PDA

View Full Version : ---> Should I get my frame PowderCoated?

Brauap
12-26-2007, 06:26 AM
I want my frame PC'd stealth black, and I want talking with my cousin about it, and he said that I would have to do something with all of the bolts because they wouldnt fit. Well, I dont mind that.. I'll figure something out then.. but I was wondering.. Should I? I want my quad to look nice, and I hate the stock gray/blue. I a-arms are a lil rusty and.. Jezz.. should I or shouldn't I? Explain, please.

Thanks,
Braaup

440challenger
12-26-2007, 06:58 AM
Yea man why not?
Your buddy is probably saying all the bolt holes will need to have the threads chased afterwards becuase of the powder getting in the threads,the bolts might go in hard and cross thread. Thats the least of your worrys.

If you have the money do it, but i assure you it will snowball fast. The frame i believe is about $180, then add shipping if your not getting it done locally. After you rip it down ,i gaurentee you will need some bearings replaced,especially the lower steering stem bearing if they are going to bake the frame . Small parts you'll need some cleaning supplys/paint, add extra money for other items you wanted powder coated also.

I dont know what your quad looks like now, but if its crappy out and your not ridding it anyway,what better way to learn and clean up your quad then taking it down with a few buddys.

If you, or you know soemone who paints cars etc, you can do it a bit cheaper and spray it BCC, but its very labor intensive getting the frame prepped and the materials alone will add up quickly. I had the paint materials laying around and knowledge to do it myself so it was a no brainer to paint it. But if i didnt, i couldnt be bothered again, i would ship it out for the $200 to be powder coated and be done

:D

lawdog800
12-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Yes, do the Powder Coat.. BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tip #1: TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES

We stripped our snowmobiles down last summer and powdered the raw aluminum chassis of both, and the rear suspensions. Yes you need to chase any threaded holes and maybe run a drill thru other holes to re-clearance them, but way easier that spray painting it.

The pictures you should take from many different angles and close ups as you dis-assemble because when it is time to put back together and you wonder which way that wiring ran, or which way did that go, refer to the pics...We also labeled parts and bolts in plastic baggies to their location.. IE: Body bolts, engine mounting, suspension front and rear ect.

Myrkk
12-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Lawdog,

good tip on pictures and labels. I am considering of taking my 400ex apart and get the frame painted. But I am afraid I wont be able to put it back together =/

Hondamaster5505
12-26-2007, 08:09 PM
You cant powdercoat stock arms

Ruby Soho
12-26-2007, 08:11 PM
pictures, bags, labels and a manual will help you put it together again

mine is completely stripped right now. i have no doubts in it going together

Pappy
12-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Ummm.....should I even vote:devil:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2112/2139427792_dc3ec10590_o.jpg

fastredrider44
12-26-2007, 09:25 PM
HondaMaster5505, you can powdercoat stock a-arms. It takes patience, something many people who get on here dont possess.

Hondamaster5505
12-26-2007, 10:02 PM
someone told me you cant because the ball joints arent removable?? :confused:

Buti see they were wrong, now i can do my color scheme once i tear down my bike.

Im doing a stealth black frame/subframe, stealth black bottom arms, and gloss red top arms

12-26-2007, 10:08 PM
if you have the cash to do it i say go for it. once i get a stabilizer and suspension then next on my list is a-arms and powdercoat. The frame and such a different color can make a quad so much better. Whats the prices everyone is getting from people around thm? I was told like $300... my friend knew the guys and got his for $150. But $300 isnt that bad i dont think

JOEX
12-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
HondaMaster5505, you can powdercoat stock a-arms. It takes patience, something many people who get on here dont possess.
How do you cure the PC on stock a-arms?

Hondamaster5505
12-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Im getting mine powder coated for almost free:p

We have connections:cool:

j450rking
12-26-2007, 11:07 PM
pappy did my frame stealth black and i think that was like $190 for the frame and sub frame and it's a great job it has held even after i hit it with wrenchs and hammers

Flip_SideEX
12-27-2007, 01:24 AM
Its well worth the money. It adds alot of appeal to make it noticeable and stick out from the others. I didnt take pictures of mine, but i made sure to put similar bolts in baggies. It really isnt that bad to put everything back on, wiring and such. I didnt block any of my bolt holes before i sent it in, but i didnt have any problems really, just do it as a safe precaution. If i remember correctly, mine cost roughly 250 which included frame, subframe, swingarm, motor mounts and oil cooler. Good luck.

fastredrider44
12-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
How do you cure the PC on stock a-arms?

