PDA

View Full Version : high maintnance

justinbourque
12-29-2007, 07:11 PM
are 450r really hight maintnance or is it just like anny other quad.

quadwanter
12-29-2007, 07:17 PM
To answer your question, yes, and no

These are preformance bikes, the most "regular" maintance is just changing the oil often and lubing the chain. Other than that its, fill 'em up with gas and ride. Every year or so i would check the valves, change coolant, and possiably replace the piston (depending on how much you ride)

if you find changing oil and lubing a chain difficult and a hassle, then yes these are high maintance machines.

bloodmoney23
12-29-2007, 07:39 PM
2 years w/ no oil change, no greasing, lubing.....nothing just beating the crap outta it...it was perfectly fine. Now its a different bike but still. You want high maintenance get a banshee. The 450r is as much maint. as you want to do.

rollie
12-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23
2 years w/ no oil change, no greasing, lubing.....nothing just beating the crap outta it...it was perfectly fine. Now its a different bike but still. You want high maintenance get a banshee. The 450r is as much maint. as you want to do.

you went 2 years with no oil change:huh ? i change mine after every race weekend!

12-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23

your motor must hate you going 2 years on the same oil. Man if you ride 4 times a month you need a oil change every month and a half or 2 months. How the heck did you chain survive not being lubed anyways? I can feel my chain pull if I dont grease it every ride

BlaineKaiser450
12-29-2007, 11:09 PM
i oil my chain 6 rotations (yes i said 6) every two rides(or every race) and i change the oil every 2-5 hours and mine runs like it is brand new

12-29-2007, 11:24 PM
all depends on how much you ride. Racers need to change oil quite a bit but the regular guy should still change it when its dirty and lube their change quite a bit and clean their air filter. I can feel an improvement in power when I change the oil, clean the filter, or lube my chain. Thursday I was out riding and we unload everything and together say "crap we forgot the chain lube didnt we?" so I rode up to this shop and bought some new chain oil. Well after I sprayed it on the chain good my 400ex ran so smooth it didnt feel like it was pulling anything. I can feel the difference when something is dirt vs clean cause dirty deffinately doesnt run the same.

GIXXER1KR
12-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Must have to stay outta mud!!!LOL!!!:confused:

justinbourque
12-30-2007, 11:47 AM

bloodmoney23
12-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
your motor must hate you going 2 years on the same oil. Man if you ride 4 times a month you need a oil change every month and a half or 2 months. How the heck did you chain survive not being lubed anyways? I can feel my chain pull if I dont grease it every ride

actually when i pulled the engine apart to put in the HC piston and cam and all that. Everything still looked brand new. Now the chain, the chain is now in a salvage yard. To be honest the bike had well over 150 hrs b4 first oil change. The tranny side oil looked a little nasty and could have caused some adverse effects to some of the gears maybe, but the stator side was perfectly fine. The filter......thats a different story. When i did pull out filter it was destroyed. But hey, its a completely different bike now and its time to start maintaining it right. I have a stock of 70 oil filters sittin in my basement. LOL And Chad is going to be redoing my entire engine next winter so im not to worried.