PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder stud broken below surface

45 lt80
12-25-2007, 09:00 PM
What would you do? A 4-wheeler shop or a engine shop. Im going to call around to see what is out there. Plus look for some left turn drill bits. The stud broke twice on me. First time i had 1 inch to play with. The second time is just below the surface.

45 lt80 :mad:

Aceman
12-25-2007, 10:42 PM
I mostly use left-handed drill bits/ez-outs on fasteners that are broken from overtorqueing, not siezing. If it's siezed tight enough to break the stud twice, I highly doubt you'll get it out using an ez-out.

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/may2003/techtotech.htm

I've had good luck using the "weld a flat washer/nut onto it trick." The heat from welding helps break the bond as well. If that doesn't work, I'd plan on drilling it out just a little smaller than the threads and retapping the hole. Good luck.

And if you're not doing the work yourself I'd take it to a machine shop. Not a good job for an atv shop that pays its employees minimum wage.

45 lt80
12-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Thank you Aceman For that web site. The problem is that the bolt is .889 below the surface. You can't weld to it. No shop wants to tackle it. I guest i will start drilling it out when i get time. I not going to rush it . Thanks again Aceman.

45lt80:mad: :mad: :mad:

Aceman
12-28-2007, 04:49 PM
You're welcome.

I wouldn't sweat it though, you'll get it. Just take it slow, problems like these require a lot of patience and attention to detail. Centerpunch the bolt, use a small bit to pilot hole it, maybe 1/8." Then 1/4," etc. If it's broken .889" below the surface, you must of just left the tip of the stud at the bottom. You can use that .889" of exposed threads now as a guide for the tap you'll need to run down into the hole to ream the rest of the stud out. Make sure to take small bites with the tap, go back and forth a lot to keep the chips cleared out of it.

machwon
12-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Aceman describes the best way to do it with a hand drill. I'm also assuming you're talking about cylinder head studs in a stock Honda cylinder. The Honda head studs on a stock cylinder are very hard and you likely won't drill down straight by hand. I would recommend you securely fasten the cylinder in a drill press, better yet a mill, and machine the old stud out using a carbide end mill.

I could probably help you out, but like most people, I'm sure they turned the job away because the time involved is not worth the money. Used cylinders can be found sometimes for $50, so unless you have some good porting/machine work you want to preserve, you may want to look at other options. Just some thoughts. Again, pm or e-mail if you have any questions.

45 lt80
12-29-2007, 04:11 PM
We milled the stud out. We drilled a hole all the way through the stud. Then pours something in the hole to help loose up the bond. I will have to get the name of that stuff. THe next day using a left hand drill bit it came loossee on the second size up. It still cost me 180 .00. Well its out. Now i need to find all my stuff because we moved to a new house. Now I can't find the cylinder head. Thank you aceman again.

45lt80