PDA

View Full Version : bike riders i want your help!

woodsracer144
12-27-2007, 07:27 PM
hey,, im lookin in to gettin in the bike... quads are funn but its too much for me to mod them out...
i have alot of friends that are runnin bikes and they have a fast bike with little mods...

i found a 05 rmz 250 with some modds and thats 2500 and i found a 03 rm 124 with a after market exhaust and other odds and ends for 1500 thats a a godo deal any pros or cons to these bikes?

i know the 04 rmz was a total joke and a half... but i dont know how the 05 turned out or how the rm was... im open to anything let me know

mine
12-27-2007, 11:08 PM
- Pretty much both those bikes are garbage.But for the 2- given i would go with the rm 125. I honestly wouldn't even consider buying a used 4-stroke thats 4 years old ( 05 models were released in 04 ).

- If your planning on racing look at the new ama displacement rules.

- 125 and 250 2 - strokes havent changed at all since 2005 besides ktm's SX line up.

- Any 250f or 450f from 05 and down besides the 2005 crf450 is a joke.

06 and up 250f -

kawis handle well blow easy,
zuks handle well with a decent engine,
yami has a solid bike engine/handling,
honda has a strong engine sucky handling.
I would never buy a ktm.

06 and up 450f -

kawis handle well blow easy,
honda strong engine handles well,
Suzuki decent handling strong engine Unless its an 08, then stong motor awesome handling.
Yamaha - super strong engine with decent handling,
ktm, once again don't ask

If i were you, and saving money is a priority, go 2-stroke.

Mike

woodsracer144
12-28-2007, 09:09 AM
ok i had a type or in the first post its a 125 not a 124... but do you know if pro-x or someone makes a top end kit to take it to the 144?

ktms i dont care for... they might have excel rims and some other aftermarket goodis but they a **** load of $$ to fix...

the guy with the rm125 never raced it he rode it in pits by his house and i know his dad pretty well...
i think its got a full fmf system, i think the shocks are re-valved and there is motorwork done i know reeds but i dont know what there is for a bore job... any good set ups to run with the 125 bikes? could i swap a 250f motor in that down the road if i wanted to?

mine
12-28-2007, 10:23 AM
No, you cant swap a 250f motor without alot of fabricating and welding, it also would'nt be the smartest of ideas. MAYBE a 250 t-stroke engine from the same year will be compatibel with minor work.

Yes, I think you could bore a 125 out all the way to a 153. correct me if im wrong but I do know for a fact that they make a 144 and some other types. Steve at moto814 does the 144 and probably the best 2-stroke work around.

A 125 will always be playbike to me. I had one and it had no balls at all. Unless your between the ages of 12 and 15 and weigh under 160 lbs, a 125 won't be good for you. You could really do what you want to it, bore it out, port/polish shave the head, then maybe it will be fun to ride, but other wise you have to whine the clutch out, which also means more top/bottom ends and alot more burnt up clutches. I would honsestly go by the guidlines of my previous post if you're looking into dirtbikes.

It also seems like you're trying to get a deal " Im not saying your cheaping out " If you are Iwouldnt go with a 4-stroke, modern day 4-stroke motocross bikes require ALOT of maintenence valves/timing/filter/motor oil/tranny oil and once they blow, you could say goodbye to all that guap in your wallet.

I would look for an 2005 and up 250 - 2 stroke if i were you. you can now race them with the 250'fs and you dont have to worry about the hefty price tag on maintanence and "what if " they blow up.

- I had a kx 125 which had no balls w/ decent handling
- I had a crf 450 that wouldnt turn for crap, but could flip me on a dime
- Now i have a 2005 yz250 that i picked up for $2000 with a completly rebuilt engine. that handles awesome and pulls hard throughout the rpm range.

Hope this helps

Just my .02

Mike

woodsracer144
12-28-2007, 02:39 PM
this is my first bike... i rode a 04 yz250 at a buddys track but i didnt hit any jumps... he had the trottle set up so with the slighetest turn of it it would be wide open and it kicked me all over... i was on a sandy pull hill and i was in 2 and i was scared ****less i didnt even take it a full lap... i like my buddys yz125 but its a bit old and she coudl use some work its still a fun ride... i just want a cheap bike that is light and handles well and that i can have a strong motor.
the way i learnd on atv's was i started on a 90... it was a buddys then after i rode that a yar i was on a 250x and then they also got a 300ex i would ride the 250 and my buddy would go on the 300. they sold the 250 and got a 250r and i rode on the 300 then and then after a while they got a 400ex and i rode the 250r a little bit but not much then the sold that and i would ride the 400ex because my buddy got the 450r the first time i rode it i was on the 400 most the day and i really like how it handled and then i took that 450 for a spin... i was soo smooth. the motor was there the handleing was right there. it was all right... i just want a bike like that i think i could do a 250 if it had a longer throttle revving on it i dont know what its called theres a 03 rm 250 thats mostly all stock for 1600 but its a ways away.///

