PDA

View Full Version : DynaTek CDI problems

a250rlover
12-29-2007, 04:06 PM
I have an '89 250R. My lighting system is stock and works fine.

I've bought two different DynaTek programmable CDIs off of eBay and tried them on my bike. Neither of them would even start the bike. Assuming they are DOA. I install my old stock CDI and it fires first kick.

Have folks had many problems with the programmable version of the DynaTek CDI?

Is there a way for me to test my regulator to insure it's not the problem?

BKex
12-30-2007, 07:56 AM
I had a non-programable one and it died after about 10 minutes of running on my R. I sent it back to dana they tested it, it was bad then they sent me a new one.

regg187
12-31-2007, 09:05 AM
Now the other side, I also have the dyna non prog, have had it for almost a year, never a problem with it.

If it starts with your old one, wouldn't that mean your reg is OK?.

ringoesroadking
12-31-2007, 09:47 AM
I am waiting for them to send me my 4th non-programable cdi. The three that they have sent me so far all worked, but the bike did not run right at all. It would "break up" in the upper gears. All the boxes were bad but each to a different degree. I did however notice a big improvement in throttle response and the bike revved quicker and higher rpms, which is the only reason I haven't totally given up on the box. Their customer service department is second to none and they have been really good about sending me new boxes after the old ones were tested and proved to be faulty. It's a shame a $100 box has costed me almost 2 months and almost $100 in shipping!

a250rlover
12-31-2007, 10:00 AM
For the Dynatek PROGRAMMABLE, you must have a regulator as it uses the bike's power.

For the NON-PROGRAMMABLE, it just plugs in like a stock CDI and a regulator isn't needed.

Yea, I'm thinking the programmable ones are going to be troublesome. And considering my bike is barely running using the stock CDI it only sounds like my problems will worsen with the programmable version. Here's the issues I'm currently facing with my bike: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=324784

regg187
12-31-2007, 08:48 PM
I have found that my 250R is much easier to start with the DYNA and an NGK iridium plug. Much easier! and I am glad that my box is still working fine! KNOCK ON WOOD!!!

a250rlover
12-31-2007, 10:47 PM
regg187 - which coil are you using? On what kind of engine?

a250rlover
12-31-2007, 10:55 PM
ringoesroadking - have you had any experiences with the non-programmable version? Don't the two units have the same power output, but the only difference is that the prog one has selectable timing curves?

kiesta00
01-01-2008, 02:46 AM
I bought a cdi from dynatek, it never ran good from the first time, it cut out badly on the powerband...but I never sent it back to dyna. Put the stock cdi back on and it runs great!

regg187
01-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by a250rlover
regg187 - which coil are you using? On what kind of engine?

88 250r, 2nd over Wiseco Pro-lite, cr head gasket, 36 pj, k&n, boyessens, reed spacer, paul turner race pipe, stage 1 clean up port work.
(195-200psi) 50/50 VP and 92 premium/40:1 yamalube R

coil is a stocker but newer, from a different honda model, but the same part#(came with a longer lead) new NGK cap

It was a bear to start after sitting 3 days, now 1 month and still fires no more 4 kicks

mxduner
02-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by kiesta00
I bought a cdi from dynatek, it never ran good from the first time, it cut out badly on the powerband...but I never sent it back to dyna. Put the stock cdi back on and it runs great!
I have the same problem with mine too.but it says to use the stock coil and i only have a jaanson coil.thought that was the problem seems it says in the instructions :confused:

a250rlover
02-13-2008, 09:25 AM
I gave up on the programmable unit. One potential problem could be that I'm using a Ricky Stator high output stator which is known to produce less power at low RPM so it might not be giving the CDI the power it needs.

I put in a non-programmable DynaTek and it runs fine with a Nology coil/cap setup.

regg187
02-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by mxduner
I have the same problem with mine too.but it says to use the stock coil and i only have a jaanson coil.thought that was the problem seems it says in the instructions :confused:

I believe your right about the Jannsen, the big sales feature of the Dyna is it gives 800% more spark to the plug, assuming stock coil, the jannsen is different and gives itself a large spark burst, which could cause a prob with the dyna...ie.. lower resistence windings in the coil.:(

The output of the stator shouldn't really effect the spark, it is usually such a small amount of juice that is sent from the pickups, its the capacitors in the cdi and windings in the coil that boost the juice to make it spark. the ign pickups weren't touched when you installed the hi output stator coil. so that all should be the same:)