PDA

View Full Version : Tall Rider- needs set up advice

Gatekeeper
12-29-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm 6'4 and built with wide shouldrs/long arms. I was hoping some of ya could give me a few setup tips. I ride mostly woods, quarries, logging roads, etc. No mx for me, im too fat to fly!!:D
The stock bars sit real low for me even when sitting and its very hard to ride standing up. Been shopping for new handlebars and after searching some of the old post i see the stock renthals are one of the highest i can get, so thinking bout keping them and buying a rox riser.
But many have posted liking bars with less sweep(pull back) to them and maybe that would help me get a little more arm extension. . I have been thinking about getting buying the rox anti-vibe riser and a straighter bar like Rnthl Fat bar "carmichael high bend" or the slightly taller and straighter "Mini bend"
Maybe just say eff it and just buy aftermkt steering stem.
Any of you taller riders give me any tips on their set ups? What works and what doesnt.
Also was wondering if any had purchased or fabbed any lowerd foot pegs? Ive got DG alloy nerfs with seperate footpegs. Think they're stock but mite be stock 450r's --they look like some pics ive seen posted.
Thanks for any help yall can give me.

12-29-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm 6' and growing and my brother is 6'3. When I ride my 400ex and I stand up, I feel like i'm leaning over the front and its uncomfortable. Now i'm only 6' right now and stock bars and stem are too short. I suggest getting a + size steering stem and higher bars. I hope to get a +1 stem and higher bars for mine but as a I grow more I think a +2 stem might be better in the long run.

TRXSonoma
12-29-2007, 10:24 PM
im 6'3 and i got a stock stem with the regular renthals, and im just kinda used to it but i would say get a longer steering stem or if you can weld, just extend the stock one.

12-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Sitting down the bars are fine for me they could be an inch higher but they are fine. Its when I stand its a pain. Unless I am leaning all the way back where my arms are streched out as far as they can go then its fine but you can only do that so long. I say just get a plus size steering stem and a bit higher bars

Gatekeeper
12-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
Its when I stand its a pain. Unless I am leaning all the way back where my arms are streched out as far as they can go then its fine but you can only do that so long. I say just get a plus size steering stem and a bit higher bars
Yeah Thats what I was thinking till I got to looking at some bar specs.
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/handlebarinfo.do#Renthal%20Fat%20Bars
It looks like the stock bars are about the highest you can get. They do have a large amount of sweep to them, so maybe something with a little less sweep will help you/me get our arms straighter without having to lean way back like you said. dont know though. Maybe someone has tried this setup. I did a search and have been reading old post for a few hours and havent got the answer I was looking for. Finally gave up and started this thread.
I am a welder and will have to look into extending my stock stem myself. Most of the welding I do at work is on relatively heavy plate steel. Anyone know offhand what the stock stem is made of?

12-29-2007, 10:56 PM
yeah stock bars are actually pretty high I think Pro Tapor makes a bar a bit higher.

440challenger
12-30-2007, 05:51 AM
Tag 450R bars with a +2 stem of your choice. :D

Honda#4
12-30-2007, 09:35 AM
I got a +1 stem with stock bars and it looks like I got ape hangers.

12-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Honda#4
I got a +1 stem with stock bars and it looks like I got ape hangers.

haha do they really look that tall? Post some pictures

Gatekeeper
12-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Lol, ape hangers! Actually thought 'bout building a set for my Tri-moto 125:D
Also, yes please post some photos of your setups.
Anyone try lowering footpegs? It doesn't look like you could get much, but every little bit helps.

