PDA

View Full Version : Is this 4-trax suspension worth it ?

Fordtrax
12-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Alright guys I went and checked out a new cycle shop in town and found out one of my old riding buddies runs the place.
When i told him i just recently purchased a 88 250r he told me he had a complete suspension just collecting dust thats used but like brand new for 1200 bux.
So i said lets see it!
First off let me say i know nothing about this aftermarket stuff and whats works and what dont. But when he brought it out i was in shock and awe!!
Cool lookin pieces of hardware ill say!
But here is what it is,

Chrome Lonestar+2 upper and lower a- arms ( he called them DC4s?)

Stock spindles with Lonestar hubs and wave rotors
OEM brake calipers with steel braided brake lines.

Axxis front and back shocks that are supposedly fresh rebuilt and ready to go!(you can tell just by lookin at them )

He said the only thing ill need is longer tie rods.

Does this sound like a fair price?
I mean the stuff is really cool looking but i dont neccesarily need it cause im pretty much a trail rider but it would definately add some bling to my bike!lol

Tell me what you think? thanx......Marc

danhung11
12-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Are the shocks fully adjustable? Std Travel...or Long Travel. Std should measure about 16.5" e2e and long travel about another 3 inches.

I think the DC-4's are plus 3 LT.... I think....anyone?

What year spindles?

Seems like a heck of a price for all these goods. From you expression of in shock and awe... I would buy them! Will make that R handle even better.

Just my $.02, but then again.... I am a spontaneous buyer!

:devil:

Fordtrax
12-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Dan, I dont know if it was adjustable or not? But I do remember him tellin me they were long travel.

As far as what year spindles im just gonna assume they are 86/87 because while i didint inspect the spindles I did look the brake calipers over and they were the gun metal grey in color 86/87? and not black like the 88/89s.

While im at it i might as well ask this question too!

The guy told me he would sell me everything but the shocks for 400 bux!
Is that a good deal ? and will them a-arms work with my stock shocks? He didint know if they would or not?

I hear ya dan im a spontaneous buyer too! Luckily x-mas was this week and i dont have quite the buying power i usually have or id be asking these questions with them sittin in my lap right now!!lol

The guy said they were +2s and said they would make my front end 2 inches wider. I hope they are not +3s! Thanx for your input Dan!

danhung11
12-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Fordtrax
Dan, I dont know if it was adjustable or not? But I do remember him tellin me they were long travel.

As far as what year spindles im just gonna assume they are 86/87 because while i didint inspect the spindles I did look the brake calipers over and they were the gun metal grey in color 86/87? and not black like the 88/89s.

While im at it i might as well ask this question too!

The guy told me he would sell me everything but the shocks for 400 bux!
Is that a good deal ? and will them a-arms work with my stock shocks? He didint know if they would or not?

I hear ya dan im a spontaneous buyer too! Luckily x-mas was this week and i dont have quite the buying power i usually have or id be asking these questions with them sittin in my lap right now!!lol

The guy said they were +2s and said they would make my front end 2 inches wider. I hope they are not +3s! Thanx for your input Dan!

I do not know if LSR's makes those DC4's in plus 2, not positive - but I do not think so. You would have to buy new shocks...might as well go with the entire set up.

That is an insane deal. I think the arms go for close to $900 new. The shocks another $1400 new or more. LSR Hubs are like $300 new.

Bottom line... if you have money, use your buy it now. At the same time, use your guy instinct.

Good luck with the purchase!

cdrookie
12-26-2007, 04:17 PM
it's a great price but +2 arms will make your front end 4" wider. also if the shocks aren't set up for your riding style/weight the ride will be compromised. although, if you still have stock suspension, ANYTHING will be an improvement.

my88r
12-26-2007, 04:40 PM
if you do go with that setup. make sure you keep all the stock stuff. years down the road your R will be worth alot. as its one of the nicest stock rs ive seen.:eek2:

Mean250r
12-26-2007, 05:02 PM
if u do go with it, ur prob gunna wanna invest in a +4 axle. so your front sits as wide as the rear. That sounds like a hell of a deal! im prtty sure that they only make DC4 in Longtravel. which would be an even better deal!

250Renvy
12-26-2007, 05:03 PM
That sounds like a good deal.

Unless you right extremely tight trails +2 really isn't that much wider since the rear end is around 46" wide and the front is 42" stock.

I ran +2 on my front and stock axle in the rear on my tight trails and only in a few spots had to manuevre carefully.

Fordtrax
12-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Wow! i leave this site for a few and look at the replies?lol

I guess im gonna have to snag this stuff up huh?lol

I told my Old riding buddy about finding this cool forum and he said all of you will think its a deal just because of the axis shocks!
But eitherway im gonna snag this stuff up ! thanx guys!!

stocktires
12-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Thats an easy $2800 in parts new. I'd be all over it.
The shocks are worth $1800 new probably. I love my Axis.
Just make sure the shocks are set up for you weight.