PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey looks to curb illegal off-roading

Dale@AGP
12-27-2007, 11:52 AM
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-9/1198733738263940.xml&coll=1&thispage=1

New Jersey looks to curb illegal off-roading
Legislation calls for stiff fines and driver's license suspension
Thursday, December 27, 2007
BY BRIAN T. MURRAY
Star-Ledger Staff

Off-road riders illegally steering their ATVs, snowmobiles and dirt bikes into New Jersey's state parks and wildlife lands may find an unusually bumpy road ahead.

A last-minute drive is under way within the lame-duck Legislature to enforce registration of off-road vehicles, while greatly increasing penalties for those caught riding on public lands. Environmentalists, state officials and other outdoorsmen have long complained of the damage the vehicles cause to biologically sensitive properties.

But off-roading enthusiasts call the bill (A4172), which cleared an Assembly subcommittee last week, a blatant attempt to ban ATVs, snowmobiles and dirt bikes under the guise of regulating them. The law and its Senate companion (S3024) call for automobile driving license suspensions of up to two years for repeat offenders, as well as stiff fines and even permanent forfeiture of the off-road vehicles.

"This bill will do little to enforce the law against the 1 percent of riders breaking the law, but it will go a long way to discourage people from buying off-road vehicles and run dealerships out of business because everyone will be afraid to have one," said Dale Freitas, president of the 300,000-member New Jersey Off-Highway Vehicle Association.

Freitas said his group supports registration but only if the state finally takes steps to develop legal parks.

"Most riders want to obey the law," he said, "but they have no place to ride."

There are no public parks, yet. But the state Department of Environmental Protection has vowed to create three -- sometime soon.

DEP officials have tried to appease both sides in the controversy by cracking down on illegal riding while planning and financing the development of off-road parks. Deputy Commissioner John S. Watson said the environmental damage -- not to mention dangers posed to pedestrians -- by illegal riding in state parks, wildlife lands and even on private property is a serious problem.

"But we also have to create a legal situation for these riders," Watson said. "We do not want them to have to keep looking over their shoulders when they are out for a day with their families."

The DEP already has spent $1.2 million to purchase a 224-acre, former gravel pit in Monroe, Gloucester County, for an off-road park but still is searching for a private vendor interested in developing the facility. It also directed $338,218 in federal trail development funds last month to the nonprofit Atlantic Off-Highway Vehicle Park Inc. to find and develop an off-roading area in Ocean County."From the very beginning, we said we support both initiatives. We will continue to try to get both done," Watson said. "But I don't know that things are going to line up at the same time."

The legislative push seems to be further along.

Even if the bill fails to get to a vote in the Assembly and Senate before session's end on Jan. 8, it will quickly be reintroduced, vowed Assemblyman Reed Gusciora (D-Mercer), the primary Assembly sponsor.

"The testimony on this problem during hearings was very compelling. We've had park rangers and officers hurt trying to stop these ATVs. Open space areas are being destroyed by them, and right now, under the current penalties, the riders do this at no real risk of any punishment," said Gusciora.

The proposed law calls for fines of $250 to $500, with a possible automobile licenses suspension of 30 days for first-time offenders. A six-month suspension of driving privileges and fines of up to $1,000 are proposed for a second offense, and a two-year suspension and fines greater than $1,000 are proposed for a third offense.

Those under the legal driving age of 17 would have their license suspension imposed on the date they become eligible to drive.

The proposed law also calls for restitution payments when land is destroyed, giving judges the ability to fine offenders an amount five times the cost of rehabilitating the property. The vehicles used in the offense also may be impounded by police, and they can be forfeited and sold by the state after a third offense.

"It completely undermines the notion of environmental protection to have these things in state parks, on wildlife management areas and on trails," said Jeff Tittel of the New Jersey chapter of the Sierra Club. "It's the opposite of environmental protection. These things dig ruts in the soil, pollute the air and drip gasoline out of their tailpipes."

But the proposed legislation may do little to address the concerns, according to the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.

In a Dec. 13 letter sent to Sen. Robert Smith (D-Middlesex), the Senate sponsor of the bill, the commission said it has no way to enforce the registration requirements. Unlike car dealerships, businesses selling off-road vehicles are not set up to arrange state registrations.

"Neither the manufacturers nor the distributors of OHVs (off-highway vehicles) are regulated by the MVC," the letter noted.

Since the 1990s, the state has required registration through the MVC of snowmobiles and ATVs used legally on public lands, frozen public waterways and in crossing public highways. But the process is not computerized and dirt bikes have never been registered.

The MVC also noted that, while advocates claim hundreds of thousands of off-road vehicles are in private hands in New Jersey, only about 8,300 ATVs are currently registered, along with 2,400 snowmobiles. The MVC suggested, since the major concern is the environmental impact of the vehicles, that a regulatory framework similar to the issuance of hunting and fishing permits be established within the DEP.

Brian Murray may be reached at bmurray@starledger.com.

