PDA

View Full Version : How to get factory pc off...

ZeroLogic
12-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Well I want to strip my frame bare for painting. How can I get it off. I don't have the money to send it away or buy a sand blaster. So what are some ways I can get it off? I tried paint stripper gooy stuff. It didn't work all to well. My dad said its because its too cold. Any ideas? I was thinking about picking up a wire brush grinder thing for my angle grinder. Would that work? Any cheap ideas? I'm quite low on $$ too.

derekhonda
12-26-2007, 08:58 PM
i bought the "aircraft" paint stripper stuff at autozone, worked wonders. Take the frame inside over night and see if letting it heat up a little works.

Pappy
12-26-2007, 09:01 PM
thats factory paint, not pc

and derek is on target with the paint stripper IF you want it to bare metal. if your going to spray can it, just sand it

ZeroLogic
12-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Its a lot of sanding especially for having no sanders.:p Do you have to be 21 or whatever to buy the paint stripper in PA, like spray paint? The factory paint has a lot of knicks and crap on it also. Wouldn't the primer on bare metal be stronger than on the factory paint?

mineralgrey01gt
12-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
i bought the "aircraft" paint stripper stuff at autozone, worked wonders. Take the frame inside over night and see if letting it heat up a little works.

ive used this same stuff before, it does truely work wonders

Pappy
12-26-2007, 09:18 PM
shouldnt be but with all the Meth crap it could have an age restriction

bare metal is usually best, but its doubtful you will get off the paint in the corners with out some form of media blasting.

and your dad is correct about the temp...70 degrees will make it work much better

ZeroLogic
12-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
shouldnt be but with all the Meth crap it could have an age restriction

bare metal is usually best, but its doubtful you will get off the paint in the corners with out some form of media blasting.

and your dad is correct about the temp...70 degrees will make it work much better

Yea my father suggested the paint stripper and I came in 20 minutes later and I was like its not working. Hes like I know its too cold.:scary:

I'm not to worried about the conors and what not, just lookin to get most of it off and sand the rest off. Thanks Pappy!

Ruby Soho
12-27-2007, 08:44 AM
yeah Aircraft stripper works great. we did my frame recently (finished up yesterday) and my friends frame with it.

we didnt get the corners where welds and crap are so the guy is gonna sandblast the small parts that we missed and then PC it

tman12345
12-27-2007, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Its a lot of sanding especially for having no sanders.:p Do you have to be 21 or whatever to buy the paint stripper in PA, like spray paint? The factory paint has a lot of knicks and crap on it also. Wouldn't the primer on bare metal be stronger than on the factory paint?
you could probably buy it at a local hardware type store without any hassle but alot of large corporation stores like wal mart you will have to be a certain age.

naw0029
12-27-2007, 09:15 AM
If I were you I would start looking for a local sand blaster in your area. I would say your going to spend around 100-150 but that way you know its done right and done right the first time.

Just my .02

ZeroLogic
12-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by naw0029
If I were you I would start looking for a local sand blaster in your area. I would say your going to spend around 100-150 but that way you know its done right and done right the first time.

Just my .02

Pappy charges 150 bucks to PC my frame. I don't have the money though. I am a senior in highschool working two jobs, 6 days a week with 35 dollars in my wallet. Go figure.:p

Pappy
12-27-2007, 10:32 AM
if its a bike frame, and depending on the color, it canbe done for much less