PDA

View Full Version : engine questions/ rebuild

BIGKURT666
12-23-2007, 12:01 PM
i gotta rebuild my bike cuz she burns quiet a bit of oil i think the rings blew... any how i was wondering if i could get like a 416 kit or something. a higher comp piston without having to bore the cylinder out any. i figure i mite as well do something to the internals while i have it ripped apart.

thanks for your info

JOEX
12-23-2007, 12:13 PM
You can get a higher compression stock bore piston. When you install new rings the cylinder will at least need to be honed.

You'll also want to have the condition of the current bore checked for wear, out of roundness, taper and probably a couple more things i'm not thinking of. These measurements will determine if the cylinder needs to be bored or just honed.

A 416 kit requires the cylinder to be bored.

F-16Guy
12-23-2007, 01:35 PM
I would suggest a 406 or a 416 (86mm or 87mm) piston and a cam. I think it's always better to start with a fresh bore if you can. If you look on eBay, there are complete "kits" that include an 11:1 87mm piston, HotCams stage 2 cam, and a gasket set for under $300. That would be a good deal, and it's pretty much all you need as far as parts go. Once you get the parts, I would send the cylinder and new piston to GT Thunder and have them bore the cylinder for the new piston and install their heavy duty head studs. Depending on your abilities, you may also want to send them the rings and have them gapped so that you can just bolt it all together when you get it back. If you do all of that, you will have an absolutely bullet-proof engine that will pull much harder than a stocker.

BIGKURT666
12-23-2007, 04:34 PM