PDA

View Full Version : a question

Ogener
12-26-2007, 09:47 PM
a friend of mine has and 04 or 05 TLD predator he wants to sell me for a pretty good price. It has nerfs, HMF pipe and K&N intake. He blew the motor up due to a droped valve and had it redone. when it was rebuild they put different jets in it so that it wouldnt over rev and blow the engine easily during the break in period. since then the stock jets have been put in to help it run better. I've ridden it with the stock jets and wasnt really that impressed with the power. If I rejeted it to proper specs with the pipe and intake would it waken it up abunch? Is it worth buying for the right price and working on it to give it more pep? also I'm used to riding a piped and jetted warrior 350.

Evasiveone
12-26-2007, 10:01 PM
I really do not understand the "jetted so it would not over-rev" part. There is only one way a bike should be jetted and that is not too lean and not too rich :). As far as power from a Predator to a Warrior 350, they are not even close. My daughter has a jetted/filter/hmf Raptor 350 and my wifes stock Predator absolutely destroys it everywhere. If the power of his Predator is not SUBSTANTIALLY better than your 350 Warrior, I would really think twice about buying it, because I think it has more problems than he is leading on.

Ogener
12-28-2007, 12:06 AM
I'm not sure either. According to the guy they put jets in it that prevent it from overrevving. I'm going to ride it again when it warms up and see if it has more power in it than I remember.

Ogener
12-28-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm also curious as to what kind of rev limiters can be placed on the predator?

Ogener
12-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Also how do the predators preform normally compared to a 450r? I'm not going to be racing just alot of playing around and trail riding. I've ridden a 450r and was really impressed with the power and handling. The pred I'm looking at is cheaper and In overall better condition than the 450 that I'm looking at. But if the 450 is alot better overall I'm gonna go with it over the pred.

Evasiveone
12-30-2007, 05:49 PM
In a drag race they are very close. Of course your Honda guys will say the 450R is faster and the Predator guys will say the Predator is faster. It usually comes down to the better rider or who got the jump first. If the Predator is an '05 model it will have reverse. The Predator is 48" wide so it is really stable and the Fox suspension on the Predator is hard to match.

Ogener
12-30-2007, 06:21 PM
ok thanks

chris hallett
12-30-2007, 07:01 PM
where in Iowa are you at??

Ogener
12-31-2007, 03:59 PM
waterloo/cedar falls area

chris hallett
12-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Not to far away i am in Independence,Does it have reverse if so it is an 05 if not its an 04

Ogener
12-31-2007, 05:56 PM
No reverse, so 04, do you ever ride at the mitchel sand pits, or I think its sometimes called the riverveiw recreation park? Its in waterloo.

chris hallett
12-31-2007, 07:51 PM
Yea I ride there alot

Ogener
01-01-2008, 12:28 PM
cool we might have to meet up there sometime this summer.

roscoe
01-04-2008, 05:25 PM
One difference is that Predators don't have as much grunt / torque as the Honda 450's so it might feel slower if you are used to riding a Warrior or Honda. Wind it up and hang on if you have not tried that :)

And yeah if it was rebuilt by someone that limits engine rev's with jets, that makes you wonder... Different jets could make it not run as HOT, maybe that is what they meant.

Cheers from a Predator owner
-Roscoe

LEOGM5150
01-04-2008, 07:00 PM
if the guy told it has been jetted it to keep it from over reving they either don't know what they are talking about or are feeding you a line of bull. the predator even bone stock should eat the 350 warrior fully built for breakfast. a correctly jetted predator with a pipe and clamp on filter will be very competitive with any 450 out there with equal mods and riders. stock for stock the predator will beat most 450's. the yfz will be tought to beat though. here is my advice on predator jetting. have your friend buy a dynojet jet kit or fmf jet kit (they both have the same kind of jets and needles) and help him rejet it for the pipe and filter. if it is not able to absolutely kill the 350 warrior then they did a pour job building it.

AFTER JETTING DIFFERENT PREDATORS MANY TIMES WITH A PIPE AND CLAMP ON FILTER I HAVE COME UP WITH THIS FOR GREAT JETTING. 175 MAIN JET, CLIP ON THE 4TH NOTCH FROM THE TOP OF THE NEEDLE, 3 TURNS OUT ON THE AIR FUEL SCREW, 45 PILOT JET AND YES DYNO JET NEEDLES AND JETS MAKE MORE POWER

plus i have owned 2 predators and i happen to like the way they look alot.

LEOGM5150
01-04-2008, 07:01 PM
predator number 2

Ogener
01-05-2008, 08:20 PM
thanks LEOGM5150 I planned on riding it good first and seeing if it preforms well before i bought. If it lacks power I was gonna have him get it jeted proporly first and then c if it runs stronger.