PDA

View Full Version : Little confused

gncc025
12-26-2007, 08:24 PM
i just got a new battery for my 400 because the other one had it. a few days later i go to crank it and the solenoid is bad. so i go get a brand new solenoid and put it on.

so now i have a brand new battery and solenoid, but the son of a gun still doenst want to crank after it sits 3 or 4 days. when i do get it running and ride it around some it will charge up and crank fine but if it sits any longer than a few days its almost dead again. did i just get a dud battery or what? thing i dont get is it charges :confused:

CarGuy7a
12-26-2007, 08:49 PM
might be a goofy question but do you leave it set with the key in it? if so are you accidently leaving your key in the on position? it sounds like something keeps drawing power from your battery. if it's not that, next time you go to start it and it doesn't start meter the battery and see how many volts is there.

it could be a number of things, could be a problem in the charging system not charging the battery enough. stator going bad?

gncc025
12-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
might be a goofy question but do you leave it set with the key in it? if so are you accidently leaving your key in the on position? it sounds like something keeps drawing power from your battery.

hehe nah ive made sure everything was off before i leave it. headlights and all

as for the stator, it didnt even cross my mind. its still odd that it seems to charge all the way up after i ride it, then after letting it sit a few days its almost dead again because the sator isnt suppose to charge while its off

CarGuy7a
12-27-2007, 06:41 PM
your right about the stator not charging when it's not running.

the reason i was saying maybe your stator is going bad is maybe it's just charging your battery enough to start it when your riding and shut it off and then fire it right back up within like an hour or so.

maybe it's not putting out the full charge it should be.

jstalnaker
12-27-2007, 06:50 PM
did you check all of your wire's to make sure that you dont have a short any where or all of your connectore are making good contact. just a thought

gncc025
12-28-2007, 01:02 AM
found out today its the stator.

thanks for the ideas