PDA

View Full Version : Picking up used 450r tomorrow, please tell me what to check!

MikeSC
12-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Well I'm very excited - bought an 06 450er from a guy on Ebay and will be picking it up tomorrow.

I think I got a pretty good deal as long as it runs as good as it looks, but I am very skeptical when it comes to buying used, so I'm pretty nervous, especially after reading how high maintenance these 450s are.

I know there's really no way to know if the guy has changed the oil every 10 hours or checked this or that every 15, but could someone please give me the low down on what I need to check?

Also, should I attempt to find a mechanic nearby who could possibly take a quick look, or am I worrying too much?

BTW, here is the auction:

*removed

Thanks so much!

MikeSC
12-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Also, I did of course talk to the guy on the phone.

He is very knowledgeable, and didn't really agree that one HAD to go by the rigorous maintenance schedule in the manual, although he said he never rode it hard.

He was also the second owner and said he thinks the first guy rode it a lot on pavement, based on the wear of the tires vs. the cleanness of the bike.

Don't know if that would help to tell what I should look for....man I'm paranoid.

BlaineKaiser450
12-26-2007, 07:30 PM
dont worry too much. check the frame obove the motor for cracks or chipping paint and run it thru the gears up the street.

04exking
12-26-2007, 07:32 PM
From looking at the auction it looks like you got a really good deal! I would check things like if it smokes, where the oil level is at right now. I would also check the underbelly of the quad for scratches and or cracks. You can usually tell if a quad has been abused by looking at the underbelly. And make sure that there is water in the radiator and make sure the air filter is pretty clean. These are all precautions and I wouldn't worry about taking it to the mechanic.

Dave400ex
12-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Judging by the sides of the frame and the clutch cover it must not have been rode hard/much at all. My clutch cover had a lot of the color gone after one ride. The most important thing would be to ride it and make sure the engine seems ok. If it was rode on the road just make sure it runs good. Other then that maybe check like the rear axle to see if bearings are tight and brake pads.

MikeSC
12-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Wow, you guys are fast!

Ok, so the main thing is I just need to take it through the gears and make sure it runs ok, and also check the frame and underbelly.

Is it hard on the bike to ride them on the road?

Also, what's the best way to check the bearings? I've never done it.

And...is it a big deal if there is no title?

Anything else?

Thanks!

bloodmoney23
12-26-2007, 10:20 PM
you shouldnt have to worry too much. if anything after you get it have the valve clearance and timing checked which is very easy. Other than that you should be good other than the other checks mentioned above.

quadwanter
12-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by 04exking
From looking at the auction it looks like you got a really good deal! I would check things like if it smokes, where the oil level is at right now. I would also check the underbelly of the quad for scratches and or cracks. You can usually tell if a quad has been abused by looking at the underbelly. And make sure that there is water in the radiator and make sure the air filter is pretty clean. These are all precautions and I wouldn't worry about taking it to the mechanic.

good advice...also if you can....try and check the oil filter, make sure there is no metal. Thats a good sign your good with the bearings.

mymastifftucker
12-27-2007, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by MikeSC
Wow, you guys are fast!

Ok, so the main thing is I just need to take it through the gears and make sure it runs ok, and also check the frame and underbelly.

Is it hard on the bike to ride them on the road?

Also, what's the best way to check the bearings? I've never done it.

And...is it a big deal if there is no title?

Anything else?

Thanks!
to check the axle bearings you need to set the rear of the bike up on a stand (under the swingarm skid plate) and try to move the axle back and forth. You will feel it and hear it if they are bad. But this is also normal maintanence on a bike. I dont know where you got the idea that these are high maintenance bikes........if you take care of it, they dont need much!! Change the oil, keep the valves adjusted and keep the air filter clean. I havent had one problem with any of mine (knock on wood). Also remember brakes and axle bearings are cheap to replace, so dont walk away from a good deal because of little stuff!! Good Luck

wykyd450R
12-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Did ya get it?? :)