PDA

View Full Version : How much HP dose the Epic ds 450 have

kwik man
12-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Dose some one know how much HP & TQ the Epic DS 450 race bike has.
They say the trx 450 race atv has some were around 60 HP &
the TQ is around 36.

Honda4lyphe
12-31-2007, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by kwik man
Dose some one know how much HP & TQ the Epic DS 450 race bike has.
They say the trx 450 race atv has some were around 60 HP &
the TQ is around 36.

The TRX isnt near 60 HP. My estimate would be around 38 hp stock, maybe a little less.

Here is a thread for example of what it takes to get close to your estimate.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=323903

quadwanter
12-31-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Honda4lyphe
The TRX isnt near 60 HP. My estimate would be around 38 hp stock, maybe a little less.

Here is a thread for example of what it takes to get close to your estimate.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=323903

i think he's talking about the pro's bikes.

Honda4lyphe
12-31-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by quadwanter
i think he's talking about the pro's bikes.

I thought about that after i posted, i hope he is anyways.

ThePhantomRider
01-01-2008, 10:44 AM
The Yamaha race bikes average about 62-63 HP and that is pushing it. I know Joe Byrd's Dasa Honda is around 68 HP and that's good for no more than one weekend of racing.

I know considering the weight advantage of the DS I think they are looking to be around 65 HP and stay very reliable. I know the motor itself can handle over 70 but then reliability becomes an issue.

Right now they are working on power packages for 2008 that will suit each of their riders needs.

TPR

TWISTED DINLI
01-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
The Yamaha race bikes average about 62-63 HP and that is pushing it. I know Joe Byrd's Dasa Honda is around 68 HP and that's good for no more than one weekend of racing.

I know considering the weight advantage of the DS I think they are looking to be around 65 HP and stay very reliable. I know the motor itself can handle over 70 but then reliability becomes an issue.

Right now they are working on power packages for 2008 that will suit each of their riders needs.

TPR

do you know what John natalie's 2007 honda HP was?

ThePhantomRider
01-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Knowing the tolerances of the Honda motor, 65-68 HP is about the norm for everyone.

Beyond that you start to flirt with DNF's as the motors become very unstable. You can't win a race you don't finish.

TPR

hanes17
01-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Remember when racing its not peak horse power that matters.

GE4x4
01-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Are you guys talking crank HP?? I've read a few articles from pro racers and I'm pretty sure most were in the low to mid 50's at the wheels.

ThePhantomRider
01-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Yes Hanes, you are absolutely correct, if you have too much HP or it's too peaky you will go nowhere fast.

Today's engine builders create power in these motors tailored to each rider's style and preference. Most of the motors can cover a wide range of power delivery....the reason the HP numbers on the race versions of the YFZ are lower is that the motor is the oldest of the bunch and limited on the upside. Everyone else worked off that and made steps forward. Once the new YFZ comes out you'll see their numbers rise.

With the advent of the DS and KTM, we should start to see a very level playing field in the next 5 years as the 450 class will start to look like their MX cousins...refine, refine, refine with little blips of innovation here and there.

The DS took design and creativity to the next level, and along with KTM, took the OEM level up a few notches to minimize the amount of aftermarket stuff you need to get started in racing.

Good times.

TPR

Ex_Rider43
01-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Looking at the last quadcross race pics , its still FAR from a 60-ish hp engine ,

http://www.atvriders.com/gallery/2007itpquadcross11glenhelenproatvphotos/pages/KE2F3141.html

ThePhantomRider
01-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Yes they were. Those first WORCS and Quadcross races utilized either stock internals or very mild mods, nowhere near 60+ HP. They have taken their time to build power and design the power delivery for each of their riders in order to find the best combination of power, efficency and reliability.

A motor is no good if the power is too peaky or so powerful that you waste an engine every moto or 2. Worse yet, you can have all the power in the world but it can't help you if the motor grenades during the race.

TPR

TWILES
01-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Once the new YFZ comes out you'll see their numbers rise.

So, when will that be? I'm interested. I'll be looking for a new bike around the time the 09's come out. My favorite dealership sells Yamaha, Can-Am, and Suzuki. The one that fits me the best will be the one I take home.

hsr
01-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Bill Ballance claims that yamaha has some 4 wheeled product coming out in 09' that is supposed to 'freak people out'. Aluminum frame, fuel injection...a 250f based racer??? Only time will tell but it sounds like a pretty bold statement especially coming from Mr. Ballance. Should be exciting.

bwamos
01-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by hsr
Bill Ballance claims that yamaha has some 4 wheeled product coming out in 09' that is supposed to 'freak people out'. Aluminum frame, fuel injection...a 250f based racer??? Only time will tell but it sounds like a pretty bold statement especially coming from Mr. Ballance. Should be exciting.

Wouldn't supprise me. It will either be yamaha or suzuki who comes out with it first.

TWILES
01-05-2008, 12:05 PM
I'd like to see FI atleast. I've got the 05 WR450 and the motor is extremely close to the YFZ and getting the carb right is almost impossible. Yamaha always ends up a step ahead of everyone else no matter what it seems like a first. I sold my Banshee to get a 450 in 04 and I got a Honda because it was cheaper. I should have got the Yamaha. After further examination of all the 450's so far, Can-Am has the neatest. Yamaha won't be far behind. I really think the only reason they didn't have anything new of 08 was because they had too many 07 450 parts laying around because the YZ got a lot of new stuff. I guess we'll find out in August.

hsr
01-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Now the real question is...will honda do anything to the 450 for 09'? . Don't hold your breath...

reptikes
01-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by hsr
Now the real question is...will honda do anything to the 450 for 09'? . Don't hold your breath...

exactly.

400exrider989
01-10-2008, 07:58 PM
the race 450s only make about 60 horse when a piped, reeds, filtered, and slightly ported banshee makes that .. i dont want to know how much the pro put in to get 60 outta those 4 strokes:ermm:

still the 450s are fast no matter what but banshees rock

fastR
01-28-2008, 02:24 PM
lol and my laeger 350pv R is gunna make more than 60hp with out even that amazing porting done to it, and its a hell of a lot cheaper to repair when it blows up, and revs alot faster, and since its a 350 pv will end up making about the same torque, and finally, its still out handles any new 450, since its a hell of a lot lighter, and the geometry, chassis, and suspension is still great, thanks to the cr500 link rear end, laeger frame, and pro trax front end