PDA

View Full Version : Elka Tripple SSD vs PEP ZPS

QuadTrix6
11-11-2002, 06:03 PM
i heard that elka raised there prices and now im not sure if i should spend a little more $$$ and get the PEP ZPS shocks. is there a noticable difference between these two shocks ? and is it worth the longer wait for the ZPS ? thanks

**edit** i'll be using them for MX

trx400ex
11-11-2002, 06:40 PM
PEP all the way

Ex'r Marlin
11-11-2002, 07:34 PM
LOL... I was faced with a similar situation this time last year. Works increased their prices... So I went shopping too.

I don't know how much the Elka price increase is, but Works wanted over one hundred dollars more for the setup I was looking at. I guess it depends if the price increase is worth it.

BTW... What kind of riding do you plan on using your shocks for?

Derek
11-11-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Ex'r Marlin

I don't know how much the Elka price increase is, but Works wanted over one hundred dollars more for the setup I was looking at. I guess it depends if the price increase is worth it.

Works cost more?

Ex'r Marlin
11-11-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Derek6621

Works cost more? I am sorry if I mislead you... I did not mean to say that the Works were more than the Elkas, just that Works were going to charge me more for the same shocks.

After doing a month research and getting ready to buy the Works... Works increased their prices accross the board. For the same setup I was going to get was going to cost me over one hundred dollars more. I was soo upset over this, especially since the economy was low after 9/11, I decided to look elsewhere...

Sorry for misleading anyone!

Derek
11-11-2002, 08:35 PM
I see now.

86atc250r
11-11-2002, 08:57 PM
I've got a set of each (PEP ZPS and Elka triples (front and rear on both)).

My PEP fronts are vastly superior for XC (which is what I ordered both sets for).

I didn't like either the Elka or PEP rear.

However, my Elka's were a 1st generation set and from what I understand they are making leaps and bounds in setup and hardware practically every day. They also have some high profile riders switching to them, that says a lot and will do nothing but help their experience in setup.

Currently I'm running PEP ZPS fronts and a GT Thunder rear and am pretty happy with that setup. I've got a set of GT Thunder fronts I haven't tried yet.

Dave400ex
11-11-2002, 09:10 PM
GT Thunder makes Shocks? Give some details on those....

Also I think for XC Racing Derisi would be awesome.

QuadTrix6
11-11-2002, 09:28 PM
i'll be setting them up for MX

QuadTrix6
11-11-2002, 09:31 PM
how long is the wait for pep around dec 1st ?

86atc250r
11-11-2002, 09:46 PM
Lazarus at GTT rebuilt my OEM rear with a "ZPS" style setup. After two races now, I'm really liking it so far.

I also sent my old TCS fronts to him, he installed 5/8" shafts, Heim joints on top and bottom, resprung and revalved them. They are also a "ZPS" style setup. He basically turned them into a top quality shock.

Not sure what the current wait is for PEP shocks - I was originally told 4 to 6 weeks. Turned into about 4 1/2 months (December to mid April).

RiPPiNiTuP7
11-11-2002, 09:54 PM
Took 6 months to get my PEP Shocks for my Blaster :eek:

beerock
11-11-2002, 11:43 PM
wow, alot of people voted for elka over pep.

YOUR NUTZ

pep is way better, and been in the game much longer

pep all the way

QuadTrix6
11-12-2002, 06:16 AM
See i dont know if i want to wait 4-6 months. Thats a really long time.

Taco
11-12-2002, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by beerock

YOUR NUTZ

pep all the way

How about you back up these statements with some facts?

Tommy 17
11-12-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Taco

amen...

when i went to order pep back in early july i was told 6 month wait and they cost 100$ mroe then my elkas...

i had my elkas on my 400 and riding in a week and saved 100$ and have no zero problems so far!!!

cdalejef
11-12-2002, 10:31 AM

YOUR NUTZ

pep all the way And how long did you run Elkas Bee?

QuadTrix6
11-12-2002, 12:47 PM
jeff what do you think ?

cdalejef
11-12-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix66
jeff what do you think ? I haven't run PEPs so I can't comment on how they preform. I don't care for the cast bodies and small shafts tho. My Elka's work just as good as my Axis did!

86atc250r
11-12-2002, 02:13 PM
Shafts on their Limited Mass and ZPS are 5/8" just like the Elkas, Axis, etc....

Not sure what disadvantages a cast body has, but I do know the chrome plating on a smooth body makes the crossover hardware slide much more freely than some of the others. Also makes for easy trackside ride height adjustment without any tools.

PEP shocks aren't just a Works rebuild like many believe.

FWIW, I like my PEP fronts better than the Axis I used for a while, also like the additional adjustability over the Axis.

Here's a pic with Elka (top), PEP ZPS (middle), and TCS (old school) on the bottom for those interested. Wish I had the Axis on hand for the pic...

http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/images/tmp/shocks.jpg

Also note in this pic that the PEPs are the same overall length as the Elka, but have additional shaft travel.

cdalejef
11-12-2002, 02:40 PM
From what I've been told, the machined bodies are more true than cast bodies.
I didn't know PEP changed to 5/8's shafts.

