PDA

View Full Version : Magura Clutch questions!!

Chin_Chilla
12-27-2007, 09:52 AM
I recently purchased a Magura Hydaulic clutch and now I have some questions before I attempt to install this.

First off is the oil. On the oil reserviour on the clutch it says 'Use Only Mineral Oil'. I don't have the time to wait for Magura to send me some oil as I'm going on a dune trip this weekend so can I use anyother kind of oil?

Second, how would I go about installing this? Would I fill it up with oil before I install it or after? I also heard I had to bleed it upon install? When would I know to bleed it after I install it?

Any information would be very helpful.

Here is a picture...

JOEX
12-27-2007, 04:20 PM
It should be ready to go as is...

Aceman
12-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Mineral oil can be picked up at a pharmacy, I got mine at Rite Aid.

Magura sells a bleed kit for these things. I bled mine without it, I've never used their bleed kit actually, but it's a serious pain in the a**. I clamped my master to the handlebars(the slave was not bolted to the quad at this point), took the end cap off the slave, pushed the piston out and filled it with mineral oil. Reassembled it, filled the master, and then started pumping the lever back and forth while lifting the slave up and down to work the bubbles back towards the master. It took all of an hour probably but I didn't have time to wait for a bleed kit either. Bubbles will come back through the master only when the lever is released.

They really need to design these slaves with a bleed screw like a brake caliper so it can be bled the conventional way. Having to buy an $18 kit to bleed your already overpriced clutch is BS. Not to mention the fact when your slave seal wears out, Magura will only sell you a whole new slave for $60-70. I'm going to check out my local hydraulic shop for replacement seals. There has to be a cheaper alternative.

Chin_Chilla
12-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
It should be ready to go as is... Bought it used, and the res. has no oil so that is probably out of the question.

Chin_Chilla
12-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
Mineral oil can be picked up at a pharmacy, I got mine at Rite Aid.

Magura sells a bleed kit for these things. I bled mine without it, I've never used their bleed kit actually, but it's a serious pain in the a**. I clamped my master to the handlebars(the slave was not bolted to the quad at this point), took the end cap off the slave, pushed the piston out and filled it with mineral oil. Reassembled it, filled the master, and then started pumping the lever back and forth while lifting the slave up and down to work the bubbles back towards the master. It took all of an hour probably but I didn't have time to wait for a bleed kit either. Bubbles will come back through the master only when the lever is released.

They really need to design these slaves with a bleed screw like a brake caliper so it can be bled the conventional way. Having to buy an $18 kit to bleed your already overpriced clutch is BS. Not to mention the fact when your slave seal wears out, Magura will only sell you a whole new slave for $60-70. I'm going to check out my local hydraulic shop for replacement seals. There has to be a cheaper alternative. I have a bleed kit and don't have a clue as to how to use it. So is it OK to have bubbles in the master? Or do the bubbles somehow escape from the master? Im not understanding this!