You cure the powdercoat in the oven like normal, but the trick is your prep of your ball joints before toasting them. You just take off the ball joint boot, and clean as much grease out of the ball joints as possible. Taking the a-arm bushings out and cleaning all the grease out of the arm is the other part. Any grease left in or on the arm, even if it doesn't get powdercoated, will heat up and run into the powdercoat and ruin it. Once the a-arms are cooled, you have to dig the hardened grease out of the ball joints. Then, re-grease everything, put extra grease in the a-arm boot, and enjoy. I've had my arms done for over a year now and they're just now wearing out. I think it was time for them to anyway, and am not convinced that the powdercoating shortened the life of my ball joints whatsoever.

Pappy
12-27-2007, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
You cure the powdercoat in the oven like normal, but the trick is your prep of your ball joints before toasting them. You just take off the ball joint boot, and clean as much grease out of the ball joints as possible. Taking the a-arm bushings out and cleaning all the grease out of the arm is the other part. Any grease left in or on the arm, even if it doesn't get powdercoated, will heat up and run into the powdercoat and ruin it. Once the a-arms are cooled, you have to dig the hardened grease out of the ball joints. Then, re-grease everything, put extra grease in the a-arm boot, and enjoy. I've had my arms done for over a year now and they're just now wearing out. I think it was time for them to anyway, and am not convinced that the powdercoating shortened the life of my ball joints whatsoever.

beyond the grease and oil being removed and baked, if the arms are taken to full cure temp for a full cure cycle, the nylon cusion behind the ball joint will become brittle. for someone doing it for themselves, thats your risk. for a company facing liability, it is NOT worth the risk.

coryatver
12-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Yes do it. Powercoat is awesome stuff. Don't worry about the holes they usually plug them so they don't get to much in it. If you have it tore down might as well get a gusset kit too.

There is a video on atv scene of the whole process in quad builder episode 2. If this website wasn't so communist i could give you the link

Pappy
12-27-2007, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by coryatver

If this website wasn't so communist i could give you the link

you do know that that site was responsible for deleting anything to do with this site LONG before we decided to not allow links to them...or is the truth to communist for you...*******

Hondamaster5505
12-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
you do know that that site was responsible for deleting anything to do with this site LONG before we decided to not allow links to them...or is the truth to communist for you...*******

go Pappy!

lol.

j450rking
12-27-2007, 09:54 AM
lol thats awsome! you can have alot of things powder coated. brake calipers motor mounts and spindles and engine side cases are pretty nice to do. you can do preaty much anything metal.

fastredrider44
12-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
beyond the grease and oil being removed and baked, if the arms are taken to full cure temp for a full cure cycle, the nylon cusion behind the ball joint will become brittle. for someone doing it for themselves, thats your risk. for a company facing liability, it is NOT worth the risk.

Well, I race harescrambles and ride in the woods. Needless to say, the bottoms of my a arms were ugly. It was worth the risk and turned out fine. My buddy has his stock a arms done on his kfx done too. Removable ball joints... His were a snap.

Brauap
12-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by 440challenger
Yea man why not?
Your buddy is probably saying all the bolt holes will need to have the threads chased afterwards becuase of the powder getting in the threads,the bolts might go in hard and cross thread. Thats the least of your worrys.

If you have the money do it, but i assure you it will snowball fast. The frame i believe is about $180, then add shipping if your not getting it done locally. After you rip it down ,i gaurentee you will need some bearings replaced,especially the lower steering stem bearing if they are going to bake the frame . Small parts you'll need some cleaning supplys/paint, add extra money for other items you wanted powder coated also.

I dont know what your quad looks like now, but if its crappy out and your not ridding it anyway,what better way to learn and clean up your quad then taking it down with a few buddys.

If you, or you know soemone who paints cars etc, you can do it a bit cheaper and spray it BCC, but its very labor intensive getting the frame prepped and the materials alone will add up quickly. I had the paint materials laying around and knowledge to do it myself so it was a no brainer to paint it. But if i didnt, i couldnt be bothered again, i would ship it out for the $200 to be powder coated and be done

:D

Well, I think mine needs it.. if you look at the picture, which is bad and hold, but not as old as the date says, I have added many things.. well, I think it would be awsome black. Do you think I sould w/ my frame? Also, who should I send it to? My cousin can do it, but he had just started, and I want it done prof.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa283/braaup/100_1373.jpg

j450rking
12-27-2007, 08:23 PM
well i would look and see what your cousin could do. i have just started powder coating and it's not hard at all. and with a simple color like stealth black you really can't mess it up to much.