PDA

View Full Version : 400ex problems and stuff..

Ralphieg
12-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Alright.. i don't think i've posted here yet.. and i've been a user for a while.. but i'ma vent my problems out for you all :P and get some feed back on my winter project/problem which is driving me ape **** crazy...

I traded my 350rancherES to a used 2001 400ex yellow back at the begining of summer.. and i loved it.. even though it is a pile of.. crap.. every bearing is wore out on it.. the frames paint is chiping or fading whatever.. it has no tail light.. the steering stem is bent and its grimy where is was never washed till i got it..

------
over the course of 8 months or so.. i've rejetted it.. bought cleaner for the uni air filter.. changed both wheel bearings.. took all the red hosing covers they had on it off took all the gay *** stickers off... took the half broken nerf bars off.. but in new axle carrier bearing in.. new sprockets new chain... and now i need

tail light
steering stem
the bearings and bushing for the a-arms because they are wore out.. :@

and how do you know if your swingarms bearing is wore out?

also i bought some engine degreaser and i'ma try to clean it up with that and a wire brush

and my head pipe was orange.. and i've been using 800 -1000 grit sand paper to make it chrome again.. any other suggestions?

OH and what can i use to sand and paint the foot pegs and the sub frame?

thanks guys.. and if you all want pictures of the project i'll start.. but i got pictures of the fourwheeler right now at its current state if any one is interested in seein' =)
thanks for taking time and reading this

Hondamaster5505
12-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Ralphieg
Alright.. i don't think i've posted here yet.. and i've been a user for a while.. but i'ma vent my problems out for you all :P and get some feed back on my winter project/problem which is driving me ape **** crazy...

I traded my 350rancherES to a used 2001 400ex yellow back at the begining of summer.. and i loved it.. even though it is a pile of.. crap.. every bearing is wore out on it.. the frames paint is chiping or fading whatever.. it has no tail light.. the steering stem is bent and its grimy where is was never washed till i got it..

------
over the course of 8 months or so.. i've rejetted it.. bought cleaner for the uni air filter.. changed both wheel bearings.. took all the red hosing covers they had on it off took all the gay *** stickers off... took the half broken nerf bars off.. but in new axle carrier bearing in.. new sprockets new chain... and now i need

tail light
steering stem
the bearings and bushing for the a-arms because they are wore out.. :@

and how do you know if your swingarms bearing is wore out?

also i bought some engine degreaser and i'ma try to clean it up with that and a wire brush

and my head pipe was orange.. and i've been using 800 -1000 grit sand paper to make it chrome again.. any other suggestions?

OH and what can i use to sand and paint the foot pegs and the sub frame?

thanks guys.. and if you all want pictures of the project i'll start.. but i got pictures of the fourwheeler right now at its current state if any one is interested in seein' =)
thanks for taking time and reading this

To check if the swinger bearing is shot/loose, jack the quad up and see if you can move the rear end from side to side. Sometimes it gets bad enough where you'll be riding and the rear end will wobble like crazy.

For the sanding and painting, do you have a sandblaster to your availability?

You can hang them, sand blast them.

Then do a primer, 5 coats of the color you want, then a ckear coat.
If you dont have a sand blaster, start with rough grit paper and work your way to a fine sand paper

Hondamaster5505
12-22-2007, 09:24 PM
for the headpipe, if it IS chrome, try some chrome polish, stuff works wonders.

Ralphieg
12-22-2007, 09:26 PM
I don't have a sandblaster
what grits would you suggest
& my axle moves from side to side :S and i just put in new bearing.. but i didnt replace the swing arm seal because i didnt have one.. but now i have one and haven't put it in yet.... so do you think this will solve my problem.. or i have bad swingarm bearings?

and how dooo i change my shock settings??

i have all kinds of questions.. lol

newbie right? :P

Ralphieg
12-22-2007, 09:28 PM
eh.. i don't think its chrome.. but it has the chrome look.. i dunno what they are made out of.. it's the stock head pipe maybe aluminum??

Hondamaster5505
12-22-2007, 09:39 PM
To adjust the shocks, youll see a ridge on the bottom and you can spin the shock to make it go down a couple humps or up a couple humps.