NJ450rider
12-30-2007, 02:32 PM
what 440challenger posted is right on as far as what to do. I have a houser +2 steering stem with some protaper atv mid bend bars. I am almost 6 ft 2 and i love it. might even be a bit on the tall side but i dont mind. With a plus +2 stem 1" 1/8 bar clamp and some 1 1/8 bars itll be about 3 inches higher than they are now. I think youll be set with that. If not some companies will probably make you a +3 stem since your a taller person. also using 06 and up 450r footpegs would put them down about an 1/8 of an inch. not much but everything helps.

heres my 400ex....
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/srt4acrnj/400ex004.jpg

12-30-2007, 03:02 PM
those bars dont look that high. I mean they are deffinately not ape hangers they look about right

tanner 222
12-30-2007, 06:27 PM
im about 6'2" and im only 15. i ride an LTR which are kinda made for tall people so i run a high bend but with stock stem. on my 400 i had the biggest bar risers you could get plus a +2 stem and it was perfect for me. i loved it. if you wanted to id buy some higher bars, then try some risers cuz its cheaper than a stem and if you need more height then go with a stem. just my opinion.

79400ex
12-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Also, you might try and a set of pro peg that one inch lower and back one inch. I had a set AC pro pegs and loved them intil I smashed one to many trees into the nerf bars.

Honda#4
12-30-2007, 07:49 PM
here's a pic of my setup.

NJ450rider
12-30-2007, 08:09 PM
wow those are way higher than mine! But something like that i bet is what he needs.

Honda#4
12-30-2007, 08:28 PM
I rarely ever sit on the seat so it does'nt really bother me. I plan on taking the big arse tank off in a few days so it might seem even taller.

12-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
here's a pic of my setup.

Is that a +2 or +3 stem?

Gatekeeper
12-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by 79400ex
Also, you might try and a set of pro peg that one inch lower and back one inch. I had a set AC pro pegs and loved them intil I smashed one to many trees into the nerf bars.
Are the pro pegs a one-piece nerf and peg, or can you just change the pegs? I have DG alloy nerfs right now and they're still in good shape.

12-31-2007, 12:28 AM
seems odd because my brother has AC propegs and they seem to sit higher when I stand on them. For some reason it feels like the seat is super low compared to stock peg location. Its not just me because others that rode his said the same that the pegs feel high

Gatekeeper
12-31-2007, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by tanner 222
if you wanted to id buy some higher bars, then try some risers cuz its cheaper than a stem and if you need more height then go with a stem. just my opinion.
http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cart/pics/sml.117389419943078.jpg
Thinking bout rox anti-vibes. +2 and allow use of 1 1/8 bars--@$150
http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cart/pics/sml.111990778777747.jpg
or rox pivoting +2 , 1 1/8 bars --@$75
Anyone use these/ have any opinions?
They also make + 3 1/2 in the pivoting style but thats probably a little much...

tanner 222
12-31-2007, 06:06 AM
they look to be good. what i bought were just some $60 ones from moose and i found them really good and strong.

12-31-2007, 06:51 AM
i have the trail tech x bars, medium bend, on my 450r, along with the trail tech clamp and that raised the bar height about a half an inch over stock..if you get the high bend, you should be around an inch above

another thing my friend did was by the ac racing relocated peg nerf bars which put his pegs and inch back and an inch lower than stock..but i am not sure if they make these for the 400ex

Honda#4
12-31-2007, 08:56 AM
My stem is a +1 with stock bars on it.

12-31-2007, 11:33 AM
no way!? if those are +1 dang!

79400ex
12-31-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
Are the pro pegs a one-piece nerf and peg, or can you just change the pegs? I have DG alloy nerfs right now and they're still in good shape.

FoxHondaRider seems odd because my brother has AC propegs and they seem to sit higher when I stand on them. For some reason it feels like the seat is super low compared to stock peg location. Its not just me because others that rode his said the same that the pegs feel high

As for the first part of the question, they include the nerf bars.

As for the second part of question, Just flip your mounting pins around from one side to the other if I remember wright.

12-31-2007, 11:46 AM
are you saying for my brother to flip the mounting stuff around so they sit lower?

Honda#4
12-31-2007, 11:47 AM
Yes it's a +1, I've never seen a stem longer than that from Roll Design yet unless you can get it custom made, besides this thing costed me enough being a +1, I dont want it any taller.