86atc250r
11-12-2002, 02:44 PM
Makes sense....

I was under the impression that PEP has been using 5/8" shafts on everything but their "race" shocks for several years, but I'm not positive....

cdalejef
11-12-2002, 02:54 PM
I know they used to but didn't relize the switched.

forum
11-12-2002, 03:17 PM
pep does use works bodies tho. Works are a cast body. Cast things will vary in tolerence (size) from shock to shock, While billet pieces will be more presice(greater tolernces). Billet also disperses heat better, and is stronger. Im not trying to stick up for elka, just because thats whats on my christmas list. I think all the shock brands are good, for different reason's. I would buy pep zps, if they didn't use works bodies and there wasn't a 6 month wait. ALso im canadian

Dave400ex
11-12-2002, 03:25 PM
Really I think you will be happy with either. I also wanted the PEP ZPS, but for $175 more and to wait 6 months, I went with the Elka's. I am very happy with them and will buy Elka's again if I ever need new Shocks. I don't think it's so much the Shock, as is to who sets the shock up. I bet Mark Baldwin could make a Elka just as good, if not better then any PEP Shock out there. Good Luck.

trx400ex
11-12-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by forum
pep does use works bodies tho. Works are a cast body. Cast things will vary in tolerence (size) from shock to shock, While billet pieces will be more presice(greater tolernces). Billet also disperses heat better, and is stronger. Im not trying to stick up for elka, just because thats whats on my christmas list. I think all the shock brands are good, for different reason's. I would buy pep zps, if they didn't use works bodies and there wasn't a 6 month wait. ALso im canadian

hey call mark baldwinn ...THE ZPS DONT USE WORKS BODIES!!! he said they make there own

86atc250r
11-12-2002, 03:40 PM
Also notice the works bodied TCS vs the PEP in the pic I posted. Although they look similar, they are not the same.

Derek
11-12-2002, 03:41 PM
there not the same!!!!

QuadRacer041
11-13-2002, 05:50 AM
god here wa go again, this subject has been beat to death,:D

86atc is correct, pepe does NOT use works bodies,also jeff, pep uses 5/8shafts now on there limited mass and zps, my R and 400 both have 5/8 and they are zps.

like alot of people say its all a matter a prefrence what shocks you buy, i think the major negative pep has is there build time, most people dont want to wait that long.
and what im sure is a BIG selling piont with the elka's is how fastyou can get them.

i must admit though, i am seeing more and more people with elka's esspecially on the gncc and hairscamble scene.

YLW400
11-13-2002, 07:23 AM
True Quad041.....but has Elka really proven themselves on the MX tracks? I am trying to make the decision myself on what shocks to buy. Everyone talks about how good Elka is, but most of those people run Hare Scramble type stuff. I want a good MX shock.

QuadRacer041
11-13-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by YLW400
True Quad041.....but has Elka really proven themselves on the MX tracks? I am trying to make the decision myself on what shocks to buy. Everyone talks about how good Elka is, but most of those people run Hare Scramble type stuff. I want a good MX shock.
yea, thats my piont. dont really know anyone other then jasmin plante who is runnin elka's on th gnc series.
but like i said i do think elka's is making progress.

YLW400
11-13-2002, 10:02 AM
Well I do assume they do have some type of warranty. So worst case scenario, you blow them out, send them back to Elka, they rebuild them and then you sell them, then buy another set of something else:D . I am almost posotive I am going to go with Elka. But now....long travel or 16? LMAO decisions, decisions........I have bought cars with less thought put into it then this

forum
11-13-2002, 10:27 AM
the last i heard plante was running derissii shocks

I know pep used to use works bodies then like as recent as a year ago. Im not talking about the zps models

QuadRacer041
11-13-2002, 12:24 PM
u might be right forum, i always thought they were elkas but maybe not.

beerock
11-13-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Taco

pep have been used for countless amount of years in mx racing.

elka barely have a year. Although, they are making progress like lou said.

I also like the fact that you get the elkas fast, BUT I dont know If I could take the risk of having the shocks to hard or soft. Then I have to send them out again... And if I did buy a set of shocks, I know I would sell my old ones, so that means I would have no back up shocks, and thus wouldnt be able to ride....

I may end up buying elkas, but the only way I would buy them is if jeff set them up for me.

SlapNutz
11-13-2002, 01:13 PM

pep have been used for countless amount of years in mx racing.

elka barely have a year. Although, they are making progress like lou said.

I also like the fact that you get the elkas fast, BUT I dont know If I could take the risk of having the shocks to hard or soft. Then I have to send them out again... And if I did buy a set of shocks, I know I would sell my old ones, so that means I would have no back up shocks, and thus wouldnt be able to ride....

