PDA

View Full Version : has anybody spun the nut in the gas tank for the front plastics

03warriorrider
12-27-2007, 07:25 PM
i was just tearing down my bike for a little winter rebuild and the damn nut in the tank spun for the front plastics. i still haven't got it out yet but has this happened to anyone. do i have to buy a new tank now or does anyone know of some good glue or something.

TRX450RACER174
12-27-2007, 07:30 PM
I fixed a buddies tank that he spun the nut in, I cut off the bolt and pulled the brass insert out and got the bolt shank out, I got some JB quick weld mixed it up put it in the hole and stuck the insert back in let it sit for a day and was good as new, if you chose to go this route do youself a favor and stick a bolt in the insert before you put it in the tank it will save you a headache when you try to put the new bolt in of having to tap the JB weld out of the insert if it get in the threads.

TURBO-530R
12-27-2007, 07:51 PM
I have done the same thing to fix mine.

03warriorrider
12-27-2007, 08:11 PM
sounds good guys ill give it a try

thanks keith

bloodmoney23
12-27-2007, 08:14 PM
yeah i hate those dang fender mount bolts on tank......GARBAGE. Well anyway, I have a gas tank with a screwed up one like that so i just bought a new one. So if anyone wants a tank that wants to deal with fixing this problem ill sell it for like $15 plus whatever shipping is.

mcleod
12-28-2007, 06:02 AM
nice to heard that im not the only one who have this probleme with the bolt on the tank !

someone should have tighting them to hard before me.

hondacrazy
12-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Had a buddies 2 do the same thing, tried everything. Don't cut the bolt yet!! We took a set of small vise-grips & locked them on the washer (not the brass nut insert, tried that didn't work) & took a wrench & backed the bolt out. try that, it worked for us. I no it didn't make no sence to me either, but it work! tdycus:eek2:

iwannaride^3
12-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by hondacrazy
Had a buddies 2 do the same thing, tried everything. Don't cut the bolt yet!! We took a set of small vise-grips & locked them on the washer (not the brass nut insert, tried that didn't work) & took a wrench & backed the bolt out. try that, it worked for us. I no it didn't make no sence to me either, but it work! tdycus:eek2:

thats what i did too. then jb weld around the insert and your good to go...

motoboy66
12-30-2007, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by hondacrazy

I had to do the same thing. I guess they get too tight and the inset spins. I justed used super glue since it didn't pull the insert out. It has worked ever since, but JB Weld would have worked better I think.

MX MaNiAc 06
01-01-2008, 06:55 PM
I also just had this problem

hendershot106
01-02-2008, 01:43 PM
I TOO HAD THE SAME PROBLEM-- AND MY BEST FRIEND..... his dad used an impact on the lil bolt and it jolted it loose enough to come out from just spinning.....

03warriorrider
01-02-2008, 05:02 PM
well i ended up grinding the head of the bolt off and the thing came right out. i think what happened was someone tightened it to much to the point it spun the nut so when i went to take it out it just spun, then i just put some jb weld around the nut.