PDA

View Full Version : thinking of getting a shee but have a few q's

BIGKURT666
12-27-2007, 07:42 PM
ok from what i've heard banshees arent the best handling bikes out there is there a way to make em better and what would it take parts wise n money. i dont ride anyone place, im a more of a all around rider some dunes, desert, some trails, some mountains... anyhow i really like all the power u can get out of a banshee, and there cheap = )

thanks

Hondamaster5505
12-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by BIGKURT666
ok from what i've heard banshees arent the best handling bikes out there is there a way to make em better and what would it take parts wise n money. i dont ride anyone place, im a more of a all around rider some dunes, desert, some trails, some mountains... anyhow i really like all the power u can get out of a banshee, and there cheap = )

thanks

Banshee's are ALRIGHT handling if you really know how to ride, but no matter how you think of it, its still 80's technology.

You can try to find some used aftermarket front shocks, and offset front rims.

For the back you could either try and dial it in or try to maybe put a raptor rear shock. Then you could get away with wheel spacers in the back.

That should help with handling a bit.

For dunes and desert, its great. If you are gonna do some trail/mountain riding, its gonna be a rough ride. We get away with it but its not very fun. The shocks would help and you could also lower the front sproket so you dont have to feather the clutch so much and you could keep the r's up. We run a 12-tooth and it works great.

If you do 50/50 on both types of riding, i recomend finding a used 450 somewhere. They are still fast in the dunes and better in trails than banshee's are by far. I know most are expensive, but there are great deals out there. Theres actually a 450r for sale for $2700 in the for sale section on this website;)

If you do more dunes/desert than trails/mountains, go for a banshee. They have the most fun power and wicked powerband for dune climbin and cruisin.

If you do more trails/mountains then dunes/desert than look for a 400ex/z400/kfx400/dvx400. They will give the most usable power and comfortable ride on the trail.

Hope i helped ya out :D

bloodmoney23
12-27-2007, 08:33 PM
If you want to get a banshee to handle great, they are already decent but def not for hitting no 50ft doubles....you would just need to buy some aftermarket +2 a-arms and some shocks, and a extended axle. just hit up ebay......to make the banshee a superior handler you are looking at about $1500.00 All in all....unless you cant ride, the bike will do just fine as is. I climbed hills, trail rode (dont do it its no fun) and screwed around on a homeade mx track and i didnt have a problem with stock suspension.

660r2a400ex
12-28-2007, 12:58 PM
i have two, pretty much in stock outfit, the banshees do not handle as bad as people say, and as far as the 80's technology, they are still a competing quad, extremely fun and fast, if you absolutely love trails this may not be the bike for you, spins a lot i have paddles on one bike and it spins every where. i have hit smaller whoop d doos and doubles does fine would never try to launch on the bigger jumps but im a wus too. overall fun bike but im in to dragg'n so of course i like it, 1000-2000 in suspension and a-arms, 300-600 axle, -2 swinger, good set of tires, me personally i found out that stockers hook up best on these bikes, run low pressure 2.0-2.5 psi ! overall you'll need 3-4 grand to hang with the 450s on the track, get them on a 1/4 mile of pavement though and you'll see whos got 80's technology !:)

bloodmoney23
12-28-2007, 02:00 PM
hey ryan how do you like that 06? is it treating you good too? heres a pic of my 450 so far. Should be done tomorrow, fine tuned and all. Think your bike can beat me now? Well probly but the engine is getting full rebuild next year. Ill send you a pic when its done. Ill come out to VA sometime this summer and well drag it and my old bike out. Later man.
http://i10.tinypic.com/6kf5740.jpg
http://i11.tinypic.com/6l49qp5.jpg
http://i6.tinypic.com/8fmu45k.jpg

660r2a400ex
12-28-2007, 02:49 PM
lol, that bike is hot man, wish we had the $$$$$ to do that to my roomates 450, he keeps beating me on the banshees and then my boy just picked up an 04 shee too and the 450 is just killin us...but i built it so i dont feel bad ! but yea come on out here one day we go down to slades a lot which is a 400 acre atv park, drags trails and some small whoop d doos here and there, its fun 15 bucks and you ride all day. are those bling star nerfs ?

bloodmoney23
12-28-2007, 05:24 PM
no they are pro armor but i powder coated them candy red with a chrome base. we will def make a trip out there though. Hey ill sell you my 450r for $18,000.00.....Its got a total of $23,000.00 invested. Got my ported head and 480cc big bore kit on the way too.