I may end up buying elkas, but the only way I would buy them is if jeff set them up for me.

wE ARE STILL WAITING FOR SOME FACT BEEROOK:macho

OutlawEX
11-13-2002, 01:16 PM
Id choose pep because they have been around longer and have really nice shocks,But if i had to buy some right now id get elka because pep takes about 4 months plus to get them to ya and elka is faster

forum
11-13-2002, 01:44 PM
don't forget sending them back to get revbuilt atleast every season would take along time too!. or am i wrong?? quad041, Have you sent them back to be rebuilt?

Tommy 17
11-13-2002, 02:12 PM
i dunno if any of u have noticed this but axis is no longer with rolls design... all the roll lobo2 front and rear ends now have elkas quadrate shocks on them in dirtwheels in all adds... now i wonder if the pros will switch over also this year... i can see it happening!!!

beerock
11-13-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by SlapNutz

wE ARE STILL WAITING FOR SOME FACT BEEROOK:macho
duh, fact is the pep has been in racing for a long time that was the fact you NUMNUTZ j/k:devil :blah :macho

btw happy bday

mine was nov 10th

beerock
11-13-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by 400ex21
i dunno if any of u have noticed this but axis is no longer with rolls design... all the roll lobo2 front and rear ends now have elkas quadrate shocks on them in dirtwheels in all adds... now i wonder if the pros will switch over also this year... i can see it happening!!!
good point tommy.

I could see elka coming around ,they just need to get there stuff right the first time around.

Trial and error, that is what there goin through right now, and damn I know they are feelin the heat. because of people talkin bad about them because of the fact that the shocks "might be" set up properly or NOT.

theyll take the heat and redo the shocks. thats how people get good at things. Trail and Error . Lord knows I know.

Dave400ex
11-13-2002, 02:57 PM
I doubt PEP and Axis were that good when they first started to be made either. Once Elka gets some top riders racing on their Shocks, they can get some feedback and make better Shocks, which I think they are doing.

QuadRacer041
11-13-2002, 03:05 PM
turn around time on shock service from pep is only a few weeks, dont forget standard ground shipping to the east coast is over a week by it self from pep.

look like many have said elka is coming around but of coarse thats whats gonna happen to any company, the FACT is pep's are very proven that is a fact.not to say elka isnt any good but in my opinion havent been around long enough to be proven.

400exBro
11-13-2002, 04:46 PM
these are really good points!!!!

a lot people have thrown a lot of crapp at pep shocks especailly people like dana creech you jump huge, espcailly that 130 gap at the begining of h3..
pep has built there shocks from feedback of races and jumper like dana and have built a soperiour shock that is great for mx...

if elka would send a pair to dana or tim farr to be tested and got feedback elka could come out with a product better than the peps for a couple buxks cheapier and you the racer could have the shocks within the month... And that is a good start to be able to get a shock made within a month but that might be the reason for elkas troubles, they might put them together to fast and make it a poor sloppy job causing problems. and i would say that elka should slow down by a couple of days and make it right the first time becuase if i need to send it back i will not be happy and settle for another brand.. Also if i spend that kind of money and get within a week or two and then 2 weeks later need to send them back i will be pissed, i rather have a shock take longer then have to send them back for another week or two and have nothing to ride on ....

also does pep make long travels for the zps???

thanks
Bro

AC 400 ex 02
11-13-2002, 04:52 PM
Peps all the way...especially for MX riding..just look around...so many people use Peps for their Mx riding..when i get the $ for some new shocks im going with Pep ZPS

beerock
11-13-2002, 06:15 PM
I dont think dana creech would ever leave pep. theyve been with him from the start. he is loyal, so dont think he'll switch.

I talked to him about it a while ago in a chat.;)

400MXer
11-13-2002, 06:30 PM
My PEP's are sweet....and personally i think they are better than my friends elka's. Elka better work on their valving bigtime. my friends shocks are so damn soft. THey feel like they are valved for a 10lbs rider. not really, but close.

and i think my shocks are better in corners. my thoughts may all change when his shocks are valved right, but untill then these are my .02

Dave400ex
11-13-2002, 08:37 PM
400MXer do you have any pictures of yours? Fischer's is top notch also. I have ridden up there in Ashtabula Ohio, man those guys have some killer Polaris quads up there. That yellow one in the new ATV Sport was there and won the drag race.

400MXer
11-13-2002, 08:46 PM
yeah....i'm totally happy with my quad....i want a 12 or 13:1 comp. piston though.

these pics are missing a few parts. but it has the main stuff on it.

d52
11-14-2002, 04:07 PM
I can just say that I love my PEPs for freestyle, mx, tt or just plain riding. I have ridden nearly all of the other names you guys are throwing around over the years just to check them out, and I will not be changing from PEP unless Wayne quits making them.

I would say it's up to the rider and the rider's budget on what they get. There is no shame in using a shock that isn't ridden by the top 10 pros in the world. Find out what works with the type of riding you are going for and the style and agression level you plan on pursuing. For me, and my style, agression level and handling requirements, there is only one choice. And yes I am sponsored by PEP now. But I have been using them since 1988 and I was not sponsored by them at that time. I didn't get sponsored by PEP until 2000.

