PDA

View Full Version : Hiper rear wheels - no beadlock for mx?

quad2xtreme
12-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Anyone running them? I usually run about 8 lbs of pressure.

Right now, I have the dual beadlock with integrated hubs for the Honda axle. This has been a complete nightmare!!! The engineer for this needs his teeth kicked in. It is next to impossible to get a cotter pin threw the castle nut because they don't give you any room. I spent longer trying to get a cotter pin on one of my wheels than I did completely changing the axle bearings.

I tried calling Hiper and talked to a lady there. She couldn't help me. I heard her talking to another guy in the background. He said he wasn't talking to me because I was right that it was a ****ty design. He told her to put me through to the engineer who designed them. The engineer hasn't called me back in two weeks. I know why. There is no explanation for how you can install the cotter pin to hold the hub nut on. You literally have to bend it, get it part way through while trying to straighten that section, while bending the next section. I tried using a smaller cotter pin. The nut backed out and sliced through the cotter pin.

I hate to say it but I am going to sell my integrated hubs to somebody with enough patience to spend a few hours getting a cotter pin through the hole. I even drilled out the hole in my axle two sizes so it would go through easier.

My biggest concern is investing more $$$ in Hipe wheels and having the tire slip loose. If anyone running the new wheels could respond, I would appreciate it.

YZ400EX
12-22-2007, 02:44 PM
I run the same wheels as you do and I dont have near the problems you are saying with the pin.. I dont use the factory ones, but ones I bought from a hardware store.. I also place a THIN washer behind the nut because once they are there even with a pin in there it will allow the nut to back off because the nut goes on too far w/out the washer.. I dont know if these are the types of pins you are using on your wheels, but you may want to check them out.. They take less than 5 seconds to put in.. seriously..:D the ones I use are much smaller than the pic I have here, but make sure they are the exact diameter of the hole in your axle.

quad2xtreme
12-22-2007, 05:02 PM
I will post a high-res picture of me trying to insert this type of pin.

NJ450rider
12-23-2007, 07:39 AM
Hiper stopped selling the intergrated hubs a long time ago due to many many design flaws and errors. If i were you id defintaly ditch them and order some regular center sections to put back in. taking hiper wheels apart is super easy ive done it many times.

YZ400EX
12-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by NJ450rider
Hiper stopped selling the intergrated hubs a long time ago due to many many design flaws and errors. If i were you id defintaly ditch them and order some regular center sections to put back in. taking hiper wheels apart is super easy ive done it many times.

I dont think you can just swap the hubs in the current wheels to ones like they have in the other wheels..Can you??

quad2xtreme
12-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks, I never even considered that I could convert my wheels.

quad2xtreme
12-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by YZ400EX
I dont think you can just swap the hubs in the current wheels to ones like they have in the other wheels..Can you??

Not sure but I will call Hiper next week to find out.

So if I did get non-beadlock, anyone think this is an issue on the mx track?

YZ400EX
12-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Not sure but I will call Hiper next week to find out.

So if I did get non-beadlock, anyone think this is an issue on the mx track?

To me I dont think the non beadlock would be as good for mx.. Thats why I went to beadlock is because I would always pop the beads in the corners.. Why would you want the non beadlock anyway?? to save money?? if thats the case then just buy a used set of the hipers with dual beadlock with a 4/110 pattern or the Honda/Yamaha pattern.. You could probably get into those as cheap as you could buy the non beadlocks for and would be happier with the wheel I think..:D

NJ450rider
12-23-2007, 09:37 AM
UMM y wouldnt you? The tech 3's at one time came with intergrated hubs or without. Either way there still a 3 piece wheel in construction. if you can take them apart you can swap in a new center piece. it should be that easy as far as i know. Ive done a few repairs to my hipers over the years and even the older style wheels the newest gen parts still fit on them. the design has always been the same idea just minor design changes here and there. nothing significant to where parts dont interchange old or new.

Just be lucky that u never had the splines on the hubs strip and rip out while you were riding or worse racing and dnf. that is the main reason why they got rid of them asap. aluminum splines were wayyyyy to weak for racing applications. ive even heard a few stories of wheels flying off while riding!!!!

When you call hiper see if they will exchange your intergrated hubs for regular center sections. ive heard a polite persuasion they will exchange them for new ones and you pay the shipping. If not second would be to get them at a discounted rate since you got the wheels but want to fix them. If i remember correctly new center pieces are between 50 and 75 a side. so if you can get them to hook you up do so. there usually pretty good about making things right. good luck

kbass24emtp
12-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by YZ400EX

No you can not. I've called Hiper and they said that the off-set will be wrong.

StrongRacing43
12-23-2007, 11:14 AM
I would not run non-beadlock hiper rears for mx. I think the non-beadlock fronts would be fine, but the rears take so much bashing.
I would atleast get a set of ITP Baja's. I think they are cheaper then the non-beadlocks and they have a re-enforcement ring.

quad2xtreme
12-23-2007, 01:08 PM
I run the front non-bead locks with 10-12 lbs and haven't had any problems. I run the rear with 7-9 lbs. I just wondered if beadlocks are necessary. I watch a lot of people run stock wheels and the only ones I see having a problem are running 4 lbs of air.

So, I hear people say you need beadlocks for xc riding. Just exactly who should be using the non-beadlock wheels...riders in the sand?

/Jon

TheNewn
12-26-2007, 05:12 AM
I don't race or anything. But that tire pressure seems pretty high. As high as 12PSI in the front? i only run 7 i think. And like 5 in the rear.

Is it just one of the finer details of racing? Need more pressure in the tires?

300ex mxracer
12-26-2007, 06:44 AM
yes exactly. we run higher tire pressures to make sure the tire stays on the bead. i run up to around 14psi in the front and 12psi in the rear depending on the track. more psi= loosens up the quad.

if you are racing pretty hard mx, i would get beadlocks. i ran itp bajas for a while and i had to run like 12 psi all the time so i didn't blow the tire of the bead. also if you get a flat tire, the beadlock will keep the tire on the rim instead of flying off. that way you can limp around and at least finish instead of taking a dnf.

DEVINF450R
01-02-2008, 02:15 PM
the flat tire thing is true. also if you are a "faster" mx racer you will slam your rear tires and wheels into many burms, ruts, and bumps every lap. Beadlocks are must unless you are a c-rider. Beadlocks are not necessary for the front though. And get a single ring bead for the rear, they work as well and are lighter/cheaper. made for mx:macho

quad2xtreme
01-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I plan to order the single beadlocks.

I have dual beadlock now so I could run lower tire pressure but I run the higher pressure because the bike feels better. I am sure this has to do with the Stadium shocks in the front and C&D reworked the rear shock to match.

And yes, I was trying to save a few bucks going with the non-beadlocks...of course, it is never a savings if it doesn't work out. I am not a "B" class rider but does a "C" class rider @ 210 lbs = a "B" class rider in the turns? :D If so, how much weight would I need to gain to be an "A" class rider. lol.