Hondamaster5505
12-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23
no they are pro armor but i powder coated them candy red with a chrome base. we will def make a trip out there though. Hey ill sell you my 450r for $18,000.00.....Its got a total of $23,000.00 invested. Got my ported head and 480cc big bore kit on the way too.

$18,000!!!!

Damn, no one will buy it for that much, lol, no offense.

Thats the only bad thing about putting money into your atv's/dirtbikes, you can never make your money back.

Thats why i would never put an extreme amount of money into something unless i was definitly keeping it.

bloodmoney23
12-29-2007, 06:40 AM
thats why im keeping it......i was just playing around with 660r. I knew he wouldnt buy it for 18 and i know you can never get 18.

Hondamaster5505
12-29-2007, 07:02 AM
lol

chevyman89
12-29-2007, 07:22 AM
I don't know if anyone mention it yet but if ur looking to not spend that much money on the front end u can find a used set of YFZ a arms and stock shocks they fit the banshee with a little of modifications. Good cheap mod from what i herd.

Hondamaster5505
12-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by chevyman89
I don't know if anyone mention it yet but if ur looking to not spend that much money on the front end u can find a used set of YFZ a arms and stock shocks they fit the banshee with a little of modifications. Good cheap mod from what i herd.

no no no. according to rajuncajunn they are horrible. He has that setup.

yfz shocks on stock banshee arms work okay though

660r2a400ex
12-29-2007, 08:03 AM
banshees a banshee they scream they have a fun power band, they dont handle as well as others, they are a higher maintence quad then others they $uk in trails....but they are what they are for people trying to change them, different plastics suspension, stuff like that, just buy a 400 or a 450, you can find banshees from 2500-4500 and 450s for $3000 on up you just have to find the right deal dont buy a banshee cause its cheap but it cause you want it if you want great suspension like bloody elkas ! just get a 450 and head in his direction cause the banshee will never handle like his bike, probally why he got rid of it !:) and naw blood, i gotta save my pennys to get your black bike in the 80 hp #'s ! then i just bought that 06 for $7000 !!! so im cleaned out but keep up the good work man, it looks good, i'd like to see that when its finish as "quad of the Month"

bloodmoney23
12-29-2007, 09:01 AM
i wished it would get quad of the month but the engine looks too nasty for QOM. Nothing I can do will get it clean. And for the YFZ A-arms and shocks......It Blows! Do the shocks only if you want to keep from bottoming the shocks out while playin around but dont do the a-arms. It would be cheaper to get some std travel +2 arms and use the stock shocks than to go that route. 660R has a great point. A Banshee is a Banshee....it does what you want it to do but sucks in trails. Anything else the bike will put a smile on your face. Can you MX it? Yes you can, but you will need to find a bottom end cause these dont have it. Its a powerband based bike and the powerband is the best of any 2 stroke ive ever seen. And no Ryan, I got rid of the banshee cause MX has been taken over by the 4 strokes so in order to be competitive w/o making it 80HP just do a 450R. Banshee just aint got enuf bottom end for me. I dont care about top speed no more. I just care about getting to top speed FASTER!!! Anyway, dude, if you are considering buying a shee then buy it. If you dont liek it you can turn around and sell it for what you bought it for or more. In my experience.....you wont be disappointed.

660r2a400ex
12-29-2007, 09:18 AM
all true, and scrub that motor with green lightning, then polish the whole thing, if all else fails try to keep the motor out of the pics the best you can

Hondamaster5505
12-29-2007, 09:33 AM
i forget who used to race a banshee, but some guy used to mx it. He had PT Mid-range pipes and stuff like that, he did pretty good.