400exBro
11-14-2002, 04:22 PM
Hey dana, pep doesn't make long travels do they???

86atc250r
11-14-2002, 04:23 PM
Yes, they do...

QuadRacer041
11-14-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by 400exBro
Hey dana, pep doesn't make long travels do they???

that question has been awnsered a bunch of times already

beerock
11-14-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by d52
I can just say that I love my PEPs for freestyle, mx, tt or just plain riding. I have ridden nearly all of the other names you guys are throwing around over the years just to check them out, and I will not be changing from PEP unless Wayne quits making them.

I would say it's up to the rider and the rider's budget on what they get. There is no shame in using a shock that isn't ridden by the top 10 pros in the world. Find out what works with the type of riding you are going for and the style and agression level you plan on pursuing. For me, and my style, agression level and handling requirements, there is only one choice. And yes I am sponsored by PEP now. But I have been using them since 1988 and I was not sponsored by them at that time. I didn't get sponsored by PEP until 2000.

Thanks for backin me up dana ;)

86atc250r
11-14-2002, 04:39 PM
Aren't you the one that turned Dana onto PEP, Bee? LOL....

QuadTrix6
11-14-2002, 06:21 PM
i was talking to a local shop and they told me that you have to be really good to ride pep and that if you don't nose dive and over clear every jump the pep zps will buck you off...is this true, im a decent rider but some of the bigger jumps i don't totally clear when im first doing them, i just don't want a shock thats gonna kill me...

does PEP have a website ? and how much do the zps go for ?

beerock
11-14-2002, 06:23 PM
I tried to, but your mom beat me to it! :p ;)

400MXer
11-14-2002, 08:08 PM
PEP shocks don't buck you.....infact they obsorb it. If they do buck you, your rear shock rebounds to fast. and you can adjust that.

d52
11-14-2002, 11:35 PM
QuadTrix66: you need to change bike shops. They have no idea what they are talking about. More than likely they get want to sell you the cheaper shocks cause they get a better mark up on them.

PEP custom makes the shocks for you, your weight, your riding style. They will make you look like you are a lot better rider simply because they are so forgiving of a mistake (or more). When I first started riding them, I was very much a beginner that was tired of getting my butt kicked by all the guys with the expensive stuff. I couldn't afford a fancy frame (I didn't get anything besides a stock frame til 2000) and I had to save forever to afford the right shocks, but I knew I wanted the PEP shocks even then.

I have never been sorry.

beerock
11-14-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
d52: I know this sounds like a stupid question but does pep make long travel shocks? Cuz I don't think i've ever seen or heard of them having 19" shocks. Also in h4 were those long travel shocks in the hawaii part? I am just curious really. dude can you read?

also by the way, if you didnt notice dana has a laeger bike now? with pep long travels.

Nausty
11-14-2002, 11:51 PM
lol, I had read almost this entire thread before and then I seen d52 posted so I went strait to that post overlooking the later ones.

beerock
11-15-2002, 12:02 AM
oh ok

I didnt mean to sound like a dick.

just wodnerin if you read.

lately the crowd around here is very hatred filled.

86atc250r
11-15-2002, 12:10 AM
Here's your answer....

Evan
11-15-2002, 01:43 AM
Im with 400MXer I felt that elkas were way to soft to me, even set up for a larger rider. I may get some elkas for my XC bike since they seem good for trails/XC
I havent ridden on PEP but the next shocks I buy will proably be PEP.
For those of you talkin about the long wait......I wouldnt let that stop you, if you really want something, dont let that stand in your way. Youve ridden HOW LONG without em??? whats a couple more months gonna matter?? When I was ordering I wanted AXIS no matter, I didnt care how long I had to wait. I proably wont buy new shocks again though, just buy some slightly used ones and have them revalved/resprung for your weight and they are as good as new. For the money I paid for my TCS/legacy shocks I cant complain.
Whats the scoop on Derisi??? Some say theyre good, others say they are crap?? Anyone have them. I think they are made near me in Charlotte.

Evan
11-15-2002, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by 400ex21

AXIS is no longer sold as a set with Roll stuff. Now you can buy Roll and slap any shock you want on. I highly doubt the Pros would switch over just because Axis is no longer sold with them.
Axis and Roll both have good stuff, its just overpriced for what your getting. I think you will see more Roll a-arms and s-arms being sold now though.

QuadTrix6
11-15-2002, 05:43 AM
i think i am going to go with the ZPS. I would much rather have a shock that i will have no problems with. Also would it be ok to have a ZPS front with stock rear? Also who do i go through? PEP directly or a store? Does pep have a website or phone #? Thanks

trx400ex
11-15-2002, 06:33 AM
Hey if one of you guys doesnt want to wait forever for PEPs i have some for sale right now!!!

