PDA

View Full Version : another 250r prob

Hondaboy007
12-25-2007, 06:13 PM
i am good at ridin but not so good at repairing. last time i fired up my R i noticed it was not runnin so good. my first couple of gears i have no power, once i get to 3rd, 4th and 5th it does alright. it is basically a stock engine and cannot figure this out. where can i start or what can i check? thanks for the help..........if you need more info let me know and i will tell ya.

TheNewn
12-26-2007, 07:17 AM
Lots more info would be needed...Does it just bog? Cut out completely? jetting is stock i assume?

have you checked anything at all? Clean the carb out? check the reeds, check the gas? just the usual things. You haven't trouble shot anything? Did it just happen all of the sudden?

Is it low RPM the problem is? High RPM? It idles fine?

Are you fouling plugs?

Hondaboy007
12-26-2007, 03:06 PM
it did sit for a lil while but i did clean the carb and put new fuel in it , jetting is stock..... bogs is a good word for what is happening. yes it idles fine too......for future reference what should stock jetting be, i will double check. reeds are new and why would higher gears run smooth and the first 2 gears bog out......?

Jason Hall
12-29-2007, 07:48 AM
I would first Install a new plug. If It still bogs badly, start raising the clip on the needle. That will lean the mixture just off Idle to about 3/4 throttle.

If you pilot Is to big or your choke/Idle adjuster & air screw are not adjusted right, you will have poor low & mid performance. Maybe you should do this first. Turn the air screw (small screw towards the rear of the carb) all the way In EASILY against Its seat. Then back the air screw out 1-1/2 turns. Then adjust your choke/ Idle adjuster until the engine Idles decent. Then fine tune the idle with the small air screw. Ride the bike until It Is warmed up, then fine tune the Idle again. If It runs better great, If not then start moving the needle like I suggested at first.