PDA

View Full Version : cant get headlights to work!

bad_shee05
12-26-2007, 06:21 PM
hi all, i just bought an 05 400ex and im having trouble with the headlights. They just wont come on at all, no high or low. i checked all wiring and i couldnt find anything, i put 2 brand new bulbs in and i still dont have anything. When i turn them on the rear tail light comes on so i think the switch is ok. Is there any fuse or anything that might be blown to keep my headlights off? Thanks alot!

glamiskid395
12-26-2007, 06:34 PM
theres a blue 15 amp. fuse close to battery area that could be blown but if that was blown the tail light wouldnt work either.
check anyways.

otherwise i have no clue.

JOEX
12-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by glamiskid395
theres a blue 15 amp. fuse close to battery area that could be blown but if that was blown the tail light wouldnt work either.
check anyways.

otherwise i have no clue.
If the fuse is blown nothing will work... The quad wont even start.

Ntensweapon
12-26-2007, 09:22 PM
take the switch apart and clean it with some electronics cleaner and compressed air. move the toggles back and forth while doing this.

Honda4lyphe
12-27-2007, 12:05 AM
Same thing happend to me.

Heres all the stuff i did, my problem was that i did some work on my 400ex with the front fenders leaning over the front and when i put it back together it blew about 7 different fuses, finally i realized i had a problem.

1. Start from the headlights, to the battery. On each individual wire grab it lightly with your thumb and index finger and run your fingers accross all the wires. This will tell you if you got a tangled wire.

2. Use a little force on every plugin for your lights, push them in hard.

3. Hit the front headlight on the outside, and the inside.

4. Might just need to change your bulb, some condensation may of happend in there causing liquid to hit those vital parts.

5. Take your light apart, wipe the entire thing down with a SLIGHTLY damp cloth and then go back over it with a dry one even if its not wet. This will clean dust and anything else that may of seeped in there, even if it looks clean, if nothing works at all atleast try it.

6. If you have a fuse laying around go ahead and try it. I dont know much about fuses but sometimes when they arent even burned out they may be a little damp or they got some coorosion on them. If you dont have one, get some steel wool if you have any and touch up the ends.

This is everything you could do from my experience, you may have a bad connection so you need to go ahead and get a connection tester and turn the key on and touch every spot around the headlight to the wires for it on the battery. Also some wires could be tangled with eachother causing a closed circuit, just untangle those wires if they arent meant to be. Some people ask how the hell did that happen if it is the tangled wires, you'd be surprised.

Goodluck!

EDIT: Oh heres a tip if you need to know, the fuse box is located infront of your battery in a cream colord case about 1-1.5 inches long (on the 99-04 anyways) it can be a pain to get it open. I think that there is an extra fuse in there though, i cant remember.

bad_shee05
12-27-2007, 02:30 PM
I replaced both bulbs and i checked with a volt meter to see if i was getting any power to the bulbs and in doing this or something i blew that 15 amp fuse by the battery and it wouldnt even start like said so i replaced it and it started but still no head lights. i followed the wires as far as i could back without taking off plastic and i couldnt see anythign wrong or tangled. Im not really sure what to try next. is there another fuse anywere? or a relay or anything? thanks!

Honda4lyphe
12-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by bad_shee05
I replaced both bulbs and i checked with a volt meter to see if i was getting any power to the bulbs and in doing this or something i blew that 15 amp fuse by the battery and it wouldnt even start like said so i replaced it and it started but still no head lights. i followed the wires as far as i could back without taking off plastic and i couldnt see anythign wrong or tangled. Im not really sure what to try next. is there another fuse anywere? or a relay or anything? thanks!

There are no other fuses, to me it just sounds like there is a wire somewhere that is leaning too hard on somthing if the fuse blew out, does the fuse blow out everytime you turn on the headlights?