PDA

View Full Version : from racing a quad to a bike?

HippieMcgrath
12-30-2007, 02:52 PM
I raced quads for a few years back in the 90's. I now am building a R to race the gncc next year. I bought a second R as a parts lot and plan to sell it when finished. I have been planning on selling one to help pay for the build of my race quad. Pretty good plan aye? Well now my motorcycle-itis has me changing my mind again. Instead of sellin one and investing close to 4g's in the other maybe, I'll build them both back close to stock and let my son ride one so he can experience my favorite bike ever. Use the quads as a toy and race my 06 crf250r in the gncc. If I race the bike its only gonna be a couple hundred for set up. I don't know if I can take the beating of racing a quad anymore. Racing abike is so much cheaper and easier on a old guy. I know this is a quad site but Whats everbody think about my latest idea?

TWILES
12-30-2007, 03:47 PM
I like my bike. I just don't feel comfortable on any of the 450 quads. I bought an 04 Honda and didn't like it so I bought a 2005 WR450. Its been 2 1/2 years and I'm still learning to ride it but its a different kind of thrill for me. I got to where there wasn't much I couldn't do on an atv and I can bearly get around on the bike in tight places. I've never been real big on racing but I took my WR to a midsouth race in October and found out I sucked a whole lot more than I thought and eventhough the thought that I could to this with ease on a quad kept running through my head, the challenge isn't there like with the bike.

woodsracer144
01-01-2008, 03:43 PM
yeah do it.. bikes are alot cheaper.. i just started puttsin on a buddys yz... i like it i like it because you can just lay it flw in corners... and stuff...

mine
01-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
yeah do it.. bikes are alot cheaper.. i just started puttsin on a buddys yz... i like it i like it because you can just lay it flw in corners... and stuff...

quick learner ?

KXRida
01-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by mine
quick learner ?

haha must be!

Man I put her 4th wide in those corners!

TWILES
01-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Bike aren't that much cheaper in the end. Initially that are cheaper to buy and getting the suspension done is cheaper but other than that they are pretty expensive to maintain. You have less bearing and 2 less tires that wear out that much faster. I've had mine for 2 1/2 years and I've tried 1 race on my totally unprepared bike and I can see where a new set of tires would be necessary EVERY race because if they last one race they WON'T last for rides inbetween. $65 and up would get very expensive. I fried my stock rear in 2 hours right after I bought my bike playing around at the lake.

KXRida
01-02-2008, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by TWILES
Bike aren't that much cheaper in the end. Initially that are cheaper to buy and getting the suspension done is cheaper but other than that they are pretty expensive to maintain. You have less bearing and 2 less tires that wear out that much faster. I've had mine for 2 1/2 years and I've tried 1 race on my totally unprepared bike and I can see where a new set of tires would be necessary EVERY race because if they last one race they WON'T last for rides inbetween. $65 and up would get very expensive. I fried my stock rear in 2 hours right after I bought my bike playing around at the lake.

A bike is much much cheaper to maintain than a quad. After owning both, I'd go with a bike.

Now I have to ask you this, what tires were you running? I have a pretty good idea which ones you were.

Flynbryan19
01-02-2008, 07:05 AM
I own both and find both fun for different things. The bike is alot more of a challenge. I also DEFINATELY agree that bikes are easier on the body. Though there are some very nice aftermarket setups for quads your still getting bounced around WAY more than you do on a bike. Also, I completely disagree that bikes are just as expensive to race/maintain. Bikes are way less expensive in maintnance and setup.

woodsracer144
01-02-2008, 09:21 AM
the corner part to mine is you can just like h ave it pinned then lean way down and keep you elbos up and pinn it and you pop right back up... at Millville MN if any one know the track... RC and allthe other top factory riders at havein it pinned commin down the hilll after the step up... the come down pinned let off go in the corner and pop right back up and are haulin *** back up the huge hill to hit the step up that is insaine... i wanna see a quad do that... if they can..

TWILES
01-02-2008, 09:50 AM
I didn't say they were as expensive. I said they were still expensive.

mine
01-02-2008, 12:30 PM
If a 16 year old working 15 hours a week at $7.15 an hour can bring in enough to support riding twice a week, then you should'nt have it too bad. Go with what you like, not what you need. Money will not bring happiness, believe me when i say that.

KXRida
01-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by TWILES
I didn't say they were as expensive. I said they were still expensive.

Don't run dunlop D756's then you won't shred tires every ride. Buy something better.

HippieMcgrath
01-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Well after thinking about it more. I definatly want to race my TRX250R in the gncc this year. I'm just not willing to dump a bunch of money into it. In my day, to race a quad you needed a arms a swingarm, shocks a tappered bearing carrier and a new set of tires. This is all just to get started. Not including maintainance cost. If I would have bought a TRX450R I'd be ready now. Nowadays these new 450's come ready to race. I will put about $500 in my bike to have new tires and suspension work and walla I'm ready to go. I will race my bike and race the quad at the races I like. If I find the quad is the machine I prefer to race then I'll invest big money and go for it. For now I know I'll be happy racing both and we will see what happens. OH and racing a bike is alot cheaper than a quad in my opinion.

woodsracer144
01-02-2008, 08:13 PM
yeah... i think if you keep your head on strait you could smoke some of them 450s at every race i go to there is a quad with soo much for mods it should be on a show floor... and the guy on the seat could be beatin by a 12 year old on a 90CC quad...
and then a few quads down theres a guy with no gear but a helmet and some crappy tires and hes spankin all of us...

mephyst
01-02-2008, 10:31 PM
I love riding my bike on the track far more than my quad. In the desert and dunes I love both, so I have both. I have a 450r and a cr250 bike that is all tricked out. I'm retiring my 2002 cr250 and just bought a brand new crf450r today. :) I'm off to Glamis tomorrow morning at 6am to break it in!! I can't wait!!!

KXRida
01-03-2008, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by mephyst
I'm retiring my 2002 cr250 and just bought a brand new crf450r today.

just keep your valves in spec... better yet, pick yourself up a set of kibblewhites. You'll thank yourself later.

Flynbryan19
01-03-2008, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by KXRida
just keep your valves in spec... better yet, pick yourself up a set of kibblewhites. You'll thank yourself later.

Not neccesarily. I had a 02' Crf450r(the worst for valves) and still got 100hrs on mine before I sold it still with the original valves and only 2 shim jobs. Its all about how you ride and maintnance your machine. ;) Keep dirty oil and air filters and bounce of the rev limiter all the time and those valves will tighten up quick. Treat it right and they'll last a right good while.

KXRida
01-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
Not neccesarily. I had a 02' Crf450r(the worst for valves) and still got 100hrs on mine before I sold it still with the original valves and only 2 shim jobs. Its all about how you ride and maintnance your machine. ;) Keep dirty oil and air filters and bounce of the rev limiter all the time and those valves will tighten up quick. Treat it right and they'll last a right good while.

I take it you don't get out to a whole lot of races do you? Ever hear a 4 stroke mx racer on a 450? They don't just ride them nice and easy.

A buddy of mine had an 05 crf 450 and dropped a valve with 30 hours on it. It can never hurt to keep your valves in spec at all.