PDA

View Full Version : Drag Suspension Setup.......

stevengates45
07-31-2001, 08:27 PM
I have been thinkin. I want to do somthin dif w/ my setup on my bike. I was thinkin about gettin an extended swing arm, but decided not to after talking to a friend who got one for his EX. I already know they will cost you an arm & a leg to get 'em & you have to get them made,(cant just go out & buy) & they dont turn as good & they jump bad whenever your not draggin. So I was thinkin. What about instead of struts in the front & the back end strapped down, what about leavin the struts in the front or either buying little shocks for the front & take one of my Works front shocks & put it in the place of the rear shock?? I know that to make it fit though I will have to add washers so the shock wont slide around. That sound good??

Winged Warrior
08-02-2001, 09:08 PM
Hey steve, i dont know much on this subject but i went to my first drag the other night one ex in my class had Elka shocks all around ,these things are fully adjustable ,he had the thing a few inches off the ground! did WELL too.(Ekka . com) about 1000 up front ,600 rear ,WOAH!!!!!!! big $ .I strapped mine in the front like you said ,and my front end still shoot to the moon.need dif tires ect. i think

stevengates45
08-02-2001, 10:00 PM
I forgot to tell ya that when u come up off of the line to basically sit on the gas tank & lean over the handle bars. Strap it down till the front shocks are extremely close to bottoming out. Do the same for the back.

08-28-2001, 03:05 PM
THERE IS A GUY THAT COMES OUT TO OUR LOCAL DRAG STRIP WITH A DS650 AND ON HIS HE HAS TAKEN ANGLE IRON AND PUT WHERE THE FRONT SHOCKS ARE AND HAS LEFT THE REAR SHOCK. HE ALSO HAS SOME LITTLE HOOSIER DIRT TRACK TIRES ON THE REAR. HIS SETUP REALLY WORKS TOO BECAUSE HE ALSO HAS A 25 OR 50 SHOT OF NITROUS OXIDE ON THE QUAD ALSO AND HE HARDLY EVER WHEELIES IT EVEN WITH THE NITROUS ON IT.

MikeL250X
08-30-2001, 09:15 AM
"sir, step away from the caps key" anyway, weight transfer is going to be your biggest obstacle, alot of street bikes around here use front suspension straps, also making the rear as stiff as possible should be your goal, try to keep the font lower than the rear as stated before. When I launch the quad if I just slip the clutch some it usually keeps the front end under control.

stevengates45
08-30-2001, 04:31 PM
Sure, slippin the clutch would work, but what happens when u race another bike in ur class that is strutted down & doesnt have to slip the clutch. I was just seein what other ppl would do. The best thing to do is easly this.... strut the front & put a front shock in place of the rear. Yes, I know this is the best because thats the way my bike is. By doing this, no slipping clutch neccessary. One tip to others, slipping the clutch in drag racing is a no no.

Chef
09-03-2001, 10:43 PM
it doesnt matter if i slip the clutch or not on my bike when drag racing. when i launch in second gear and slip the clutch out my rear tires spin and the front end comes up off the ground about 3 feet until i shift, unless i just give it full throttle then it will probably flip over. too bad that darn swingarm isnt going to be here for a month.

Winged Warrior
09-14-2001, 01:48 PM
Smaller less agressive rear tires/rims help a ton . i got 18 in turf tamers and my hole shot it much better! strap down the front and goooooooooooo.:blah :blah :blah im going to a drag tomarrow night.

RideRed04
09-14-2001, 05:01 PM
Stock banshee shocks are shorter then ex shocks, and will bolt right up... could also try 300ex shocks. If you strap them, there ya go! Get an adjustable strut for the rear (replaces your linkage, and allows hight adjustment). Post a pic of the pimped out lowrider when you get done!

Winged Warrior
09-21-2001, 06:22 PM
Also adjusting/ shifting your weight forward and different soil conditions matter a LOT;)