Dave400ex
11-15-2002, 09:29 AM
A couple of Guys on here have the Rear Derisi Rebuild and love it. Also a couple have works converted to the Derisi setup. I think they are more of a XC shock because Derisi races XC. If he made a revalve kit for the Elka's I would try it out.
It will be ok to run the ZPS fronts for a little bit, but to get the best out of your Shocks you need to have the Rear done to match. I would go through PEP or Baldwin. PEP does not have a website and I don't know their number, but check out Baldwin (http://www.baldwinmotorsports.com)

YLW400
11-15-2002, 11:34 AM
Do you ride MX or XC Warriorman?

Dave400ex
11-15-2002, 12:22 PM
XC. Racing will start next Spring.

QuadRacer041
11-15-2002, 01:04 PM
id go through pep direct.
pep 909-590-4111, talk to wayne.

QuadTrix6
11-15-2002, 01:19 PM
thanks for all of your info im gonna call pep this week, and thanks again dana

QuadTrix6
11-15-2002, 05:50 PM
also what adjustments do the ZPS come with?

trx400ex
11-15-2002, 06:18 PM
PEP ZPS shocks come with ride height and compression adj.

nakomis0
11-16-2002, 03:12 AM
Are PEP 'Limited Mass' shocks better than Elka triple rate, SSD?

Do the 'limited mass' lower your ride height?

Sorry if this was answered someplace in the post I skimmed through and didn't see it anywhere.

QuadRacer041
11-16-2002, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by nakomis0

Sorry if this was answered someplace in the post I skimmed through and didn't see it anywhere.

actually, i think the limited mass shocks are more like the elka's and axis because the are not zero pre load.
they have a lot of sag built into them but are not a true zps.
if im wrong someone correct me.
yes even limited mass will lower the ride hieght but still have a ride height adhustment.

Taco
11-16-2002, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
Here's your answer....
I thought i remembered you posting at one time that you would like your elkas best if they had just a touch more rebound.:confused:

400exBro
11-16-2002, 07:36 AM
i think this is a good thread and should be put in the FAQ section so no one else will bring up this subject, they can refer too it in the faq section...

beerock
11-16-2002, 11:30 AM
AND there neck and neck coming down the straight away!!

looks like pep is gonna blow by elka with a come from the back of the pack win!;)

R-Crazy
11-16-2002, 11:46 AM
i think the race ended when Dana came on and showed everyone up. Thanks Dana, and when will my stuff be here?:blah :D :confused::blah

R-Crazy
11-16-2002, 11:47 AM
and if your wonderign i sent mine in about mid Oct, signed David Wysmuller

dave

lilpoppy
11-16-2002, 11:47 AM
I'm thinking about getting new shocks for my 400ex but all i really do is some trail riding but mostly racing up comp hill in pismo. I don't plan on ever racing or anything like that so my question is wether it is really necessary for me to spend that much money on elka shocks or just go with something cheaper? Whay about elkas in the front and rebuild my stock shock in the back? Or is that still over kill? What do you guys think.

Derek
11-16-2002, 11:53 AM
id say works.

86atc250r
11-16-2002, 11:58 AM
I thought i remembered you posting at one time that you would like your elkas best if they had just a touch more rebound.

I would have liked them more with less rebound on the front. My rear was adjustable. Would have also lowered the spring rate on the fronts a bit.

Anyhow, that was comparing them to my TCS's. After several races of getting beat up by them and trying other shocks, I finally got talked into giving PEP a try. Like the PEP fronts so far, the rear doesn't have enough spring rate and has since been replaced by yet another shock.

I've also been trying a set of GT Thunder fronts lately, so far, so good. They've got more spring rate than my PEP fronts, but seem to have as good ride quality without as much body roll in the turns, they'll also take a harder hit before bottomming so I can get a little more aggressive thru the rough stuff. Need to get more time on them though in more conditions to get a real good feel for them.

Dave400ex
11-16-2002, 12:39 PM
Lilpoppy, I would look at the cheaper Elka's. They are still very good, and if you feel you want the rezzies some day they can add them. PM Jeff.

KandK952
11-16-2002, 12:49 PM
I am sponsored by PEP and have PEP ZPS front and rear valved for MX. I rarely ever bottom out my rear shock, I bottom the fronts once in a while but they are a very plush ride and handle all kinds of stuff you throw at them. My buddy has Elka's and I dont like them half as much. Maybe its just my preference but I'd go with PEP.

Also Wayne said that PEP is about a 5 month wait. (it is worth it)

Dave400ex
11-16-2002, 12:53 PM
I wonder why PEP doesn't hire other guys to help make the Shocks. They could train them to be just as good as they are. I know a lot of people that would get PEP if it wasn't for the wait.

nakomis0
11-16-2002, 02:02 PM

Ok, i really need this answered, let me rephrase it.....

Should I get PEP 'Limit Mass' .. for $600

or Elka triple rate, SSD, comp. adj... for $750?

I also wanna say, I really like the idea of getting my quad lower. Help me out guys if you can.

Dave400ex
11-16-2002, 05:29 PM
Limited Mass are $750, unless you found a deal.

