PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Spacers in the back--good/bad?

jesseweaver
12-27-2007, 08:50 PM
i guess wheel spacers in the front aren't that good, but what about in the back? what are some advantages and disadvatages? and how long will a stock axle hold up riding at tracks and racing? are the g-force axles good, because i dont really have enough money for a lonestar or anything like that.

fastredrider44
12-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Are you wanting to race at mx tracks, or race xc. The rear is a little narrow for mx, but avoid wheel spacers. I wanted my rear end a little wider, so I went with offset wheels. The stock axle will hold up to a lot of abuse and jumping before bending, but avoid wheel spacers.

jesseweaver
12-27-2007, 09:35 PM
ok thanks. id be racing about half mx and half xc. i guess maybe a little more cross country cause id be on a 416 against 450s. does anyone race 400s in like C class and stuff anymore?

jesseweaver
12-27-2007, 09:37 PM
oh yea, what about flipping the wheels in the front, this will make it a little wider up front wont it? how much wider? or is it not good to flip them?

12-27-2007, 09:50 PM
spacers a deffinate NO! flipping the wheels eh i'm iffy about that. seen it done but i wouldnt try it on mine. I look at it as if you are going to take the easy cheap way out your gonna wish you just did it right the 1st time. Get a-arms and an axle. It may cost more but in the end its 100% worth it

00.400ex#55
12-27-2007, 09:57 PM
my front wheels are fliped. i love it, just need some washers so the valve stem will clear the caliper. people talk about bump steer and all that ****, i didnt notice a thing. although ive never owned or ridin on a 3k front end. in my opinion, its better then being stock width and cost about 5 bucks to do. if you dont like it then flip them back. for the back, a g force axel is only like 200$.

12-27-2007, 09:59 PM
the lonestar axcaliber i think it is has a lifetime warranty and they will replace it if you bend or break the axle. In other words you bend your wheels before your axle so then just get stronger wheels which stock are actually some of the strongest wheels you can have. Theres durablue axles too its all what your willing to pay for.

tanner 222
12-28-2007, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
the lonestar axcaliber i think it is has a lifetime warranty and they will replace it if you bend or break the axle. In other words you bend your wheels before your axle so then just get stronger wheels which stock are actually some of the strongest wheels you can have. Theres durablue axles too its all what your willing to pay for.

the lifetime warranty is true but if it bends they just bend it back in place which is useless and they only replace it if it breaks in half. stock wheels are not strong at all. every new bike i've had ive bent the rims on them and had to buy some beadlocks which i buy hipers which i havent broke or bent yet. if you check charts and other things where people have tested axles durablue is always at the bottom. ive had a lonestar myself and i found it was pretty strong. ive had some pretty nasty landings and theyve seem to hold up but if i were you save your money and buy a rpm dominator 2 axle. only 5 people i think in all of canada have bent or broken one so they are pretty strong. for your front end if you want to go cheap flip your rims around but i wouldnt race it like that for a long time. ive bent several tie rods just racing my 400 which i only had for i think 4 months. for rear spacers DO NOT BUY ! i thought itd be alright to and i had everyone telling me it wasnt worth it but i went against it and broke my axle right in half my first lap of the first moto racing mx. so i guess the people were right :p.

12-28-2007, 08:40 AM
yeah on smaller atvs wheel spacers are ok... but on things as wide as a 400ex or 450r its a deffinate no! So when you bend th LSR axle they just bend it back into place? that sucks because then its just weaker

tanner 222
12-28-2007, 08:43 AM
exactly thats why things arent always as good as they sound :D

12-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by tanner 222
exactly thats why things arent always as good as they sound :D

glad to hear this. I havent bent my stock axle yet just my 1 wheel is slighlty bent nothing to serious. You really have to land weird to bend an axle. I've landed on just my left rear wheel pretty hard and at such an angle yet all thats wrong is the wheel is slightly bent barely at all. My 400ex seems like a tank, when i do crash I end up crashing hard. Like the time I tried to jump a cliff... did it 3 times perfect, 4th time I should have stopped on the 3rd story ends with a sideways landingon just the left rear tire then throwing me down a cliff then my 400ex rolling then falling on top of me from 14ft and crushing my legs. Didnt bend the bars, stem anything besides that slight bend in the wheel dont know how thats all that got damaged besides my legs haha

tanner 222
12-28-2007, 11:20 AM
haha wow you've had your share of accidents. ya as soon as i broke my stock one when i had the spacers on i bought the LSR one. ive had some crazy landings with that. jumped a 70 ft table landed on the right side and didnt even bend it but i blew out my tire. ive dont that quite a bit cuz our take offs up here are the sh*ts.