PDA

View Full Version : CRF450R and 400ex hybrid?

416exfreak
12-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Is it possible, or logical?

When my 440 engine blows, im turning my ex in a hybrid, but I want to keep it all Honda.

How hard would it be to do this?

TheNewn
12-24-2007, 03:57 AM
If you use the search button, you'll find about 1 or 2 billion threads about this. You'll get lots of info pretty quick.

Many many people do it, just have to make sure you gusset the frame very well.

stocktires
12-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by TheNewn
If you use the search button, you'll find about 1 or 2 billion threads about this. You'll get lots of info pretty quick.

Many many people do it, just have to make sure you gusset the frame very well.

ditto
Also, I strongly advise against using stock frames, but it is your quad.

300exQuadracer
12-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by stocktires
Also, I strongly advise against using stock frames, but it is your quad.

i have ran my stock framed hybrid 520 big bore stroker HARD for 3 years and havent had a problem, gusset the frame and look over the stock welds and you most likely wont have a problem if you do it right

416exfreak
12-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Well, hopefully I'll have a while to do some research on the subject before my engine gives.

If I do the project, then I will be using the stock frame (i cant afford an aftermarket frmae) and it will be gusseted heavily.

Im pretty good with forming metal and making my own brackets. Im just wondering how hard it is to fit the engine, and make it work with the radiator. And also, what kind of radiator would I use.

Ive searched for this topic, I came up with 4 threads, none of which had anything good in them. If anyone else knows the magic jkeywords and doesnt mind posting a hotlink, I would appreciate it greatly.

300exQuadracer
12-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Well, hopefully I'll have a while to do some research on the subject before my engine gives.

If I do the project, then I will be using the stock frame (i cant afford an aftermarket frmae) and it will be gusseted heavily.

Im pretty good with forming metal and making my own brackets. Im just wondering how hard it is to fit the engine, and make it work with the radiator. And also, what kind of radiator would I use.

Ive searched for this topic, I came up with 4 threads, none of which had anything good in them. If anyone else knows the magic jkeywords and doesnt mind posting a hotlink, I would appreciate it greatly.

you want the frame gusseted but too rigid and it will actually break faster, you need some flex, for motor mounts JB racing makes some trick aluminum front mounts and you can use the stock crf top mounts with some spacers
i went with a pwr radiator on mine

416exfreak
12-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by 300exQuadracer
you want the frame gusseted but too rigid and it will actually break faster, you need some flex, for motor mounts JB racing makes some trick aluminum front mounts and you can use the stock crf top mounts with some spacers
i went with a pwr radiator on mine

You wouldnt happen to have any pictures of yuor build would you?

If you do, and dont want to post them, or dont have them uploaded, then if you dont mind, please E-mail them to me at

faster400ex@yahoo.com

Thanks

:)

ss440ex
12-25-2007, 07:14 PM
Rad top pic...

ss440ex
12-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Rad lower pic...

400exMO
12-25-2007, 11:22 PM
search more, there has been so many write ups on this topic.
atv four play does the conversion for around 400-500.
many people use a 250r stock radiator.

TEABAGGER16
12-26-2007, 07:31 AM
hey if your looking for a crf engine i have one its a 03 clean just refreshed the motor top to bottom everything stock except cam valves and piston wiesco in may also i have a jb racing frame for it too and race cut wireing harness all easy disconcts i have pics for everything let me know if interested thanks

416exfreak
12-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Teabagger, I would be completely interested if I didnt owe my dad 700 bucks for my guitar.

I'll get with you when my engine blows and see if you still have it though.

300exQuadracer
12-29-2007, 10:55 AM
side shot, i'll get some close ups of the mounts today

300exQuadracer
12-29-2007, 10:57 AM
mounts and some frame gussets under the radiator