QuadTrix6
11-16-2002, 06:05 PM

Ok, i really need this answered, let me rephrase it.....

Should I get PEP 'Limit Mass' .. for $600

or Elka triple rate, SSD, comp. adj... for $750?

I also wanna say, I really like the idea of getting my quad lower. Help me out guys if you can.

from what i hear id go with the elka tripple rates with the SSD, the ssd will lower you more too

nakomis0
11-16-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Limited Mass are $750, unless you found a deal.

:rolleyes: I know how much they are. If I was getting them for 750 I would of said 750, not $600.

I have 1 vote for the Elkas, anybody else?

Dave400ex
11-16-2002, 07:12 PM
I was just saying man. If you can get them for $600 I would get them. That's a good deal.

stocktires
11-16-2002, 07:54 PM
I would buy ZPS no doubt if it wasnt for the wait. I'll be buying a rear shock within a month, and a LT front end in 3 or so months.
I CAN'T sit here and wait 5 months, thats WAY too long.
So I'll be forced to buy TCS or maybe even elka's :(

Nausty
11-16-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by KandK952
I am sponsored by PEP and have PEP ZPS front and rear valved for MX. I rarely ever bottom out my rear shock, I bottom the fronts once in a while but they are a very plush ride and handle all kinds of stuff you throw at them. My buddy has Elka's and I dont like them half as much. Maybe its just my preference but I'd go with PEP.

Also Wayne said that PEP is about a 5 month wait. (it is worth it)

you know its a bad thing if you can't bottem your shocks out right? lol, your not getting all the use out of your suspension if they are set to stiff because then it transfers more energy to the chasis than it needs too which = a harsher ride. Really you should set your shocks compression so that it will only bottem out on the harshest jump or part of the track.

trx400ex
11-16-2002, 08:15 PM
i would set suspension to where it never bottoms but comes close to off of the biggest hit on a particular track

Dave400ex
11-16-2002, 09:56 PM
I agree with TRX400EX. Bottoming on the biggest jump at the track might hurt you or something on the quad. Just get it so it's as close as can be without actually bottoming.

trx400ex
11-16-2002, 10:25 PM
yeah, break a wrist or something, plus you never know when you might take a bigger hit than you expected..

11-16-2002, 11:17 PM
ELKA ALL THE WAY!

stocktires
11-17-2002, 12:20 AM
Lathers, you were just saying in another thread that if you have never tried a product, dont reply to a thread thats comparing two, right?
yep, here it is:
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32828

"Im just saying stop putting ITP's holeshot's down when you have never tried only heard about them form othe rpeeps and review's! if you have never tried em then they shouldnt have a comment unless they sumthing about the tieres theyve used!holeshots are prolly the best tire out there and last one of the long lasting times!"
Lathers

(what a moron)

Derek
11-17-2002, 01:18 AM
ahahahaha tis tis tis..........no fighting:rolleyes: :blah

bongwater200
11-17-2002, 08:53 AM
Here it is from someone who has raced for a long time.

PEP's...... there IS NO BETTER! Mark and Wayne are the GODS of suspension

TCS...... Can't say anything bad about them.

ELKA..... Good suspension, but hasn't yet stood the test of time.

GT Thunder...... GAR-BAGE. Too harsh, poor quality. These shocks will beat you to death, and break all of your shock mounts to boot! Maybe all the tracks in Ohio are flat tracks and they work just fine there, but anywhere else..... uh uh baby!

Dave400ex
11-17-2002, 10:59 AM
PEP is good, but the main thing is Wayne and Mark are the best guys out there setting up suspension. They could make any shock just as good as the PEP's.

mesz1
11-17-2002, 02:23 PM
I had the chance to sell PEP and ELKA, I went with Elka, The quality is A1 and price and service so far are very good. Bob@meszmoto

11-17-2002, 08:13 PM
hey buddy, i have tried both ok so stick it, elka are betetr to me in mx or woods racing. I dunno about TT or Free-X but I know from my eperience of both I choose ELKA!, think before u speak

Nausty
11-17-2002, 09:14 PM
am i right in thinking you don't need a high performance shock for free x? I mean seems like some works triple rates would be all you need but just set up real stiff. Because it seems like you don't really need all the performance for small bumps, medium bumps and big bumps because is all you have is big jumps so is all you need is the compression really.

11-17-2002, 09:21 PM
its a battle between elka and pep, not whats best for free-x

forum
11-18-2002, 11:51 AM
maybe some one said this i didn't wanna read the whole thing but i did read quad041's post. SSd and ZPs are the same thing with different names. The limited mass shocks are not the same as the elka's ssd. Limetied mass is simaliar to what elka uses on there non ssd shocks. Axis doesnt use ZPS. they are simalir to the limited mass but with more sag. But are not a true zps

Dave400ex
11-18-2002, 02:55 PM
I haven't really read this, it's all your choice, how much money you have, and what you like best. You will like either Shock.

bongwater200
11-18-2002, 03:11 PM
If all you're going to do is go get air for a couple minutes at a time, you can get away with cheaper shocks and stiff springs. LONG motos in the nasty rough are where the high dollar shocks really make a difference.

d52
11-18-2002, 03:22 PM
Actual air time and suspension isn't the issue. The take-off and landing and the beating you are willing to take in the in between air-times is the issue. When you are in the air it doesn't matter what suspension you have. It only comes into play when you try to land it.

