PDA

View Full Version : lookin at 4x4 quads 650+

clutt225
12-23-2007, 06:48 PM
do they still slip belts when wet?
if so dose this make the honda the only one worth geting?
is the cat just alot of bling with the nice wheels?
which one would you buy and why?

looking for real opinions not what you have read please.
just so you know alil about me. I have been riding sport quads for years and racing for the past 4.
I had a 400ex that had suspension, curently I have a built 450r.
I am not stuck on honda in fact I think the rincon is a lil behind the times. typical honda.

so please educate me I trust your opinions!

Hondamaster5505
12-23-2007, 07:13 PM
If you want a 4x4 that will go anywhere and at the same time, rips your ***DELETED**** :grr: arms off:
I will sugest either an outlander/renegade 800, or a thundercat 1000

A 4x4 that has decent balls, goes anywhere, and virtually maintaince free:
I say go grizzly 700 fi

SRH
12-23-2007, 07:17 PM
can am

chadbarger18
12-23-2007, 07:22 PM
well my almost stepdad has a 04? artic cat 650v with a revbox and it would out run my 400ex with a fmf and no airbox lid. in like a 500ft drag. ive hit 65 on it and it scared the living ***DELETED*** out of me

clutt225
12-23-2007, 07:31 PM
A friend of mine says honda all the way because the rest are all belt drive. Is this really that big of a issue?
when I read the specs on the honda I am not all that impressed.
so far I really like the cat 700 or the thunder cat if I can get one (they are very ltd up here at least)
but then the zuk has some good #'s to
the can-am #'s are great but it just looks bad.
the grizz looks good but the power stearing scares me.

keep the opinions coming and maybe some pics if you have any.
when I build it it will be to my usual standards.
I would like to see if any one has rims,tires,lights, just any mods

chadbarger18
12-23-2007, 07:34 PM
the only thing i do not like about the cats are that they feel like there about the roll over but ive never had that problem

rancherrider69
12-23-2007, 07:37 PM
i dont think the power stearing is anything to worry about...ive heard that it accually acts as a stabilizer too

clutt225
12-23-2007, 07:38 PM
I think they all feel like that don't they?
I rode the sportsman 700ho and it was awfull.
the gizz 660 felt way better.
but these were the only big 4x4's I have ever rode.
I will be sellin my monster to buy this quad so it dose have to haul ***, plow the drive way, and ride trails.
I am done racing

chadbarger18
12-23-2007, 07:40 PM
well yea the grizzles and honda dont though but the cats do have good power and i dont like the grizzle it didnt feel right something about thewas it took off and it didnt have mutch tq

clutt225
12-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by rancherrider69
i dont think the power stearing is anything to worry about...ive heard that it accually acts as a stabilizer too
the power stearing is electric and that is just one more electric thing to put under water

Which 450?
12-23-2007, 07:50 PM
The belt drive isnt anything to worry about. the honda's transmission actually was having alot of problems, but I think its fixed for '08. I own a brute force 750, I had an '06, I sold it and got an '08 because I like them so much. For the price you cant beat a brute force. Its got more power then the grizzly. If you want to spend another $2000 you can get a can am or another $2000 more (at least I cant remember) you can get the arctic cat 950. I rode with can ams in west virginia a few weeks after I got my '08 and they didnt seem to pull much on me, I think with a power commander I can keep up no problem. But im not worried because I dont drag race mine.

clutt225
12-23-2007, 07:53 PM
see I never even thought of the kawi.
thanks

trx400exxracer
12-23-2007, 07:58 PM
first off what are you going to be doing with it? Racing GNCC?

Hondamaster5505
12-23-2007, 08:00 PM
for what you described you need it for, get the thundercat 1000 if you can.

You will have a 72hp work horse (and yes, it is that much)

Compare that to the 38hp grizzly you rode.

The only thing is you would need to buy a locker for the front if you wanna some serious mudding.

I betcha it'll be almost as fast as your 450, hahahaha:D

If you can get one of those, than i say can-am outlander 800.

62hp and still a great worker.

Hondamaster5505
12-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
If you cant** get one of those, than i say can-am outlander 800.

62hp and still a great worker.

firefighterjosh
12-23-2007, 10:44 PM
I didn't read the whole thread but I will throw in a few things.

