PDA

View Full Version : ER idle problems

mchepp2
12-30-2007, 01:16 PM
I know there has been numerous posts about this but, I would appreciate any help I can get. I have an 06 450ER it’s bone stock and I ride at about 500 feet above sea level. I like the bike other than how it idles. It will idle once it’s warm but, sometimes it will idle for a few seconds and then just die with a loud clicking sound. If it’s revved while in neutral it will die once the rpms drop. The idle speed knob is adjusted correctly and the valves are adjusted correctly. I haven’t had it in for the starter recall yet but it does have a new starter clutch in it. I doubt if this has much to do with my problem anyway. I’m sure it’s a carburetor adjustment problem but, I’m not sure what jets to change and what size to change them to. It also falls on its face when you stab the throttle from an idle. I’m sure there is a cure for this without buying an over priced accelerator pump cover. As far as I can tell most of us stock 450ER owners have all these problems it would be nice if we had a forum that covered them all so if any of you stock ER owners out there know how to fix these problems please help. Thanks,

d3ktrix
12-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Whats ur current jetting/mods? all pure stock?

If so a #55 leak jet will help the bog when stabbing the throttle fast off idle.

For the idle dropping off, that is most likely the pilot jet or A/F screw adjustment.
Or you may need to clean your carb, did it always do this or only recently?

mchepp2
12-30-2007, 01:39 PM
yeah the thing is bone stock...it has always ran like this. it's irritating as hell

12-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Adjust the mixture screw. I think you need to slowly turn it out until you get it where you want it.

4ABURN
12-31-2007, 06:41 AM
I put a 45 pilot in my er and that helps it start and idle!!!!!

mchepp2
01-01-2008, 06:12 PM
thanks guys I'll give those ideas a try.