PDA

View Full Version : 400ex - no juice!

mbx5
12-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Just rebuilt a 2001 400ex. Before disassembling, electrical was fine. Now after a complete frame-up rebuild me gots no power....?? Fuses are both new (one is a spare right?). No neutral light, no lights, nada... Powdercoat was ground away from frame at the ground lug...so Im assuming ground is good.

Any suggestions? Also - I checked wires for bad connections, etc. Only thing I havent done yet is gone an put contact cleaner on all connection points.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Oh - forgot to mention the battery is good.

JOEX
12-26-2007, 08:36 PM
There may not be a good enough contact from the frame and subframe.

mbx5
12-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Joex- I think that is the problem.... I took a jumper cable and went from the battery negative to the foot peg bolt - but here is what happened - the engine started turning over like I was trying to start it....

Any suggestions?

97WarriorRider
12-27-2007, 09:09 AM
Possibly your soleniod

JOEX
12-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by mbx5
Joex- I think that is the problem.... I took a jumper cable and went from the battery negative to the foot peg bolt - but here is what happened - the engine started turning over like I was trying to start it....

Any suggestions?
The motor started turning over when you made the jumper contact? Something's not wired correctly... i'm sure you figured that much already :p

I'm not much help beyond that.... Review all your connections....

mbx5
12-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the help guys...I figured it out. I had the starter wired to the positive lead of the battery rather than the solenoid....DERRRRR...I feel pretty stupid about that.

Also - I followed the suggestion about the subframe mounting to the frame - I sanded the powdercoating off at the mounts w/ a Dremel... Works fine now!!