PDA

View Full Version : ___________>Choke Removed?

Brauap
12-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Why remove it? Is there really a huge gain? Is it worth it? Would you? Did you? Do you like it? Would you do it again? Just add a 42 poilet after?

Sorry for all of the questions.. :D I just want to know if I should before I do..

Thanks,
Braaup

PS: I am going to make a Poll on this.. please make sure to explain your answer below! Thanks Again!

I MESSED UP ON THE POLL! DONT CHOOSE " I SHOULD LEARN TO USE THIS FEATURE" PLEASE!

Rip_Tear
12-30-2007, 11:42 AM
I did it and didn't notice enough of a difference for the loss of a choke, but you gotta remember too, the temperature here ranges from -20C to +30C

12-30-2007, 12:06 PM
I voted yes because the choke was removed by the previous owner of my 400ex and everytime I would drag race friends and such on stock 400's I would always win and we figured there must be something done to the engine... not knowing you could remove the choke for more power. Its not a huge increase but its cheap and deffinately works. I could tell the difference between mine with the choke removed vs completely stock 400's. Its a small gain but 100% worth it. Probally the greatest mod you can do for under $10. Just put in a 42 pilot, cap off the end where the choke lever went and your ready to go.

Brauap
12-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
Just put in a 42 pilot, cap off the end where the choke lever went and your ready to go.

How do you cap it off? Do you have any pictures? and Was your 400ex Completly stock minus the choke, beating the stock?

Thanks!

PS: Was anything done to the engine, or do still not know?

12-30-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
How do you cap it off? Do you have any pictures? and Was your 400ex Completly stock minus the choke, beating the stock?

Thanks!

PS: Was anything done to the engine, or do still not know?

yeap completely stock just didnt have the choke and I would beat stock andeveryone would wonder why mine seems so must faster in a drag. I can get you some pictures in about 5 minutes, I have my carb and such taken apart because I was verifying the previous owner put in a 42 pilot so i didnt have to buy 1. I'll show you how I capped mine off

12-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Here ya go

Brauap
12-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks so much!

Hondamaster5505
12-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Can you post anymore threads!:rolleyes:

Lol, just messin with ya man.

BTW, that hood you put on looks sick!

I dont like the look of the hoods that often though, id rather have headlights..

Brauap
12-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks, and I know, I have a ton of threads.. I just love to learn stuff.. lol.. and I still have lights.. maybe tomarrow i'll post sum pics..

440challenger
12-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Stupid mod. Dont eat a chessburger before you ride. I really noticed no difference . Just agravating to start even with a 42 pilot

12-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by 440challenger
Stupid mod. Dont eat a chessburger before you ride. I really noticed no difference . Just agravating to start even with a 42 pilot

your 1 of the few then because most you talk to that has done this say its worth it and there was a slight gain from it.

Brauap
12-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Hey, FoxHondaRider, do you know what that is that they used to cap it off? Like an idea? Or something I could use?

Thanks again!

416exfreak
12-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by 440challenger

My 440 is easy to start and I dont have a choke...

I didnt notice a difference honestly. Just a PITA project adn wates probably an hour or better of good riding time...:ermm:

12-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
Hey, FoxHondaRider, do you know what that is that they used to cap it off? Like an idea? Or something I could use?

Thanks again!

I cant think of what to call it. The rubber piece would be like something you use to cap off the threaded part of a bolt sticking up.

hornetgod13
12-30-2007, 09:37 PM
I haven't removed it because once it's removed, I've read and heard it's near impossible to reinstall. I have a 40K pilot in mine right now and could easily go to a 42K if needed. I know eventually in a cold weather situation I'll wish I had the choke. 400ex's are not a cold weather friendly quad when it comes to starting. I'm in a warm weather State now and the lowest I've ever ridden is in the mid 40's. Eventually I may move back to a snow State with sub-freezing temperatures. I'd prefer to have the piece of mind knowing I still have it if needed.

12-30-2007, 09:42 PM
only time i had a problem was when it was around 30 degrees out at 1 in the morning for a powerline cruise to the sand drag area/dune. Yeah in Florida it was 30 degrees out haha but anyways it was a problem for me because I couldnt feather the throttle or give it much gas because we couldnt wake up all the neighbors and have them call the police. I ended up putting it in 1st pulling in the clutch pumped the throttle a few and ran with it down the road to the powerlines entrance, jumped on, hit the starter and let the clutch out right away and it sputtered for 10 seconds while driving then it ran fine the rest of the night

Rip_Tear
12-31-2007, 02:34 PM
It's not hard to put back on, I am sure it took me less time to reinstall mine then it took to take it off. But as I stated I don't think it's worth it. Maybe if your quad is really getting modded, like a bore job etc, but with a pipe and air filter, lid removed I didn't notice a difference really, other then it was hard to start since I did it in the winter and had the 42 pilot installed.

maclavin
12-31-2007, 03:30 PM

Go to the auto parts store and ask them for a vacuum line block off kit.