PDA

View Full Version : Axle Bearing problem?

maxthrottle
11-11-2002, 09:13 PM
I can drain almost a cup of water out of the bearing carrier after each time I ride my almost new 2002 400EX through water. After I'm finished washing I've added loosening the four socket head cap screws on the housing and let the dirty, muddy water pour out.
I know that this can't be good for the bearings.
Is there a fix for this? Is there a a way to add a zerk fitting to inject some grease into the gizmo? Should I replace the bearings now before they fail?
Thanks.

bakerboyz
11-12-2002, 07:12 AM
Water will enter your bearing carrier if you have either bad bearing seals or carrier o-rings. Grease will only assist these two parts in doing their job.

Check if you are still under warranty.

Fast-n-Furious
11-12-2002, 08:03 PM
mine was doing that too. I changed the bearings and seals and no more water has gotten in there. So try changing them and see what that does for ya.

11-12-2002, 09:06 PM
yea bearings and seals are probably shot, by knowing this put ur quad in the air and make sure by taking ur axle and shaking back and forth in a upward pulling motion and if it moves some then ur bearings are shot, so thereofre you need new bearings and seals and to keep ur bearings form being **** is grease fittings on ur swingarm, theyll keep the seals soft and bearings spinnin'