PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki LTZ or Honda TRX250R for MX?

rr outlaw
12-28-2007, 01:10 PM
I would like to know which would be better for MX with the following mods

LTZ-
455 big bore kit, Elka elite shocks all arround, full gussett kit, FMF powerbomb header and 4.1 pipe

TRX-
Bored to either 265 or 310 (want low end power), Elka elite shocks all arround, good pipe for low end.

I know both quads will have enough power with some to spare, so I guess it comesw down to handling and ergos. (please no brand-loyal opinions. I just want to know which one will be better for what I want)

800screws
12-28-2007, 01:52 PM
i had a jrd that was a 426 and a 310R...2 strokes are fun and can be competitve, but a 4 stroke is just so damn easier to ride and more controlable. i recently got rid of the jrd in order to get a ltr450...although i still have a laegers R for fun. my buddies on a full mx predator and 450r would really stay ahead against a 330r my friend raced.

i know, everyone will say it's the rider, but more power gets to the ground with a fourstroke, i don't think u can really argue it...and if u are looking at a ltz, remember gust used to win with one of them. not sure how it would compete with the new crop of race bikes, but for anyone but an expert, i think that would be a better choice for racing.

bardeenm1
12-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Ok here is the scoop I owned a fully built ltz and the best thing I ever did was get rid of it for my "r" now this is not a brand loyal thing I still hang a zuk banner in the garage along side the honda banner. Bottom line is the r is a better machine with a stronger buildable motor, handles better, lower center of gravity is a huge difference and the power of a solid 2 stroke (nothing like it).
I've built my r in a narrw frame cr500 linked 265 PV ported by FTZ and my old LTZ could never hold a candle to it on it best day!

Now here are some details many may not think about.

LTZ has an oil circulation pump driven buy a plastic gear if this fails say by by to much of the motor! Price out a new 4poke top end it'll hurt the wallet bad!

The r if you mix the oil wrong to bad you're a dumby! No plastic gears inside my r motor to fail!

The LTZ was a fun trail machine at 400cc with a pipe after that it is a time bomb!

Now an LTR on the other hand is a bad ars machine I'd still take my r though!

If you want a 4poke MX machine go for a factory 450!

If you want the best ever made you know what one to get!

rr outlaw
12-28-2007, 02:01 PM
WOW! Two conflicting posts. I hear what you are saying about the 250r and reliability. What could I do to the 250r to get it to make good torque? It is a stock 250cc motor and that is going to change anyway.

800screws
12-28-2007, 02:12 PM
hey, i love my R as well. it brings a rush that a fourstroke does not have at all! but look what he has...just like me a narrow frame pro trax R. that's a long way from a stock engine/ framed 250r.

i agree the ltz is probably not the best choice, when there are yfz or 450r's that are race ready and affordable, but for ease of racing, a fourstroke is faster for novice riders, especially when the rest of the field is probably on them.

u are looking for low end also...a smaller displacement R is a wide open kind of ride. while a fourstroke has grunt and torque.

u would have to build the R up also which costs money. just my $.02.

i can't decide either! that's why i have both.

rr outlaw
12-28-2007, 03:03 PM
well, as far as building up the r, I have $3,000 after I buy it.

rr outlaw
12-28-2007, 03:05 PM
I would still have to put money into the LTZ too if I were to go that way

LT250Racer609
12-28-2007, 04:20 PM
ok....

I owned and raced a Lonestar 250R for 2 years. It had a GT thunder 265 on it, then I put a 310...then finally went to a CT 350 kit. Its sad to say, but 2 years ago when I first got my R with the 265 kit, I was always upfront in the AM class every race (this was before everyone became a die hard 450 lover)....When i came back early this year with my 310 after my injury, i couldnt even hang with the top guys. I upgraded to the CT 350 and still, just couldnt do it. Its sad to say, but the 2 stroke age is over...its hard to keep them up front in faster classes with the 450's. They just have something a 2 stroke never will...and thats Torque

If your gonna be TT racing, OR flat track oval....I would reccomend a 250R with a 350 kit..if your gonna be doing motocross, you need a 450.

Now I own a PRP, Roll design Hybrid YZ444 ....this quad is a different story. 250R chassis, with a roll design/axis long travel front end, and a motor that will pull a pick up truck...this quad cleans house, compared to my 250R on its best day...

On a side note, I also owned a 450R....and hated it...theirs not 1 factory bike out there that I have liked that I have ridden...im all about my hybrid now

My dad owns a fully built 265R too....its just sitting in the garage tho

bardeenm1
12-28-2007, 05:23 PM
I do agree that a 4 stroke is easier to ride and that some days a r without the correct rider will not be as competetive and is more limited how the power hooks up per track conditions.

What I was kind of getting at is if you are buying the quad then building it a ltz is not the way to go for MX Yes Doug did win on an LTZ but look at the classes back the full out Yoshi suzuk is far cry from the average racer that builds a LTZ motor. Suzuki new that motor isn't a strong race motor and so should others!

You also need to decide what class you want to run.

I will not brand bash like I said previously I hang all banners in my garage just to race you do not want a LTZ in the garage!

If you decide a 4stroke is the way with what sounds to be a fairly large budget (machine +3k) you can get a Hybrid like LT250Racer609 has (lots of them for sale these days) or a TRX450r, LTR, YFZ. You can more than likely get something nicely built!

You will be better off with anyof those over the LTR motor!

2 Strokes aren't for everyone!

If I ever buy another 4wheeler besides a work horse it would be a Hybrid or a KTM

;)

rr outlaw
12-28-2007, 05:27 PM
bardeenm1- I aggree whith what you are saying. Right now, a 450 is preety much not an option. I think I am going to go with the 250 and set that up for MX

csr250r
12-29-2007, 10:47 PM
I would get a 450 if i were you, i race my 250r and i work harder to keep in the top. for motocross the 450 is best, i love the 250rs handling though.

As for the z400 i dont have alot of expirence with them, but they flared for like a year then died out to the 450s.