PDA

View Full Version : kickstarter binding PLEASE HELP

froggy97
12-23-2007, 01:07 PM
A friend of mine brought his 04 450r to my house to help him with a problem. When you try to kick start it the lever locks up TIGHT it just wont go down. So we took it all apart, he got a new crank, crank bearings. The tranny bearings, clutch basket bearing, were bad so we got them. Also new right side crankcase and side cover (kick starter hole was worn on both) kick starter spindle. Still wouldnt kick over. I took the kick start stuff out of mine and put it in his and it still wont. You can pull start it and it runs good, no funny noises or anything. Everthing inside the motor can be turned easily separately (crank, tranny), but but it all togerther and nothing. It can be kicked over if the spark plug is out but its still tight, the compression must be putting it in a bind somewhere, but almost everthing is new, I have also rebuilt mine a couple times and have never had any problems.

Thanks for any advice
Paul

quadwanter
12-23-2007, 01:52 PM
adjust your decompression settings? just a guess...

quadgod440ex
12-23-2007, 02:40 PM
thats what i would say... I forget what the setting is. Im sure someone on here knows off the top of there head.I wanna say like .14 or something.

d3ktrix
12-23-2007, 03:15 PM
He said it was still hard to turn over even with the plug out.
If thats true then I really doubt it's the decompresser as there is no compression building up with the plug removed :P
With the plug out it should turn over with hardly any effort, should be able to do it with ur hand.

If you can turn it over with ur hand on the kicker when the plug is out. But totally locks up with the plug in, then yeah it could be the decompresser clearance.

And since you had the entire engine apart to to do the bottom end I'm sure you would of noticed if the valves were making contact with the piston.

Rich250RRacer
12-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Sounds to me like you put something together wrong when you replaced the kicker spindle. Did you line up the punch marks on the spindle and the rachet assembly? I've seen one kicker spindle showing wear from lack of oil, is that why you replaced the case, cover, and spindle?