PDA

View Full Version : Air filter question

03trx400
12-24-2007, 02:12 PM
i picked up a Twin Air filter to go with the E2 today. but i just read somewhere that the biggest problem with the airfilters is the restrictive stock cage?..has anyone else heard of this or does it not matter

Thanks, Matt

glamiskid395
12-24-2007, 09:43 PM
yes it restrictive.
i could not tell you how much because i put a K&N on the first day i bought the bike, along with a pipe and jets.

flauge
12-25-2007, 12:26 PM
I think I read somewhere that you can take out that fine screen inside the cage so it wont be as restrictive..

glamiskid395
12-25-2007, 01:23 PM
if you take the screen out, the filter might collapse under pressure..? not sure though

flauge
12-25-2007, 02:36 PM
It should be ok since the cage will still be intact. There was a tread about it somewhere a while back I think. I'll try to dig it up.:cool:

03trx400
12-25-2007, 06:06 PM
blah...well thanks for the input guys. but i already sliced my fingers all up getting the twin air over the screen lol..i couldnt beleive it..i finally get it on and i see drops of red all over the filter lol..hope that doesnt mess anything up?..oh well..ill deffinitally do that when i gotta clean it or when i replace it.

the Z Man
12-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Blood does have oxegen in it.. right?

12-25-2007, 07:26 PM
yeah those stock filter cages are so sharp i have cut my self and the stock filter nurmerous of times. it will really take a chunk out of something if it rubs against it

maxfior
12-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
yeah those stock filter cages are so sharp i have cut my self and the stock filter nurmerous of times. it will really take a chunk out of something if it rubs against it

DITTO! VERY DANGEROUS! It's so sharp it is like a f'ing razor! What is a good price for K&N, I think that might be the way to go? What do you guys think?

Max

12-26-2007, 09:56 AM
yeah I have a K&N and I love it. Great quality and easy to maintain. I got my K&N at rockymountainatv.com because they were cheaper than Motosport.com but recently RMATV raised their prices yet they are still cheaper.

K&N
$48.99 RMATV
$54.99 Motosport

Outerwears
$10.99 RMATV
$16.99 Motosport

I think I paid $44.99 before RMATV had the price raise but its still cheaper than the competitor.

maxfior
12-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Yeah, that's a pretty good price. I'll maybe even get some more junk at RockyMnt. and then shipping will be free. I use to be a big Dennis Kirk guy, but they have a junky web site for ordering and I like the customer serivce of RM better. I just ordered a EHS filter the other day and I'm going to make my own air box lid... Should be interesting...

Max

glamiskid395
12-26-2007, 01:14 PM
i paid 240 for my K&N!
but it was a power up kit
so it had outerwear, jets, and few other things.
if your gonna get K&N go for the 450r filter, thats what came in my power up kit.
it fits perfectly, just cut the two tabs at the bottom of the airbox, and it might increase airflow more...

Big - D Racing
12-27-2007, 01:11 AM
get rid of that inner screen, what is the point of buying an aftermarket hi-flowing filter and then stick that thing in there? It defeats the whole purpose of the filter. Get rid of it and add some power. I through that thing away the first day I got my bike. Those foam filters protect great without it. Don't believe run your bike hard for a day without that screen then check your carb boot for any fine dust, if you install it and oil it right there won't be any. With a k&n you may find a fine layer as k&n's don't protect as good, though that's what I run for optimal power. I redo my top end every season regardless so a k&n is best for me. If you don't want to rebuild you top end damn near ever run a hi-flo foam filter or if you ride in more wet-muddy environments.

Get the screen out!:eek2: