PDA

View Full Version : Parts interchangeable between 400ex and 250R?

rr outlaw
12-28-2007, 06:52 PM
What parts are interchangeable between the two? I am looking at a set of a-arms, shocks (front and rear) Axle, swingarm, from a 400ex and want to know if they fit.

ESR250R
12-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by rr outlaw
What parts are interchangeable between the two? I am looking at a set of a-arms, shocks (front and rear) Axle, swingarm, from a 400ex and want to know if they fit.

axle will work if you use the 400ex hubs, the front shocks will work and i think thats it.

rr outlaw
12-28-2007, 07:10 PM
What about the A-arms?

mineralgrey01gt
12-28-2007, 07:58 PM
front bumper also if you use spacers on the bottom

ESR250R
12-28-2007, 08:04 PM
the a-arms i think are, but only if you modify them slightly. i've never done it, but i have heard that before.

xlr810
12-28-2007, 09:12 PM
The top a-arm is slightly shorter on a 400ex than a 250R, so it'll create a bunch of camber, which can be adjusted on aftermarket arms, but not stockers. The a-arm mounts on the frame are about 3/16" wider on the R, can just run a few washers, or swap to the R bushings in the case of stock arms.

The above replies mentioned stuff that swaps fine. Additionally, the master cylinders can be swapped onto an R from an EX. Tie rods and ends fit. Fenders from the EX can be made to work on an R. The drive chain and rear sprocket work on an R... I'm sure I'm forgetting other items.

honda400exr
01-05-2008, 02:27 PM
There's a pretty big amount of parts that can be swapped if you really want them to swap over. I've got an 86 r frame with 400ex front calipers and master, 400ex rear sprocket is a direct bolt on, the drive chain is the same (520), i've got 400ex plastics and seat on it right now, and to top it all off I've got a 400ex motor in it too. (that's not a bolt on part though)

I think the shocks are the same..front at least, rear i think might be a hair different. and I think the swinger can be made to fit I'm not sure if it's a direct bolt on though. rear axle will work if you use the 400ex lock nut. clutch levers can be swapped. and I'm not sure about anything else.

250Renvy
01-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by honda400exr
I've got an 86 r frame with 400ex front calipers and master, 400ex rear sprocket is a direct bolt on, the drive chain is the same (520), i've got 400ex plastics and seat on it right now, and to top it all off I've got a 400ex motor in it too. (that's not a bolt on part though)

I'd love to see some detailed pictures of this. I don't know if I've ever heard or seen anybody do this. It would probably be a pretty good trail quad.

my88r
01-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by honda400exr
There's a pretty big amount of parts that can be swapped if you really want them to swap over. I've got an 86 r frame with 400ex front calipers and master, 400ex rear sprocket is a direct bolt on, the drive chain is the same (520), i've got 400ex plastics and seat on it right now, and to top it all off I've got a 400ex motor in it too. (that's not a bolt on part though)

I think the shocks are the same..front at least, rear i think might be a hair different. and I think the swinger can be made to fit I'm not sure if it's a direct bolt on though. rear axle will work if you use the 400ex lock nut. clutch levers can be swapped. and I'm not sure about anything else.

ive seen a z400 in a r frame. never seen a ex motor. i would like to see some pics. as awhile back i was thinking about this when i had two exs.

honda400exr
01-06-2008, 09:05 AM
I'll get some pictures for you guys soon...I'm actually just getting around to start taking it apart for some fresh powder and clean some mounts and welds up.

It rips pretty good on the trails that's what I mostly use it for. especially now with the 416 kit in it. just think of the last 416 you ripped around on that was still in an ex frame then drop a good amount of weight off the frame and add the handling of a 250r and that's what I've got... definitely can't complain about the performance!

I'll be sure to get some pics up for you guys maybe during the rebuild if not before.

thanks for the interest in it too....it's been a fun project so far!

Meat
01-07-2008, 06:56 PM
How about a rear brake master cylinder ?

honda400exr
01-08-2008, 01:43 PM
the rear master cylinder can be swapped but you need to make an adapter because the shaft comming out of the 400ex master is shorter than the 250r so you need to make some kind of bracket adapter type thing to lengthen it to reach the brake lever on the 250r

honda400exr
01-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Sorry it took so long to get some pics but I have some now that I'll try to post for you all..it's not the purdiest thing right now cause I'm still working on the mechanical things before it get's all sexyfied..

honda400exr
01-26-2008, 05:59 PM
another

honda400exr
01-26-2008, 06:08 PM
as you can see in my sig I was gunna do the frame in a mystichrome colorchanging powdercoat but I think I've changed my mind.

right now I'm planning on going with a gloss black frame, steering stem, handle bars, swinger and a-arms. but thought about maybe doing the upper a-arms and the swinger in a blue and the rest in black. then it's getting the new green full bores with a black seat (plastic and seat will be 250r then instead of 400ex) and put some trail tech lights at the top shock mounts in the front. and some black and blue graphics to match the powder.

let me know what you guys think and if you've got some suggestions on the colors let me know too.

and if you've got any questions about it I'd be glad to answer them

ib2strokin
01-26-2008, 11:05 PM
i like the green/black scheme! thats exactly what im planning to do, i think it will look pretty sick! if you get it done pretty soon PLEASE post some pics or pm me!