PDA

View Full Version : need 450r carb help quickly!

Pipeless416
12-22-2007, 03:49 PM
hey guys, alright im having a problem with my 450r carb that i have on my 400. when i have the fuel petcock on, gas comes pouring out of the overflow tube on the bottom of the float bowl. if i hold the tube up so it cant pour out, the gas will back up into the air box and the intake ports. for reference, im running a 185K main, 52 pilot, needle on the stock setting or one clip down, i cant remember, and the a/f screw is about 2.5 turns out. when the fuel is turned off, it will keep draining out the overflow tube until the float bowl is empty. is this a float level problem?? i need to get this figured out before we go to little sahara next week! thanks in advance.

440challenger
12-22-2007, 06:24 PM
sounds like a dirty needle / seat,,, or someone bent the floats. If i remember right, you have the hold the carb on a 45 degree angle to set the float height.

Pipeless416
12-22-2007, 10:58 PM
thanks for the reply and after looking at my clymers manual im pretty sure its the float level. it states that "If the float is out of adjustment, the fuel level will be too high or too low, which can cause fuel overflow and poor engine performance." it also goes on to say that if its wrong, the float needs to be replaced because the stock 400 carb does not have an adjustable float. is it the same case with a stock 05 450r carb? and if it is adjustable, how do i go about doing it? ive never really messed with float levels...:confused:

440challenger
12-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Its kind of hard for me to describe how to set your float height. I actaully kind of doubt its your float. I personally would take your float out and clean the needle and seat. Lots of times the needle will build up corrosion on its sides and get stuck inside the seat. When you turn the gas on, the needle is stuck which means the float cant move, inturn the bowl fills up with fuel and pukes it out the overflow tube becuase the float cant level off and close the needle.

Pipeless416
12-23-2007, 09:44 AM
alright i'll go check that and see if it helps. i'll get back to you. thanks again!

boosted3g
12-23-2007, 02:09 PM
There is a flat head screw at the very bottom of the carb. It that is not tightened all the fuel will run out. It is in the area of the plug to get to the main on the very bottom. You can access it easily from the left side of the carb (fuel inlet side). This happened to me the first time i fired my 400 up with the 450r carb. It was running lean and i was trying every adjustment to see what they did. That one is just a drain for the fuel bowl. Hopefully that is it, real easy to fix.

Pipeless416
12-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by boosted3g
There is a flat head screw at the very bottom of the carb. It that is not tightened all the fuel will run out. It is in the area of the plug to get to the main on the very bottom. You can access it easily from the left side of the carb (fuel inlet side). This happened to me the first time i fired my 400 up with the 450r carb. It was running lean and i was trying every adjustment to see what they did. That one is just a drain for the fuel bowl. Hopefully that is it, real easy to fix.

funny you say that, i had the same thing happen to me lol. i think i figured out the problem. some wires running back from the wiring harness were pushing the carb a little bit sideways. last time i rejetted i must have put it back on so it was resting on the wires and they would not let it sit level. thanks for all the help guys! that was an expensive problem haha.

440challenger
12-24-2007, 07:26 AM
So what was actually wrong? lol

Pipeless416
12-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by 440challenger
So what was actually wrong? lol

this is a complete guess, but i think with the carb being unlevel, the float was not working properly. the float a little bit uneven, i dont believe it could maintain the proper level of gas, so it was keeping the inlet open.