PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have this problem?

Jcrew2
12-26-2007, 05:01 PM
I went to ride a few weeks ago, the temperature was under freezing and my clutch cable was frozen, after a while I got it worked loose but for some reason I could not start the machine, it was like the clutch was not engaging and the machine still thought it was in gear, I pull started it and it was fine.

Problem is now every other time I go to ride now it does this and I have to pull start it and then it is fine.

Has anyone had this problem?

TRX_450
12-26-2007, 06:35 PM
try it in neutral...if it works then its ur neutral saftey switch

Jcrew2
12-26-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks, that was the thing, I could get it to shift into nuetral but it would not start, it would just turn over, then when I pulled started it it started right away, when it died it was doing the same thing so I pulled it agian, this time when I got it going I shifted gears a few times, then when it died I was able to start it.

Would the nuetral saftey switch cause it to think it is in gear and not allow it to start?

CarGuy7a
12-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Jcrew2
Thanks, that was the thing, I could get it to shift into nuetral but it would not start, it would just turn over, then when I pulled started it it started right away, when it died it was doing the same thing so I pulled it agian, this time when I got it going I shifted gears a few times, then when it died I was able to start it.

Would the nuetral saftey switch cause it to think it is in gear and not allow it to start?

yeah it would make it think it's in gear. what the switch does (the one with the wires by the shifter) is tell the ignition when the transmission is in nuetral and will let the engine start without pulling the clutch in.

the switch on the clutch lever overrides the nuetral starting switch when the quad is in gear allowing you to start the engine when you pull the clutch in.

sometimes the wires by the shifter will get loose causing the problems you had happen. if it's not that then your nuetral starting switch may be going bad.

JOEX
12-26-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't think it'll turn over if the neutral switch isn't working.

I'm guessing the cold weather is weakened the battery.

Jcrew2
12-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
yeah it would make it think it's in gear. what the switch does (the one with the wires by the shifter) is tell the ignition when the transmission is in nuetral and will let the engine start without pulling the clutch in.

the switch on the clutch lever overrides the nuetral starting switch when the quad is in gear allowing you to start the engine when you pull the clutch in.

sometimes the wires by the shifter will get loose causing the problems you had happen. if it's not that then your nuetral starting switch may be going bad.

Thanks I will give those a try!!