KXRida
12-29-2007, 11:01 AM
I'd personally go with the 125 if you plan on doing any kind or racing at all. If you think the 04 rmz was a joke, I'd stray away from the 05 seeing how it is almost the exact same bike as the 04. I too am not big on buying used older 4 strokes unless I've known the person who owns them, other than that I wouldn't look any older than an 06. As Mine said, the 125's done have anything, atleast for me. That would be why I got rid of mine. I too would look for a 250. You'll save yourself a lot of money in the long run. Yes, you could spend around $800 and get the 144 kit, then get it ported, etc and probably in the end still want more power. I'm around 190ish and my 125 pulled me around ok, but I had to clutch EVERYTHING. Once again as mine said, unless you're like 160lbs. I'd looke for a 250.

woodsracer144
12-29-2007, 04:58 PM
im like 6'0 6'2 and im 150lbs the last i checked...

mine
12-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
im like 6'0 6'2 and im 150lbs the last i checked...

www.feedthechildren.org

woodsracer144
12-29-2007, 05:36 PM
what is that for? i eat all the time...

mine
12-29-2007, 05:45 PM
what is that for? i eat all the time...

I know i was just kidding, I was gonna say you must be a pretty skinny kid, im 5'11 220 lbs with a little meat. Your height to weight seem alittle wierd. I think your perfect for a 250f. Teh 125 is ment for smaller riders that can throw there body all over the seat.

woodsracer144
12-29-2007, 05:51 PM
most my body weight is mussle... i dont eat too much for chips or fast food. i only have one can a pop a day and i dont have much for sweets but i still eat them here and there... i eat alot off beef and pork and other type of meat that i know what it is...

alot of breads some apples and grapes and im good.

i eat all the the time tho...

i also ride a TON... just about every day.... and with the snow im ridin sled now... i rode way too hard today.. my back is killin me!
but icy hot will do the trick...

mine
12-29-2007, 05:56 PM
most my body weight is mussle... i dont eat too much for chips or fast food. i only have one can a pop a day and i dont have much for sweets but i still eat them here and there... i eat alot off beef and pork and other type of meat that i know what it is...

alot of breads some apples and grapes and im good.

i eat all the the time tho...

i also ride a TON... just about every day.... and with the snow im ridin sled now... i rode way too hard today.. my back is killin me!
but icy hot will do the trick...

Do you know your body fat %

woodsracer144
12-29-2007, 05:57 PM
nope...

KXRida
12-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Yah damn your height to weight ratio is wierd. I'm 5'11ish and roughly 190-200, but I could probably drop a few. I gained the freshman 15 when I started school... honestly.

Blue250X
12-29-2007, 09:09 PM
I am 6'2" or 6'3" and I weigh about 155-160..and I am skinny. Not like eating disorder skinny, but not much of a build to me. I also eat ALOT, any food we have goes down the drain. I think being taller helps me throw the quad around, because I do alot of my riding with my legs. Like when I want to slide I use alot of my legs..which are long. I don't know...maybe I am just imagining this.

woodsracer144
12-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Blue250X
I am 6'2" or 6'3" and I weigh about 155-160..and I am skinny. Not like eating disorder skinny, but not much of a build to me. I also eat ALOT, any food we have goes down the drain. I think being taller helps me throw the quad around, because I do alot of my riding with my legs. Like when I want to slide I use alot of my legs..which are long. I don't know...maybe I am just imagining this.

thats what i do... like goin in to the corner... i'll have it pinned, tap it to keep movein and then slam the rear brakes and then push with my legs around. i use alot of my lower body to push the quad around...

Blue250X
12-30-2007, 12:12 PM
thats what i do... like goin in to the corner... i'll have it pinned, tap it to keep movein and then slam the rear brakes and then push with my legs around. i use alot of my lower body to push the quad around...

Alright:devil: I'm not the only one...I really noticed it in the snow this year. Like out on a patch of cement, spinning tire, I would jsut kind of kick it around with my legs to get a donut going.