PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a YFZ

wykyd450R
12-28-2007, 09:07 PM
I have always been a honda fan, but recently I have been thinking of going with a YFZ. I know the earlier models had a problem with oil and the wrist pin or something. Has that been fixed? If so, what year is the most reliable? I am gonna try to pick up an 06 or 07 leftover. I hear the valves in the YFZ are pretty durable. How often do they need adjusted, or replaced? I understand they need to be maintained, which I do alot of. I just want something I can enjoy, instead of having it broke. Thanks in advance.

Bill Fuller
12-29-2007, 08:12 AM
I used to bleed red now that I have switched to the YFZ I won't be going back, unless something major changes. I started with the '04 YFZ ZERO problems. I raced Mid South Hare Scrambles and a few GNCC's never a mechanical DNF. I put the WR kit in a year or so ago and the valves were still in spec. I just recently bought the '08 YFZ and every single aftermarket item swapped over. From A arms to rear grab bar, can't ask for anything better then that. You won't regret it, I promise.

wykyd450R
12-29-2007, 08:36 AM
I definately wont have the cash for an 08, so best I can do is look for a leftover 06-07. I just read alot about the oil mod, and it dont seem to have been done until the 08's?? Guess I am basically wondering if I will have any major issues with an 06-07, cause thats gonna be the most I can afford. I cant afford to have a major failure during the year, because I will have to wait til tax time, as its my only chance to spend any large amount on me or my quad. Having 3...almost 4 kids dont allow much funds for my hobbies.

yfzrider45
12-29-2007, 08:58 AM
I've been hearing about this oil problem...what is it??

Toadz400
12-29-2007, 10:57 AM
They upgraded the oil system in '07. The "problem" is that the wrist pin doesn't get enough oil. It's usually engines that have been raced and have a lot of hours on them that usually see failure. The oil mod is when you have a hole drilled in your case to allow oil to squirt onto the pin. The oil upgrade is a high flow oil pump and the '07+ case that has the actual squirter built in. It's recommend that you do the oil upgrade, not mod, as you won't lose oil pressure.

I bought my '05 YFZ brand new and while it doesn't have the most hours on it, it has been ridden hard. My valves are still in spec and it still runs like a top. I've never been happier with a machine. It all comes down to preference though, the reason I went with the YFZ was because I was more comfortable on it than the 450R which was the only other 450 out at the time.

Dr89
12-29-2007, 04:43 PM
thinking about buying a yfz? haha whats to think about...do it!! you wont regret it for a second...period. my buddy had a totally stock one last summer, he rode his raptor so i ditched my modded out kfx and rode his yfz for the weekend, within minutes i decided that i WOULD have one.

pitdawg
12-29-2007, 06:23 PM
I've got an 06 YFZ, LT-R, and Raptor and hands down I love my YFZ the most, I do have way more money sunk into it cuz its my race bike but I would Highly recommned it!!!