Decent suspension makes anyone look like a better rider, as well as lets you push yourself to excel in places that would have beat you before. Whether you are trail riding, racing, or freestyling suspension should be your first upgrade.

Even with the best suspension in the world (PEP), people can make mistakes that get you hurt bad. But a good set up should help to minimize the risk associated with our sport.

forum
11-18-2002, 03:59 PM
come on now dana. PeP really isn't the best... Your paid to say that.. hahaha Joking. I know its your honest opinion. Does PeP even Pay all the top racers. Its not like they need to considering everyone uses them..

Not to try and Flame but Have you tried new generation ELKA's ?? and if so what is your opinion.

breaks-alot
11-18-2002, 07:52 PM
Hey how much is it for your elka's. Baldwin Motorsports is only 5 minuets away from my house and Mark thinks I am just nuts and I am really good friends with Matt Bartosek so I could get ZPS pretty cheep but my parents don't want to spend that much on Christmas so I need something cheaper. I raced a really fat guy with a really modified 440 and he has elka's and said he loves them but Matt and all of my friends run ZPS and told me never to buy anything else. So how much are elka triple rates?

Dave400ex
11-18-2002, 08:17 PM
Mine were $725. Where were you at the last Trail Ride at Pine Lake?

Foxrage
11-18-2002, 08:58 PM
Like this whole post explains the pep Zps are sweet but honestly from what i have heard you cant go wrong with elkas for the price and the amount of wait. Your friends must have good money for all of them to have Zps.

11-18-2002, 09:04 PM
Dang straight CT and byt the looks of it Elka is winnning by 4 votes:devil

QuadTrix6
11-19-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Mine were $725. Where were you at the last Trail Ride at Pine Lake?

They raised the prices to 780 now :eek:

forum
11-19-2002, 04:12 PM
60 bux isn't much. some dealers will still sell for the same price bet. Ware did you get this info?? straight from ELKA??

QuadTrix6
11-19-2002, 04:58 PM
well i just got off the phone with Wayne from PEP. I ordered my shocks and they were great to deal with. I was a little suprised at some of the questions they asked like if i have skidplates, beadlocks, tire size and propegs. I cant wait to get them and thanks for all ur help

Derek
11-19-2002, 05:42 PM
what happened to all the posts. Im guessing bandwith.

Dave400ex
11-19-2002, 07:48 PM
So how long is the Wait?

stocktires
11-19-2002, 08:22 PM
Baldwin quoted me 8-10 weeks on PEP's.
Still not sure what I wana get

11-19-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by stocktires
Baldwin quoted me 8-10 weeks on PEP's.
Still not sure what I wana get

When i put the order in wayne asked me when i wanted them and i told him asap. He said probably about 3 months, could be sooner could be longer. That means i should get them just in time for next years races. Is it a busy time for shock builders now since race season is over and people are redooing there bikes?

stocktires
11-19-2002, 11:49 PM
yes, it is

breaks-alot
11-20-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by CT416EX
Your friends must have good money for all of them to have Zps.

Well Matt Bartosek has full sets on his yz, race R, practice R, and also on his new Z. And my neighbors are his sponsor who built the YZ. His son Daryn won the 90cc modified class this year at the nationals. He has ZPS on his R and both of his 90cc bikes (TT and MX) Those are the main to people I ride with but most of my track friends have ZPS like Joey Dreslinski (2nd place 250a) Ryan Orgram (First Place 4 Stroke B) ect... so a lot of racer's are from this little N-E corner of Ohio (actually Tim Farr grew up here and I even had his brother Steve as my Spanish teacher. So CT416EX I guess you could say that they "have some good money" but I don't so I’m looking for used ZPS or used Limited Mass. I will just have Matt go threw them because he works at Baldwins. So if anyone knows of ANYTHING just let me know.
Thanks,
Ben Gunter #16

Oh and WarriorMan I didn't go to Pine Lake. I'm staying out of the woods now...

trx400ex
11-20-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by breaks-alot

Well Matt Bartosek has full sets on his yz, race R, practice R, and also on his new Z. And my neighbors are his sponsor who built the YZ. His son Daryn won the 90cc modified class this year at the nationals. He has ZPS on his R and both of his 90cc bikes (TT and MX) Those are the main to people I ride with but most of my track friends have ZPS like Joey Dreslinski (2nd place 250a) Ryan Orgram (First Place 4 Stroke B) ect... so a lot of racer's are from this little N-E corner of Ohio (actually Tim Farr grew up here and I even had his brother Steve as my Spanish teacher. So CT416EX I guess you could say that they "have some good money" but I don't so I’m looking for used ZPS or used Limited Mass. I will just have Matt go threw them because he works at Baldwins. So if anyone knows of ANYTHING just let me know.
Thanks,
Ben Gunter #16

Oh and WarriorMan I didn't go to Pine Lake. I'm staying out of the woods now...