The Belt type transmissions are fine. They need minimum matenice. I clean mine out twice a year and I race on it.

They will slip when wet, but if you plan on going in water over rack deep then you need a snorkel reguardless.

As for speed the Can am 800 rules stock for stock. But they have some clutch issues.

What are you wanting in a 4x4? Speed? Handling? Mudding? XC racing?

When I know what you want exaclty I can do more specific into a brand.:)

firefighterjosh
12-23-2007, 10:51 PM
After reading into this more I see your wanting to just ride trails plow the drive way ect.

I would look at the Grizzly 700, King quad 700, AC 700, possibly a can am 800 or 650, BF 650i or 750i.

I have a king quad 700 - Handle great, I can beat a stock 400ex when my king quad was stock, now with a clutch kit and pipe I am right there with a piped can am 800. Locking diff

Grizz 700 - My dad has one. The power steering is awesome, nothing to worry about, I almost wish I would have bought one. Locking Diff

AC700 & Brute forces - I don't know alot about them, but the AC has the king quad 700 engine which has been bullet proof throughtout the years. The Brute forces have nice powerful engines but lacked handling IMO when I rode them.

Can am 800 - Big and fast is the only thing this has IMO. It has no locking diff, has belt problems. If your into just drag racing then this may be the quad but other then that I would make it #2 on the list.

Hondamaster5505
12-23-2007, 11:21 PM
you can see how powerful it is, even though its in swedish.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=488064638449801007&q=thundercat+1000&total=10&start=0&num=10&so=1&type=search&plindex=6

Piped outlander vs piped banshee. Both of these 4x4's are sick, and very capable

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3822078673382509505&q=outlander+800+drag&total=7&start=0&num=10&so=1&type=search&plindex=1

firefighterjosh
12-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
you can see how powerful it is, even though its in swedish.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=488064638449801007&q=thundercat+1000&total=10&start=0&num=10&so=1&type=search&plindex=6

Piped outlander vs piped banshee. Both of these 4x4's are sick, and very capable

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3822078673382509505&q=outlander+800+drag&total=7&start=0&num=10&so=1&type=search&plindex=1

And we all know how great banshee power is in the woods;)

I can't view the vid at work but there is NO WAY a piped Can am 800 will beat a piped banshee. They are not that fast

Hondamaster5505
12-24-2007, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
And we all know how great banshee power is in the woods;)

I can't view the vid at work but there is NO WAY a piped Can am 800 will beat a piped banshee. They are not that fast

i know, but they are damn fast.

If i were to go the 4x4 route, i want something that will haul butt!!

clutt225
12-24-2007, 09:43 AM
I have found a good price on a low hrs 2006 700 efi arctic cat limited in the candy orange colour. Has only 300km. If I have a buyer for monster then I think this will be the one.

Hondamaster5505
12-24-2007, 10:17 AM
that looks like a pretty nice quad.

It aint gonna be no rocket though if thats what you were lookin for. Its only a 650 single.

It'll still be pretty decent though.

If i were to choose it would be the AC 1000 or the Can-am 800.

If you could get that one for a decent price, than go for it.

Hondamaster5505
12-24-2007, 10:18 AM
oops, it is a 700. lol.

It'll still probably be quick

Which 450?
12-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Hmm I almost bought one of them, they dont have as much power as the BF and are alot more expensive ( i was going ot buy new)

Quad18star
12-24-2007, 02:41 PM
Sorry I didn't get your message until laste lastnight Jeremy. I now see why you were trying to get ahold of me.

You know what my answer is gunna be .... Yamaha Grizzly.

I've got buddies that have BF750, Suzuki 700, Can-Am 500 and a Cat 500..... I'll put my Grizz up against theirs any day of the week. They're mostly all faster than mine , but how often do you really go all out ?? maybe once in a ride when you're on an old road ... but to me 97KM/H is still fast enough on a bike ( that's what my grizz with tires tops out at).

The reason I say a Grizzly , is because they're virtually bulletproof and the parts are that expensive either. My 660 with 27s will go through more mudholes than any of the above mentioned bikes.... proven fact :D .

