PDA

View Full Version : Starting an awesome rebuild

markvette
12-27-2007, 10:33 PM
well my 14 year old son has moved off his 300ex to his brothers old ex/yz426 hybrid so i have decided to rebuild the 300 from the ground up. i will be getting a new bottom end after the first since his has a hole in the case where the chain broke and hit it. motor will stay the same as it is real strong. 60 over, 11 to 1 wiseco, pro head port and polish, powroll cam and 400ex carb. the frame its in has broken top mounts but i have a spare i will be putting everything in. right now quad has plus 2 denton 400ex a-arms, works front and rear shocks, maier yellow plastic with verde flame graphics and seat cover. i have bought equipment and started powder coating at home so quad will have a lot of powder coated parts. the pic at the bottom of this post is a sample of the colors i will use. it is transparent red with different color base coats and the red as a top coat. frame will be transparent red over silver, top a-arms will be the same and so will the swinger. bottom a-arms, hubs, grab bar, bumper and nerfs will be transparent red over silver vein. engine cases, cylinder, and head will be gloss black. engine side covers, starter cover and oil filter cover will be in the red vein, header will high heat gloss black. sparks silencer will be transparent red with darker red flames on it. breke calipers will be gloss black as will sprocket, brake mount and rad lock nut. bead lock rims will be gross black with the rings done in transparent red. i will post pics as progress goes on the quad.

Mark

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/quaddad1958/100_2605.jpg

markvette
12-27-2007, 10:37 PM
this is what i am talking about doing to the silencer. this is the air shrouds i done for the hybrid. flames are blue metallic base coat, rest of shrouds are extreme chrome base coat then whole shroud top coated with lolly pop blue.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/quaddad1958/100_2528.jpg

markvette
12-27-2007, 10:39 PM
this is what i am starting with.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/quaddad1958/100_2093.jpg

honda300EXtreme
12-28-2007, 07:13 PM
looks like it should be a nice build up,,
you did a really good job with the shrouds,,id like to get a small powder coat kit,, but id get addicted :p

keep it updated

12-28-2007, 11:38 PM
man that thing is gonna turn out so nice

JIMFROMTEXCO
12-29-2007, 11:43 AM
if i might ask are you using a gas or electric oven? i have a chance to pick up several late 90's ovens from an apartment complex and am thinking of selling some off to buy equip to pc. is it pretty simple to do?

markvette
12-29-2007, 03:56 PM
cant use gas, the powder is explosive in powder form. you have to use electric. its not really hard. prep is the key. theres a couple of forums on it, you can learn a lot on them. i done the 300 clutch side cover yesterday. it came out awesome and the red vein oil filter cover looks good on it too

markvette
04-01-2008, 12:05 AM
ok i finally am getting a little time to work on this project. the frame will be powdered next week so i will start switching parts over soon. since i had a spare rolling chassie i started powder coating some parts off the spare frame to use on the finished quad. some of the colors have changed. i will list what i have done so far.

1. head pipe, hi temp silver
2. silencer, polished the can and powdered the end cap candy red, this is a white brothers exhaust
3. thumb throttle, bottom chrome powder, top candy red
4. levers, chrome powder
5. hand guard mounts, chrome powder
6. bar mounts, candy red
7. battery box, chrome powder
8. front fender bracket, chrome powder
9. rear brake lever,, chrome powder
10. shifter, chrome powder
11. foot pegs, chrome powder
12. left and right engine covers, candy red
13. oil filter cover, starter gear cover, valve caps, timing plugs, rear hubs, front hubs all in red vein
14. grab bar, nerf bars, front and rear brake calipers, super wet black
15. steering stem clamp, chrome powder
16. brake stay and rad lock nut in gloss black
17. front ac bumper, red vein
18. cylinder and head, super wet black

still have to do the upper a-arms and frame in candy red. also the lower a-arms and swing arm in red vein. rims will be gloss black with the beads from the bead locks in candy red, hopefully this thing will at least be rilling in a few weeks. still got to order some stainless covered brake lines, will keep progress posted as i go.

panther99
04-01-2008, 06:37 AM
I am thinking of doing something similar to my 300. When its all said and done, could you give me an estimated cost of the powder coating.
Thanks