There was a full set Of PEP zps on ebay, front and rear, buy it now for 800..talk about a deal..i dont know if there still on there..i just sold mine a week ago

stocktires
11-20-2002, 06:12 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1873086349

Dave400ex
11-20-2002, 07:44 PM
Man that was a good deal. They are sold now though. Baldwin could make them like new...

Foxrage
11-20-2002, 08:29 PM
I hate when i find good deals and they get sold like that it makes me sad:( But think once i get the money saved up again(just got done spendin 700 on it) Im gonna wait a few weeks and see if any peps show up if not quadshopw will be receiving an order.

86atc250r
11-20-2002, 08:58 PM
Boy, don't you just hate it.....

I wonder who that dang gellett guy is :D

Anyone want to buy some PEP ZPS? LOL

stocktires
11-20-2002, 09:00 PM
it was you gabe? You sold your ZPS's? Why, I though you liked the fronts alot?
crazy cheap dude

11-20-2002, 09:03 PM
did u sell yours? I hope its no because u didnt like them cuz i just ordered a pair:eek:

nakomis0
11-20-2002, 09:21 PM
Man I been looking hard for shocks. I seen that on ebay and I miss read it. I thought it was just for the fronts, and the bike looked like it was tweaked a lil. So I just passed it up. ahh well..

86atc250r
11-20-2002, 09:28 PM
No, I bought them :eek:

11-20-2002, 09:32 PM
For the people wondering about the long travel peps they are the same price as std. shocks. 895 i think..i order mine from baldwin oct 3rd and i was told 8-10 week wait on them

Foxrage
11-21-2002, 05:21 AM
How much you want gabe? Was the rear a rebuild? Thanks

11-21-2002, 10:54 AM
So why not pick a spot central to most people and have a full test of the diff shocks? I bet we would find that the actual fine tuning by the owner has more of an effect on ride than the mfg of the shock.

It would be pretty cool to have a chance to completely test out the shocks in various conditions with many diff riders and experience levels and get input from everyone on all the shocks. I know the mfg's wouldnt really like it but it would get the real facts out in the open and we wouldnt have to continue getting ticked off by guys just babbling about what ever brand they have being the best. This would be the only real way to end this debate.

I personally love the LT set up on my EX but would like get the rear to function as well also, sure the rear elka is way ahead of stock but not nearly as plush as the fronts.

This is just my opinion but I think the majority of us dont have our shocks set up correctly. I find it hard just to get someone who has enough knowledge on suspension set up to talk to about correcting or changing things etc.

I have also heard from owners of every shock made that they were not set up right "out of the box" and needed either to be adjusted or re-valved. This is tricky stuff and it appears easy to be off on the valving or spring rates when first setting up a shock for anyone.

I even ask dana to tell us wheather you needed to make adjustments to your peps or not. I am feeling you didnt just pop them out of the box and onto your ride and not make any adjustments ever.

I would rather ride a set of low end shocks set up properly than a high end set up wrong, but getting the better made product set up correctly (valving and spring rate etc) would be the ticket.

How many of you think that not ever bottoming you suspension is a good thing? Those that do must have liked their stk suspension too cause your getting beat up more than you need to and need to rethink how to set up your suspension.

And guys there is a big diff in set up between MX, XC and stadium and freestyle. And there may be brands that set up better for one area than another and I am thinking that is one of the main reasons for such large diff of opinions between mx and say xc riders on which is best.

YLW400
11-21-2002, 11:13 AM
I couldn't have said it better.....So, Jeff, If I order shocks from you, will you come to Delaware and help me set them up???:blah

YLW400
11-21-2002, 11:14 AM
By the way 440, that wasn't a flame, you have a good point.

Dave400ex
11-21-2002, 02:54 PM
Gabe why did you buy them? Just to make some money?

440EX4me has some very good points.

86atc250r
11-21-2002, 03:25 PM
Hard to turn down a good deal....

11-22-2002, 02:41 AM
Thanks since it wasnt meant as a flame, been getting into enough trouble on other threads :)

d52
11-22-2002, 02:09 PM
You set your bike up for each track. You want to barely bottom out on the hardest jump. You can lower your bike if you are not bottoming out and raise it if you are.

Just adjust the little snap rings on the top of the shocks.

Mine come pretty close to perfect every time.

Dave400ex
11-22-2002, 03:15 PM
Dana do you adjust your Shocks or do you have a mechanic that does that for you? I know when you were on Team Nac's at Red Bud each of the rider's had their own mechanic that would prep and do what the rider's wanted.

d52
11-22-2002, 03:52 PM
Wayne does the first set and any tricky stuff. My Dad or either I do the on track stuff.

If I am just practicing and I need to change something I do it myself.