All the way down is the lowest preload setting, and all the way up is highest.

The headpipe is stainless steal.

You can try either sanding it starting with a 300 grit than moving eventually to a 800 grit. Or you can paint it with hi-temp paint. Or black exhaust wrap that makes it solid black looking.

For the subframe/etc.
You can use like a rough 300 grit to maybe a 800 or higher, maybe someone else can help you better with that info

Hondamaster5505
12-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Just the axle moves? not the whole swingarm?

If thats it, its either bearings or your carrier could be shot..

Hondamaster5505
12-22-2007, 09:40 PM
and what shock, the rear or fronts, i gave you how to adjust the fronts, have no idea about the back

Ralphieg
12-22-2007, 09:43 PM
i'm not going to paint the head pipe.. just polish it up :P
and thanks for the shock info but i dont understand how to twist it? do i have to have a special tool?? and does that lower it too and make it ride softer?

and i just bought a new lsr carrier and bearings... :S i dunno..

all this stuff is new to me..

:p

Hondamaster5505
12-22-2007, 09:45 PM
i'm not going to paint the head pipe.. just polish it up :P
and thanks for the shock info but i dont understand how to twist it? do i have to have a special tool?? and does that lower it too and make it ride softer?

and i just bought a new lsr carrier and bearings... :S i dunno..

all this stuff is new to me..

:p

lol.

To turn the front shocks, get a big set of pliers or w/e you wanna call them, and grap the bottom where the humps are on the shocks.

By turning the preload all the way down, it makes it a little lower and ride nicer on the 400ex.

Ralphieg
12-22-2007, 09:47 PM
WOO :D thank youuuuuuuuu very muchhh

Hondamaster5505
12-22-2007, 09:49 PM
no problem :D

Hondamaster5505
12-22-2007, 09:51 PM
Oh, and the steering stem is able to be bent back.

Had to go throught that with mine. Its a pain in the A**!

It took an hour of blood, sweat, and heat. We finally got the f'er the get straight.

Its not worth it, buy a new stem;)

hahaha

Ralphieg
12-22-2007, 09:53 PM
yeah it looks like a b to bend back..

i love this new riding experience with sports fourwheelers.. they are more fun that utility but damn.. to keep them up is a pain in the ***.. they are sooo expensive and soooo much needs worked with them.. rawr

Hondamaster5505
12-22-2007, 09:57 PM
yeah it looks like a b to bend back..

i love this new riding experience with sports fourwheelers.. they are more fun that utility but damn.. to keep them up is a pain in the ***.. they are sooo expensive and soooo much needs worked with them.. rawr

well, once everything is straightened out, its not that bad. Just simple maintance after that and it'll last forever.

Once all the bullcrap problems are over, just changin the oil and cleaning the filter every once and a while, she'll be good:D

Riding atv's is one of the most stress relieving sports.

We also have a 4x4 in the family, wolvy 350.

Im only 14 so i go ridin w/ my dad mainly. Theres so many cool places if you travel west a bit.

Ralphieg
12-22-2007, 10:04 PM
i live 4 miles away from the start of the Daniel boone trails :P

http://www.danielboonetrails.com/aboutus.html

don't know if you've ever seen it in magz or anything or heard bout it.. it's also referred to as

the "diamond trial" it's pretty rad

Ralphieg
12-22-2007, 10:06 PM
actually heres a better thing of it

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=4wheeldrive&cdn=autos&tm=216&gps=368_526_1276_590&f=21&su=p284.8.150.ip_&tt=14&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/recreation/ohv_rb.shtml

tells you alot about the trails and stuff.. hey if you and your family like riding alot.. that'd be a hell of a vacation.. :P

Hondamaster5505
12-22-2007, 10:23 PM
well out of my 4 family members, 2 like to ride.

Me and my dad.

My sister used to but turned into a girly girl.

Yeah, were going to quadfest 2008 also. Its supposed to be awesome!

We hope to go to hatfield mccoy also. The place you showed also looks nice.

Out in middle PA, in the frackville/ashland area, theres tons of trails and coamines that are awesome!