thanks, and sorry if these are dumb questions i am still kind of learning.....LOVE my ex so far tho !!!

12-30-2007, 03:49 PM
no i dont think it will hurt anything if the idle is too high i was playing with my carb and idle yesterday and turned it all the way up to start where to adjust and it just idles high. Jetting is pretty simple

tar
12-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Jetting is really simple and a good place to buy parts from is C&D Racing..they are a sight sponsor on here

12-30-2007, 07:28 PM
JetsRus is cheaper not saying C&D isnt good but there are cheaper places to buy jets

250exkid
12-30-2007, 09:30 PM
not dissing C&D racing but id buy all of ebay its the cheapest of all times.... well ocasionaly other wise try rockymountain atv.com there great spend over 100$ get free shipping,. thats wewre ebay gets expensive is that.... hope this helps, i learned how to jet carbs on a honda 250ex nice and simple. the 400ex will be a day project cause you gotta take all the front plastics off and gas tank to get to the carb, also how to change the spark plugs

12-30-2007, 09:38 PM
I think its easier working on a bigger carb though. My 1st time ever taking off my carb took a few hours only because I ran to Lowes to get 6 steel screws to fit where the crappy brass soft screws were. I took apart my carb, cleaned it lube the throttle cable, ut the new screws in and such. Once you do it it gets easier next time. I have watched and helped take apart a motor and put it back together for a 400ex many times and its like your not even thinking what to do now its just automatic. I can get plastics off in nothing flat without thinking cause I have done it some many times. Now the spark plug on the other hand is such a pain in the behind to get out.

250exkid
12-30-2007, 09:42 PM
ohh i no! thats a stupide set upp with the plugs! right inbetween the head pipes! thats soo stupide! i remeber jetitn my old 250ex and having to check the plugs and it was nice i could have it in and out in 1.5 mins lol thats even when its burning hot!

12-30-2007, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by 250exkid
ohh i no! thats a stupide set upp with the plugs! right inbetween the head pipes! thats soo stupide! i remeber jetitn my old 250ex and having to check the plugs and it was nice i could have it in and out in 1.5 mins lol thats even when its burning hot!

yeah the 250ex plug is right on the side and its super easy to get to.

THORrider350
12-30-2007, 09:53 PM
hahaha i dunno if i had dumb luck but when i took the plastics and tank and carb off it was like forever but the spark plug took my like 34 seconds lol i dunno....probably just lucky