There's a reason why on a mud run you see a gang of people standing at a large mud hole and they always send the Grizzly through first ... Cuz if the Grizz can't make it , no way the others will come close. :p

I like the new 700 Grizz ... no power steering issues that I've heard of .... and if it does stop working you can still steer just like the other bikes. ;)

I work at a BRP dealerships and I wouldn't buy one . Too much $$ , too many electronics. If something goes you gotta bring it in and hook it up to a computer to figure it out. I like the simple designs.

Cat = Way too heavy ... bullet proof but way too much.

Kawie = My buddy's is a POS. Might have had a lemon , but heard of others with similar problems as his. Very tippy unless you get spacers or wider tires

Suzuki = Seems to be holding up well ... few minor issues that my buddy had with electrical.

My Grizz 660 = Getting an overhaul hopefully by the spring ... 686 Big Bore and an HMF full system exhaust and High Lifter Rad. I WILL remain top dog oln the block . :devil:

As for the belts ... if it slips , pull the drain plug , let her dry off for 2 minutes ( grab a cold one ..... pop of course ;)) and get going. If you're gunna run deep , you'll snorkel it anyways.

firefighterjosh
12-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by clutt225
I have found a good price on a low hrs 2006 700 efi arctic cat limited in the candy orange colour. Has only 300km. If I have a buyer for monster then I think this will be the one.

Thats a nice quad. has everything you need. If you dumped an extra 2k into the engine you could be beating can ams.

I love spending 7k on my quad, putting 2k into it and having a faster quad for less money

RideRed84
12-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Don't get a S hitty kitty. I'd say either Can-Am or Grizz. I ride with a lot of guys and they love their Grizzley's. I personally am looking at Rincon's for there reliability and longevity. I may play with it a little in the mud but it will mostley be a worker and putter.

firefighterjosh
12-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by RideRed84
Don't get a S hitty kitty. I'd say either Can-Am or Grizz. I ride with a lot of guys and they love their Grizzley's. I personally am looking at Rincon's for there reliability and longevity. I may play with it a little in the mud but it will mostley be a worker and putter.

Whats wrong with a kitty:confused: There the only 4x4 I know of without some kind of frame problem.

Grizz is nice

Rincon has it share of problems when bigger tires are introduced. But they are a reliable machine

Which 450?
12-26-2007, 04:30 AM
BTW my bf 750 tops out at 75 stock.

TOPDAWG
12-26-2007, 06:25 AM
I have not seen anything where he said how he will be riding it and where.

I'd say if you want the best all around 4x4, then get the Grizzly 700 with the power steering. It has won MULTIPLE shootouts.

Throw a set of Rox risers, some bars, some radials, and a set of 1" spacers in the rear on it. It will become a different animal that is night and day from stock.

You can find out all about Grizzlys over on Grizzlycentral.

clutt225
12-26-2007, 08:13 AM
OK here is the plan this is my current ride that is for sale.
I also have a stock blaster for the wife. I plan to sell monster because it is a lil much for a trail bike it has no e start, no rev, and runs on race gas. I will no longer be racing. If I still had my 400ex I would just hold tight and ride it but monster dose not feel right in the trails. Now that is why I am selling the 450R, The blaster might just as well go to because the wife has never really got into riding and is now prego, so she has no interest in riding now.
The 4x4 will serve more purpose, I can still blast the trails because the new 4x4's are pretty quick, I can use it to plow my drive and IF the wife wants to go out she prefers to ride on the back. It just seems to be the right choise right now.

Hey dose anyone think I will be able to mount these flexx bars on a ut?

RideRed84
12-26-2007, 10:59 AM
It sounds like you would be doing the exact same thing as me and I think the Rincon is perfect.
I have heard nothing but bad things about kittys. I have never heard anyone first hand tell me they were a good quad so I'm going off of others peoples opinion and I may be wrong.

Quad18star
12-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Jeremy .... you're doing the same thing I did . I went for a sport race quad to a Utility ..... hands down the best move I ever made. Both me and the girlfriend can go out on a Sunday ride and have fun .... and I can even go out on a Saturday with the Guys and blast through the trails and mud. I liked the sport quads , but the Utes are so much more versatile.

Whatever you choose , I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Let me know what you get and I'll let you know about a few Mud Runs . Check out www.mudhole.ca for some good info from Ontario about Utes and www.highlifter.com for all your Utility information. I'm a member on both sites ... same Username as this one.