And did anyone ever see the long-travel Sun Dahl (i think i spelt it wrong) banshee! I think it was in dirtwheels a while back, or atv action.

The thing was sick!

bloodmoney23
12-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by 660r2a400ex
all true, and scrub that motor with green lightning, then polish the whole thing, if all else fails try to keep the motor out of the pics the best you can

trust me i have already tried everything from mothers- maguires and brake cleaner to carb cleaner........NOTHING is working and im sorry but i dont want to sit there for hours with a dremel and buffer wheel.

660r2a400ex
12-31-2007, 06:58 AM
true, hey, lol, not a big deal but whats up with this right front wheel on the shee, all lug nuts stripped out, lol...i'll get them off , im gonna try a chizzel today, all others came off fine but 3 of the 4 were stripped on right front

bloodmoney23
12-31-2007, 09:12 AM
****, ill send you the lug nuts. My brother must have put the stock ones back on. They were torqued so strong from factory they stripped the first time. I bought new lugs for it and apparently they didnt get put on. I dont even have a clue how they got it back on! So i'll send those out with killswitch and title. I got all 16 too. Sorry bout that. P.S. the engine on 450 is clean.

660r2a400ex
12-31-2007, 09:59 AM
naw man, dont worry bout it im gonna mess with it tonight, i'll get them off and just pick up a couple extras, im trying to get the paddles on ur old bike !

bloodmoney23
12-31-2007, 10:23 AM
well ill send them anyway, i dont really need them anymore.

bloodmoney23
01-02-2008, 04:00 PM
well heres the finish guys......i know its a 450r. but yall dont go that way too much so i figured i would post it here as well.
http://i11.tinypic.com/71hnc6b.jpg
http://i13.tinypic.com/6yebrk0.jpg

RagunCajun
01-02-2008, 09:50 PM
i bought my banshee because of the powerband and bad *** top end power. That's the only reason i own a banshee. Nothing comes close to it fun wise imo.

banshee are faster in strait lines dollar for dollar than 4 strokes.

Dont get me wrong, id love a 450 but i only have enough room/money for one quad.

BTW, you can get a nice used banshee, add nice suspension, get some engine mods and it will still be much cheaper than a new 450.

yay http://www.2sly4.us/rc/codys_stuff/MyBanshee/banshee2%2012-30-07.JPG

and an older oen with the crappy yfz450 front end http://www.2sly4.us/rc/codys_stuff/MyBanshee/new%20grill5%209-21-07-800x.jpg

Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
iAnd did anyone ever see the long-travel Sun Dahl (i think i spelt it wrong) banshee! I think it was in dirtwheels a while back, or atv action.

The thing was sick!
dirtwheels is garbage. too many ads and bias reviews. and i see more and more UTV stuff in there. yuck.:mad:

vrand
01-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Banshee's and even the old 250 R are still to date one of the most sought after big quads around. Now talk about today's classes. All 450 4-strokes same plats. Be diff. I've got a pic of minhe on a 110 ft triple. As far4 as handling you put the same money in a shee that you would a new 450 and it will run with them all day. Now invest alittle more and go big bore and stroke it and then you have a 450 eater. No 4-stroke will ever produce the power a 2 can. My shee is not the best looking thing out there but I have no prob keeping up!!!!!!

bloodmoney23
01-03-2008, 01:02 PM
well i would be glad to race you.....

660r2a400ex
01-03-2008, 01:09 PM
i agree and disagree, any quad with $money can handle and go fast but it takes a much more skilled rider on the shee then a 450, the same rider on both quads is going to pull better times on a 450 period

RagunCajun
01-03-2008, 07:07 PM
u dont bore, stroke whatever a 2 stroke like a banshee. you port it. boring just waste cylinder life.

banshees will never have the low end grunt and traction 4 strokes have.

As for winning races, it's more the rider, not the bike which determines the winner.

660r2a400ex
01-04-2008, 07:03 AM
the bike helps obvisously, other wise they would have never invented 450's, yes u can moto-x on a banshee but y, its more work, more tiring, just get a 450, a 450 is the best all around bike ever