12-27-2007, 11:57 AM
that wont stop me from ridding in the woods its not like cops arent dicks now its just gonna get worse

Robin Hood
12-28-2007, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Polak1035
that wont stop me from ridding in the woods its not like cops arent dicks now its just gonna get worse

X2. Until they make those parks, they'll just have to chase me through my town.

bradley300
12-28-2007, 05:48 AM
then dont complain when you get caught and fined out the *****

legal places to ride or not, riding illegal is still illegal. drive to a legal area, move from jersey or sell your quad. its people that think they have the right to ride wherever they want that gets everyone in trouble, gives the whole sport a bad name and gives everyone another reason to hate us

Pappy
12-28-2007, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by bradley300

legal places to ride or not, riding illegal is still illegal. drive to a legal area, move from jersey or sell your quad. its people that think they have the right to ride wherever they want that gets everyone in trouble, gives the whole sport a bad name and gives everyone another reason to hate us

sadly, this is the truth

Robin Hood
12-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Ok fella. What would YOU DO in this situation? Move from Jersey like you said? Leave your family, friends, and schooling behind because your state is a prick when it comes to riding?

12-28-2007, 08:34 AM
i agree, I cant move from NJ and there are no tracks near me for 2 hours. Im not going to stop ridding because of some tree hugers there are tons of woods near my house and I never got into any trouble ridding there but it is a state park so im guessing rangers will show up soon. ANd for the other kid who said move or sell your quad I would like to know what you would do? Would you give up ridding because some hippies wanna save a tree because they think a quad is killing the environment or would you move out of a place where you lived for a long time?

jrspawn
12-28-2007, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by bradley300

Id have to agree with this also.

Robin hood, what would i do if i lived in jersey? I would load up and drive to any of the tracks that are located around the area and surronding states just like all the rest of us all over the country do. Yes some tracks arent that close to home, but its only a drive away. I know of 3 tracks off the top of my head that welcome quads in jersey in season. Your doing better than us here in DE. We have 2 tracks that welcome quads, and 75% of the time over the past year one has been under construction.

I would say if people keep breaking the law and never stop riding in illegal areas, then you will Never get the state to help out the riders and open a tracks. It goes both ways.

Thank you
Justin

Pappy
12-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Robin Hood
Ok fella. What would YOU DO in this situation? Move from Jersey like you said? Leave your family, friends, and schooling behind because your state is a prick when it comes to riding?

umm..thats exactly what I did:p

Robin Hood
12-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
umm..thats exactly what I did:p

Lol didn't mean you Pappy, but it's kinda hard for an 18 year old (who's flat broke because he's paying off his college) to do that.

Pappy
12-28-2007, 09:27 AM
Trust me, I know not everyone can do it...and the question is should we have to relocate when the state allows the sales of the atv and then provides little or no legal riding areas.

bicyclist, skateboarders, golfers, boaters etc etc all get state assitance for legal, public areas.

Robin Hood
12-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by jrspawn
Id have to agree with this also.

Robin hood, what would i do if i lived in jersey? I would load up and drive to any of the tracks that are located around the area and surronding states just like all the rest of us all over the country do. Yes some tracks arent that close to home, but its only a drive away. I know of 3 tracks off the top of my head that welcome quads in jersey in season. Your doing better than us here in DE. We have 2 tracks that welcome quads, and 75% of the time over the past year one has been under construction.

I would say if people keep breaking the law and never stop riding in illegal areas, then you will Never get the state to help out the riders and open a tracks. It goes both ways.

Thank you
Justin

I hear ya. It's just I live in northwest Jersey. The closest tracks are at least 2 hours away and for an 18 year old paying off his college tuition, money gets tight when i'm playing 60$ for gas and 40 for a day at the track. So sometimes I like to just dress lightly, hope on the quad with my buddies and go for a ride locally. We don't hurt anybody, and it's not like we're selling/doing drugs. The trails by us are owned by a quarry so we don't have to worry about state property and all that junk.

300exOH
12-28-2007, 09:37 AM
I live in northern Ohio and the nearest public riding area to me is at least 1.5 hours away...but it isn't the greatest place to ride. You just have to deal with it or give up the sport. If you put the same effort into lobbying for new riding areas that you do riding illegally you would have somewhere to ride. I agree that it is complete BS that they can sell them with nowhere to ride but it doesn't give you the right to ride illegally. You can buy hunting rifles at stores in the city but it doesn't mean you can go hunting in the alleys...get what I'm saying? Personally I don't think a 2 hour drive is all that bad...we have a 3-4 hour drive just to ride any decent trails around here. We do have a couple of tracks around here but they only allow quads on every other sunday after a full moon.:rolleyes: lol Your best bet is to join an atv club and get everyone to lobby for legal riding areas near you.

bradley300
12-29-2007, 10:10 AM

i would find a legal place to ride, or stop riding. moving is an option, but honestly i choose my family over quads, but if i was single, you bet your *** i'd move

the other option is to get written permision from a landowner to ride if there are any that are around and/or willing

12-29-2007, 10:13 AM
im only 16 i dont have that choice to move away and i dont really see this bill as a threat its always been illegal to ride around in these places now its just going to get more strict, wont stop me from going in the woods.

bradley300
12-29-2007, 10:16 AM
We don't hurt anybody, and it's not like we're selling/doing drugs. The trails by us are owned by a quarry so we don't have to worry about state property and all that junk.

just because your not doing something worse, tat doesnt make riding illegally OK. and a private property owner can sue you just as quick as the government, so your still on thin ice.

all i am saying is like it or not, illegal is illegal regardless of the situation, so when you get caught, dont come on here to whine about how unfair it is. you know the rules, stick to them