PDA

View Full Version : front sprocket

Glenn Keaton
12-23-2007, 08:39 AM
we are running a few winter races, and it is so muddy and snowy that we put the stock rear mud tires and stock rims back on the drr, and it really has affected the low power , so i was thinking about changing the front sprocket, maybe 1 tooth smaller and a new chain, that way i could change it fairly quick depending on the changing weather and track conditions, will this affect the top end very much , what do you guys think about this ? i noticed at the last race that we were sliding all over the place and out of control alot of the time , some of the guys were running toe in said it helped to control the steering , but i think it is tire pressure myself , how much air should i put in the tires with these kind of conditions , thanks

kenjolly
12-23-2007, 09:11 AM
I would even think about going down 2 teeth in front or mix it up with front and rear sprocket change and use the same chain.
Im sure top end isnt an issue if the track is that muddy, i would rather have the low end power rather than speed, also easier on the clutch with a lower gear in the mud.

tireman43
12-23-2007, 01:31 PM
There is a lot of top end on these machines. I run the stock front sprocket and a 38 rear(instead of the stock 32) for our indoor series. It is a much tighter track and it still doesn't rev out. I'd go with 1-2 up front or 3-5 in the rear.

Glenn Keaton
12-23-2007, 01:42 PM
so you think if i change only the front , that i can get by with the same chain, i didnt know if i had that much adjustment on the chain to do that? if i could get by the same chain , i might consider getting 2 front sprockets, one with 1 less tooth and one with 2 less teeth , that way i could decide which one i wanted to go with.

kenjolly
12-23-2007, 01:43 PM
a very good point, alot of people who run a some what stock machine dont use the top end or top end of the RPM range these drr's can deliver. Not to mention some great hole shots.

I have sprockets from 17-21 and from 28-35 try some different set up,s and try the upper rpm range, it also pulls great out of the corners.

tireman43
12-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Glenn Keaton
so you think if i change only the front , that i can get by with the same chain, i didnt know if i had that much adjustment on the chain to do that? if i could get by the same chain , i might consider getting 2 front sprockets, one with 1 less tooth and one with 2 less teeth , that way i could decide which one i wanted to go with.

You would be able to use the same chain by adjusting the axle and also by removing a link or 2. You will need a new chain though if you remove a link and want to go back to the larger sprocket. If you try like Ken said an go down 1 up front and up a couple in the rear, you may not need to do as much adjusting. Good luck.

Reimer Racing
12-24-2007, 05:54 AM
I keep in my chain/sprocket box a hand full of "pieces" of chain that way I can make the chain shorter or longer depending on the sprocket choice.

Glenn Keaton
12-24-2007, 05:57 AM
what is the difference between changing the front sprocket v/s the rear, i canfigure out the ratio and get it about the same either way, other than $$$ what is the difference, i just think at the track it would be faster to just change the front, i hear alot of remarks about go down 1 tooth on the front and up 3 or 4 on the rear, but is that better than just dropping 2 on the front, ( i have not figuerd this ratio just using as an example) i was just wandering if there was an advantage to changing both the sprocket v/s just the 1. in our style of raccing (harescrambles) we never peg out, our averabe lap speed might be around 16 mph, but we still need alittle top end for the when we hit the fields or part of the m/x track.

kenjolly
12-24-2007, 07:07 AM
The front is the quickest way, but its not as exact as the rear can be.
I would do the front first try both the 18 and 17 and if thats not low enough then do some on the rear.

the stock tires and the 18 is about the same as snow hogs with a 19. So the 17 will give you some more low end.

You could even go smaller on the front but check the swing arm to make sure it not rubbibg to bad.

hotquads1
12-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Glenn I think these guys are right on the money , although alot guys dont have a chain breaker, so 2 chains in the box could save a little time . the frnt sprkt teeth are equal to about 2.6 teeth at the rear sprkt. Keep in mind if you move the ratio way down to the bottom when it hits the power band traction could be a problem , breakimg the tires loose , this is hard to control with that hard of a hit on the bottom.
marc